3 flat tires in a row??

Old April 15th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 3 flat tires in a row??

i just bought a new bike - a trek 7200 (hybrid) - and i've been riding
it through NYC

got a flat one day, paid $16 to get it fixed (new tube)

rode around that day, got another flat, paid $16 to get it fixed
(there was a spike sticking out of it ... so ... bad luck?)

that was 1 week ago ... rode around every day since, got another flat
tire

always the back tire

what gives?

coincidence?

bike shop doing a bad job? maybe missing the fact that a spoke is
protruding and stabbing my tube or something?

am i a fat, fat man?

does jumping a curb kill a tube? i never had this happen on my old
7200's (i rode 2 before this one, i love the 7200)

are there more hazards on the roads in april? broken bottles leftover
from st patty's or something?

the bike shop is metro bicycles on 14th st and 1st ave - generally
good guys

if this is just coincidence it's really enough to drive me nuts
Old April 15th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
c wrote:
[...]

Dude, buy some tubes and a pump and learn how to fix your own (and
others') flats. 16 bucks a pop?!? Sheesh.

No kiddin! Geez whiz, man. Get a clue or go broke. Find another bike
shop, too.

Inspect the tube to see the reason for each flat. Consider inflating to max
pressure to prevent pinch flats. Inspect your tires before/after a ride for
things that may be in them. Look at where you are riding...if you see glass,
go around it.

Go online and buy tubes 10 at a time when on sale. Get a patch kit and
some tire levels...learn how to fix a flat (bicycletutor.com)

Old April 15th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

c wrote:

if this is just coincidence it's really enough to drive me nuts

You should always know for your own info why you got a flat. I'm
fanatical about airing my tires up before every ride. No pinch flats
for several years. I paid for a shop to fix some flats when I first
started and thought 5 bucks was a lot, so I started fixing them myself.
It is not hard, though it still takes me a long time. I use kevlar
belted tires. Fewer flats, almost none lately for the last year.

Hope you figure this out.
Old April 15th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Apr 15, 11:21*am, c wrote:
[...]

You pay someone to fix a flat???? As mentioned, buy some tubes and fix
your own.
Old April 15th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

What they all said, plus: there are bound to be times and places where
fixing a flat is way easier than pushing the bike to a shop.

Old April 15th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 15, 3:50 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
What they all said, plus: there are bound to be times and places where
fixing a flat is way easier than pushing the bike to a shop.

i pay because i have the $20 more easily than i have the 20-ish
minutes fixing a flat - i've fixed flats before, it's not rocket
science

the point was - ever get 3 flats in a row? what's with that? is that
normal?

think the shop is screwing up and missing something that could be
causing the flats (always the back tire) - like a spoke sticking
through the wheel or something?

doesn't it seem a little odd?
Old April 15th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

c wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:50 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
What they all said, plus: there are bound to be times and places where
fixing a flat is way easier than pushing the bike to a shop.

i pay because i have the $20 more easily than i have the 20-ish
minutes fixing a flat - i've fixed flats before, it's not rocket
science

the point was - ever get 3 flats in a row? what's with that? is that
normal?

think the shop is screwing up and missing something that could be
causing the flats (always the back tire) - like a spoke sticking
through the wheel or something?

doesn't it seem a little odd?

I had a rash of random flats the last rainy season before I changed out
my tires on both bikes. It was always little slivers of rock and glass,
in different locations. The only thing you don't know is what caused
the flats. I'd want to find that out for sure if I were you.
Otherwise, we are all just guessing. I learned the hard way that it is
not enough just to fix the flat by patching the tube, changing out the
tube, etc. I left a thin little metal wire in a tire once and promptly
got another flat. Hope you figure it out.
Old April 15th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

i pay because i have the $20 more easily than i have the 20-ish
minutes fixing a flat - i've fixed flats before, it's not rocket
science

To each his own, but I concur with those who say you should get a patch
kit and a frame pump and do your own. Surely the time you spend getting
the bike to the shop, filling out paperwork, waiting for their employee to
fix it, returning to pick the bike up, and whatever incidentals I've
missed, all adds up to more than "20-ish minutes."
I had four flats in ten miles of riding last fall, way out in the
middle of nowhere (Elberta, Utah). Patched the first flat, and the tube
because it had a good-sized hole in it. Started to put the thing back
together, and had the stem blow. (This was a metal Presta stem. It tore
loose where it attached to the rubber.) Replaced the tube (another thing
you should do: carry a spare), rode about five miles, had another flat.
Checked to see if it was from the same cause as the first. Nope,
completely different position on the wheel. Patched again, headed for the
nearest town. Limped into town on a slow leak, and was supremely
fortunate that there was a very good bike shop just blocks away. [Well
deserved plug: it was Downhill Cyclery in Payson, Utah.] Got there only
to find that a new tire and tube cost more money than I had on me, but
fortunately I have the number of one of my credit cards memorized and the
guy in the shop hand-entered it. Put the new rubber on, and finished the
ride.
Moral: you may not have your next flat close to a bike shop. Carry a
patch kit and pump, MINIMUM. Consider using Kevlar tires, armor strips,
and/or Slimed tubes. (You'll get a lot of debate on their relative merits
on this NG.) If you're going far afield, carry spare tube, or two, and
consider a spare tire as well. Also carry money or plastic. Were you
ever a Boy Scout? Remember the motto?

Bill

__o | Be prepared, and be careful not to do
_`\(,_ | Your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
(_)/ (_) | --Tom Lehrer
Old April 15th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

wrote:

Also carry money or plastic.

Not a bad idea. I always carry my cell phone but not much else.
Old April 15th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

i pay because i have the $20 more easily than i have the 20-ish
minutes fixing a flat - i've fixed flats before, it's not rocket
science

It's not rocket science to know that if you flat on a ride and don't fix it
yourself, it's going to take a lot more than 20-ish minutes to let the bike
shop do it. Unless, of course, you're riding to the bike shop and getting a
flat once you get there. Then it might take less time to let them fix it.
Geez...

Define normal? When **** happens is that normal? Yes, it is normal for ****
to happen. And what about extra ****? Is it normal for extra **** to happen
sometimes? Er, yep. Sometimes **** heaps up upon ****.

think the shop is screwing up and missing something that could be
causing the flats (always the back tire) - like a spoke sticking
through the wheel or something?

Well, if you think they are screwing up, remove them from the equation and
screw up yourself. Or, perhaps you'll be more motivated than they are to
make sure YOU don't flat out.

doesn't it seem a little odd?

Yes, that you're willing to pay $20 for flat after flat after flat?

Flat Resistant or Flat Proof Tires Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 9 February 3rd 07 06:35 AM
Mysterious flat tires Bob Newman General 22 June 3rd 06 02:37 AM
Run Flat tires Bert L.am Techniques 19 December 15th 04 11:27 AM
Kerry's flat tires Art Harris General 133 November 10th 04 01:13 AM
Flat Tires TRIKKE8 Australia 0 November 7th 04 03:39 PM