S&S travel bike-their hard case or the soft case?

Old February 6th 05, 03:44 AM
eflayer2

Default S&S travel bike-their hard case or the soft case?

I am considering a coupled bike. S&S sells a soft case with ABS inserts
and the case collapses to small when empty. They sell a hardshell case
that might protect better. Which would you buy and why? The Co-Motion
folks recommend the soft case.

Old February 6th 05, 10:52 AM
Luke

In article . com,
eflayer2 wrote:

I am considering a coupled bike. S&S sells a soft case with ABS inserts
and the case collapses to small when empty. They sell a hardshell case
that might protect better. Which would you buy and why? The Co-Motion
folks recommend the soft case.

I bought the soft case. Initially I was uncertain whether the soft case
would prove adequate, but thus far my (limited) experience has allayed
my anxiety.

It must be emphasized: Regardless of whether the case be hard or soft,
exercising due diligence in packing the bike *significantly* decreases
the odds your bike will suffer. For me, the damage sustained (purely
cosmetic) from shipping can be attributed to how the disassembled bike
was arranged within the case: When the bike was packed loosely,
jostling of the soft pack caused shifting and scratching.

S&S offers a 'manual' on how to pack the bike. Read it and experiment.
Indeed, when the bike is packed properly--that is, when all empty
pockets are stuffed with clothes and filler, and more vulnerable
components are shielded by others less fragile and/or wrapped (using
the velcro wrap S&S sells as an accessory)--I can sit and even stand
atop the case (as it lays on its side) without damaging the bike.

luke
Old February 6th 05, 11:21 AM
Tom Sherman

Luke wrote:

In article . com,
eflayer2 wrote:

[...]

What about when the TSA worker (for those flying from or within the US)
dumps everything out and tries to repack it?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 6th 05, 03:28 PM
itsfred

eflayer2 wrote:
I am considering a coupled bike. S&S sells a soft case with ABS

inserts
and the case collapses to small when empty. They sell a hardshell

case
that might protect better. Which would you buy and why? The Co-Motion
folks recommend the soft case.

I had really bad luck with the hard case - the cassette sits upwards in
the middle of the box, threatening to scratch everything near it. The
case must be pulled and tugged to accommodate 700c wheels with tires,
the hardware is utter crap, the wheels wobble incessantly, and once a
TSA inspector opens it, it's basically impossible to close correctly
because the top tire sticks inside the lid, capturing the stress relief
columns with it.

Since the soft-case just doesn't look airline-durable to me I tried the
case Ritchey offers for their Break-away bike and and I am VERY happy
with it. Easy packing, plenty of room, the cassette is neatly hidden
away instead of sitting up in the middle of the case (as it does in the
S&S hard case, sturdy reinfrced side panels, interior pockets, strong
materials, easy for TSA to open and close, and it dissassembles and
folds up very compactly after you remove the bike.

In principle it's an inch or two above the airlines maximums but I've
flown internationally 6 times and never been questioned.

Fred Roses

Old February 6th 05, 07:08 PM
Joselas

"itsfred" wrote in message
oups.com...

Since the soft-case just doesn't look airline-durable to me I tried the
case Ritchey offers for their Break-away bike and and I am VERY happy
with it. Easy packing, plenty of room, the cassette is neatly hidden
away instead of sitting up in the middle of the case (as it does in the
S&S hard case, sturdy reinfrced side panels, interior pockets, strong
materials, easy for TSA to open and close, and it dissassembles and
folds up very compactly after you remove the bike.

In principle it's an inch or two above the airlines maximums but I've
flown internationally 6 times and never been questioned.

Fred Roses

Were you using an S&S coupled bike or the Ritchey breakaway bike?

Old February 6th 05, 07:44 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per itsfred:
the
case Ritchey offers for their Break-away bike

In principle it's an inch or two above the airlines maximums...

Speaking of break-down bikes... Has anybody tried two separate cases?

I'm looking at my Maverick-style FS and thinking the pieces might even fit in
standard luggage.

Seems logical bc you get two bags in the baggage allowance and I'm guessing that
with two they could be made 100% legal - and fit in somebody's car at the other
end easier too. Assuming, of course, that stuffing everything else you're
traveling with in with the bike parts is acceptable.

--
PeteCresswell
Old February 6th 05, 09:54 PM
Luke

In article , Tom Sherman
wrote:

What about when the TSA worker (for those flying from or within the US)
dumps everything out and tries to repack it?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Unfortunately, the case is not completely idiot proof.

luke
Old February 7th 05, 04:26 AM
itsfred

Joselas wrote:
Were you using an S&S coupled bike or the Ritchey breakaway bike?

Yes believe it or not I have THREE S&S coupled bikes - a Roark Ti,
Landshark steel, and Bilenky lugged tourer. The S&S bikes fit just as
well in the Ritchey case as the Breakaway would.

Fred Roses

Old February 11th 05, 03:55 AM
jasong

Fred, international flights typically will allow for a HUGE box to carry
a bicycle, which can measure as large as a normal bike box and weigh up
to 100 lbs. The problem comes in with a domestic carrier and they hit
you $125 round trip for exceeding 62" and 50lbs, and they say they have
to handle the bag by hand because it's too large for any of the
machines. Now you've lost the price of a suitcase and it's too late to
change your mind because your there 60 minutes before takeoff.

Though I've had 0 problems so far, I'm still always scared to travel
with my S&S bike after about 10 flights with it. It's a hit or miss. I
watched them load mine last time in Paris and they tossed my 70lb box
right on top of a bunch of soft suitcases, which could have been your
bike. I really am in the dark into what goes on behind the scenes with
the baggage, but expect the worst.

Someone else's suggestion of carrying things in 2 boxes is right on. I
carry my handlebars in my normal suitcase which makes life incredibly
easier and it virtually doesn't take up space, if considering the
volume of the drop bars/shifters. I also go ahead and unscrew the rear
derailleur, pull the stem off the fork, pull out the fork, and leave
the frame with the bare BB and put the cranks elsewhere.

I built my own suitcase, FYI. It's 1/4" plywood whose corners use heavy
duty galv steel metal corners and has no wheels. I wheel it on a 3lb
trolley that I take with me as carryon. This necessitates that they
carry this thing by hand and there is less to break off. Though that
wasn't my intent when building it (the $400 S&S box was too much for
me, knowing it was going to be damaged eventually), it has been a nice
side effect. Parts were only around $40-50. Covered in canvas with
spray on adhesive, and that still hasn't come off very much. Nice part
is that anywhere in the world I can repair this for little money with
minimal tools.

Is there a thread of people that have, for domestic flights, been
surcharged for slightly exceeding baggage limits?

itsfred Wrote:[color=blue]

Old February 11th 05, 05:30 PM
eflayer2

The problem comes in with a domestic carrier and they hit
you $125 round trip for exceeding 62" and 50lbs, and they say they have

to handle the bag by hand because it's too large for any of the
machines. Now you've lost the price of a suitcase and it's too late to
change your mind because your there 60 minutes before takeoff.

What do you mean by this statement? If the bike is in an s and s hard
case, would it ever incur extra charges?

I spoke to Sands Machine and asked them point blank which case is the
best for airline travel. They said a properly packed hard case is the
best. Of course no guarantees, but that was their advice without
hesitation. I found a used hard case and took the leap to make the
purchase. It is one substantial piece of luggage. Hope it works!

jasong wrote:
[...]

part[color=blue]