Cycling is healthy!

Old February 3rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cycling is healthy!

Proof that cycling is good for your health from the Northampton Chronicle &
Echo (aka Comical Error).

What I want to know is was he wearing a h£lm£t? By the injuries it sounds
like our man was not. Maybe if he had been -------

http://tinyurl.com/b47d4

Cycle crash saved life

THE mother of a policeman who received head injuries when he fell off his
bicycle has said she was grateful the accident happened because it led to
the discovery of a brain tumour.

Sergeant Andrew Stirling, aged 49, was cycling to work at Campbell Square
Police Station last week when he came off his bicycle in Kingsthorpe Road,
near Netto.

He fell from the bike breaking his collar-bone while also receiving
extensive bruising and head injuries.
His mother Olive Stirling, who lives with husband James, aged 77, of The
Vale, Kingsley, said he was remarkably lucky.

The 73-year-old added: "He is fortunate in a way. We wouldn't have known
about the tumour otherwise."
Although Mr Stirling does not remember what happened, police believe he
swerved to avoid two pedestrians stepping into the road.

They are unsure whether the men deliberately stepped into his pathway or if
it was an accident because the men left the scene.

Passers-by called for help and he was rushed to Northampton General Hospital
by ambulance.
While at the hospital, doctors decided to take x-rays and do a brain scan
because he had head injuries.
By chance they discovered a small brain tumour and he was immediately
admitted to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford for surgery.

His mother said his wife and grown-up children had been at his bedside.

She added: "I know he is suffering but it is a small price to pay for what
could have been."

Mr Stirling, a father-of-three from Boughton, is currently recovering in
hospital and waiting for the biopsy results.

His mother said: "We are just waiting now. He may need another operation, we
don't know until we get the biopsy results."

But she said it had been a very difficult time for the family and added:
"The last week has been a nightmare. We shall be glad when next week is
over."

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said: "An officer is keeping in
regular contact with Andrew and his family, providing any support that it
necessary."

The blow to his family has come just two months after Mr Stirling appeared
at Northampton Crown Court accused of fiddling his expenses.

After a five day trial he was acquitted of forging receipts to pay for
takeaway food and ready made meals for himself and his wife Pat.

The police are appealing for the two men involved in the accident or any
other witnesses to come forward. Anyone with information can call 08453
700700.

Old February 3rd 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Tony W" wrote in message
Proof that cycling is good for your health from the Northampton Chronicle
& Echo (aka Comical Error).

What I want to know is was he wearing a h£lm£t? By the injuries it sounds
like our man was not. Maybe if he had been -------

Sounds like he was working off all those takeaways ... oh, no, he was
aquitted ..

[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 01:36 AM
published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 04:16 AM
Healthy cycling begins with a bike that fits Garrison L. Hilliard Techniques 0 August 16th 04 05:00 PM
The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes bikerider7 UK 141 May 31st 04 04:05 PM
More Paris Cycling - Along Southern Rim Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 4 May 26th 04 02:01 AM