Mike Hanley asleep at the wheel again?

Old June 12th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Mike Hanley asleep at the wheel again?

http://www.tourofelkgrove.com

Saturday, August 11, 2007 (2.3 Mile Criterium Course)

9:00 AM Pro Men Stage 1 Time-Trial $15,000 4.5 miles
11:45 AM Women Cat. 3/4 $3,000 20 Mins.+ 1 lap WHAT THE ****??
12:15 PM Juniors 10-14 Awards 3 laps
12:40 PM Juniors 15-18 Awards 20 Mins.+ 1 lap What the
****?????
1:10 PM Men Cat. 5 - Heat 1 Awards 20 Mins.+ 1 lap
1:40 PM Men Cat. 5 - Heat 2 Awards 20 Mins.+ 1 lap
2:10 PM Men Cat. 3/4 $5,000 20 Mins. + 1 lap
2:45 PM Pro-AM Men Cat. 1/2 $17,500 60K
5:30 PM Pro Men Stage 2 $32,500 80K

Sunday, August 12, 2007 (1.7 Mile Criterium Course)

9:00 AM Masters Men Cat. 4/5 $3,000 35 Mins.+ 1 lap Cat 5's can race
for cash now???? When did this happen?

9:45 AM Masters Men Cat. 1/2/3 $4,000 35 Mins.+ 1 lap
10:30 AM Mayor's Challenge Awards 4 laps
11:05 AM Trustees Fun Ride 1 lap
11:30 AM Big Wheel Race 2-7 Awards 100 meters
12:15 PM Pro Women Cat. 1/2 $15,000 60K
2:00 PM Alexian Brothers Pro Men Stage 3 $105,000 110K

Old June 12th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Philosophically I am with you on handing out large prize lists to
lower category racers. In my experience it leads to lots of lesser
skilled riders eating lots of pavement. The race is sponsored by a
hospital so maybe that's the point, eh? At any rate, mixing
categories allows them to do this.

they had one of these big money cat 3 races here in OH a few years
ago ... and you had guys rushing to downgrade in time for the race,
then afterwards sandbagging complaints and checking to see if
categories were legit. what a hassle.

in the larger picture ... we should be giving guys more incentive to
MOVE UP, not down or stay the same. Many of the races here the last
few years have small 1/2 fields and then 3/4 fields that are 2 or 3x
as large.

Old June 12th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

wrote:
Philosophically I am with you on handing out large prize lists to
lower category racers. In my experience it leads to lots of lesser
skilled riders eating lots of pavement. The race is sponsored by a
hospital so maybe that's the point, eh? At any rate, mixing
categories allows them to do this.

they had one of these big money cat 3 races here in OH a few years
ago ... and you had guys rushing to downgrade in time for the race,
then afterwards sandbagging complaints and checking to see if
categories were legit. what a hassle.

in the larger picture ... we should be giving guys more incentive to
MOVE UP, not down or stay the same. Many of the races here the last
few years have small 1/2 fields and then 3/4 fields that are 2 or 3x
as large.

In Wisconsin this would be the Superweek effect. It used to be the
case that no one would upgrade before Superweek. This race, which is
effectively at the end of the season, will extend that.

I didn't notice it before but some of those races have 175 rider field
limits. Bike racing is entertainment, and 175 riders in a crit will
certainly be entertaining.

And don't get me started on pro Masters racing. Just don't.

Bob Schwartz
Old June 12th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 12, 8:49 am, Bob Schwartz
[...]

Amateur racing should get NOTHING but trophies or nothing at all.
Anyone that accepts prize money should be immediately disqualified as
an amateur for 5 years.

Old June 12th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 12, 11:49 am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

And don't get me started on pro Masters racing. Just don't.

hey, what other excuse then could we tell our wives for why we need to
race every weekend?

Old June 13th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:51:31 -0000, "
wrote:
they had one of these big money cat 3 races here in OH a few years
ago ... and you had guys rushing to downgrade in time for the race,
then afterwards sandbagging complaints and checking to see if
categories were legit. what a hassle.

in the larger picture ... we should be giving guys more incentive to
MOVE UP, not down or stay the same. Many of the races here the last
few years have small 1/2 fields and then 3/4 fields that are 2 or 3x
as large.

Yeah.
--
JT
****************************
Old June 13th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 12, 10:49 am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

And don't get me started on pro Masters racing. Just don't.

I'm curious, so can you elaborate?

Old June 13th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
xzzy

Duped,

Someone has duped you into thinking that there is a unlimited amount of time
in a day to run all the races at an event.

Not even Mike can change a 24 hour day into a 30 hour day, or change the
number of daylight hours in a day.

Old June 13th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 13, 9:23 am, "xzzy" wrote:
Duped,

Someone has duped you into thinking that there is a unlimited amount of time
in a day to run all the races at an event.

Not even Mike can change a 24 hour day into a 30 hour day, or change the
number of daylight hours in a day.

he's not complaining about the time ...

someone has duped the promoters into thinking cat 4s, cat 3s, and Pro
Masters should get Pro money (well, dreamer-Pro money). and duped the
cat 4s, 3s and PM's into expecting it.