Crown design poll, we need YOUR opinion.

Old June 15th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Default Crown design poll, we need YOUR opinion.

Right guys,

I'll keep it brief. Final stages of our first prototype.

This frame is a trials style frame, aimed for trials riding and street.
We have two crown options, but one is far stronger than the other. Here
we go:

WEAKER FLAT CROWN

[image:
http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/galler...1635_2195.jpg]

STRONGER SEMI-FLAT CROWN

[image:
http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/galler...1635_1388.jpg]

If this were to be released on the market, which would you prefer? We
wanted to go for the KH style crown replica, but the engineer stated
specifically that it is not a strong design if we are using thin
tubing. For the material we are using, thin tubing is all there is, so
options are limited.

*For the flat crown*, the pic I showed about is the strongest we can
get it without it being extremely aesthetically displeasing. The red
lines are cross-welds to stop the crown cracking across the original
welds, i have seen some frame crack like this so I opt for wrap-around
gussets and cross welds to help reinforce it.

*For the semi-flat crown*, this is one of the strongest designs we can
get for a frame of this thin tubing and material. It is a Devil style
design but we cut off the legs' tops because it looks ugly and hits
knees really badly. This is more a pure trials and Kevin M street
frame, but it is still possible to glide on it and do donkey kicks
because there will be 1mm of leg poking above what i showed in the pic,
allowing a small area to stand on.

We do not want to go for a Devil frame look, because it's such a common
design already and it's just horrible to ride with.

It's up to you guys to help us decide what crown to use. Please
remember it's one or the other, we have thought of almost a dozen other
crown variations but these two are the best of their category. So
what's it going to be? Mega-gusseted and reinforced flat crown or the
stronger semi-flat crown.

Trust me, with the thin tubing we have to use, the semi-flat crown is
stronger. But we are trying to get the flat crown as strong as possible
by adding gussets and cross-welds.

*NB: To those that already know about this project, I ask you to please
keep quiet about the brand and material that are being worked with.
Thank you.*

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*Quote Joe Hodges: "Bikes are made for trials, unis aren't."*

Our Koxx-One video to be released for FLUCK
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I wouldn't mind an angled crown that much, as an angled crown isn't too
bad for freestyle, especialy since. I just wouldn't want it too angled.
Clearly the XTP is too angled, and obviously a flat frame isn't angled
enough for strength purposes. I think if there could be a medium point
found where it didn't hurt freestyle stuff too much but was still
stronger it would be great. I think that with the tops of the tubes cut
off of something, that wouldn't be too bad.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Probailer2

I vote for the Semi flatland crown.
After all it's for trial.

Peter M

--
Probailer2

Supported by 'municycle.com'
(www.municycle.com)

habbywall wrote:
I bet yoggi would like that. It looks comfortable for nude riding.

kris.lee wrote:
as far as i know, you dont like the koxx unis, you love KH

Evan Byrne wrote:

OWNED!!!!

iridemymuni wrote:
just like that time you got owned by that tennis net?

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

I am getting the CAD drawing for the semi-flat crown from the engineer
soon, hopefully today.

It may be slightly different to what is shown in the picture, but it is
based off the devil crown design but cut.

EDIT: please note, for the FLAT crown, obviously if we made it like
that, we would definitely strive to keep it stronger than Koxx's
signature crown as the Sig's crowns are apparently defective. I am
basing the FLAT crown design off Dan/Zack B's titanium frame crown but
added the wrap around gussets under the crown to reinforce it further.

Old June 15th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Probailer2

Sponge wrote:
I am getting the CAD drawing for the semi-flat crown from the engineer
soon, hopefully today.

It may be slightly different to what is shown in the picture, but it is
based off the devil crown design but cut.

EDIT: please note, for the FLAT crown, obviously if we made it like
that, we would definitely strive to keep it stronger than Koxx's
signature crown as the Sig's crowns are apparently defective. I am
basing the FLAT crown design off Dan/Zack B's titanium frame crown but
added the wrap around gussets under the crown to reinforce it further.

Dan's frame did break a few time's I heard, where did it break?

Peter M

--
Probailer2

Supported by 'municycle.com'
(www.municycle.com)

kris.lee wrote:
as far as i know, you dont like the koxx unis, you love KH

Evan Byrne wrote:

OWNED!!!!

Old June 15th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Peter, you see on the signature frame, the diagonal weld that joins the
crown to the leg? there was a huge crack on one of the welds there.

The lollipops on dan's frame also cracked.

Old June 15th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_jim

i have a semi-flat, i like it more than a flat.

--
uni_jim

phthoruth wrote:
just because Kris can do it, doesnt mean its possible

'evolve trials'
(http://tinyurl.com/2uho7c)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nickjb

If you like the flat crown I wouldn't dismiss it as an inherently weak
design. When I had a close look at those sig frames I wasn't at all
impressed with the production quality. I wouldn't be at all suprised if
any failure was down that. DM made some similar frames and I'm not
aware of any of those breaking although they were probably made of
solid steel knowing DM

--
nickjb

*Severn Wheelers.* Bristol's best (and only) unicycle hockey club
Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
KlownLife

ntappin wrote:
I think if there could be a medium point found where it didn't hurt
freestyle stuff too much but was still stronger it would be great.

To be honest, I've never heard of a freestyle rider breaking their
frame and if they have, I doubt it's from pure freestyle, there really
is no need to make a stronger freestyle frame.

--
KlownLife

One hop is a gift, two hops...now you're just taking the ****!

*'Unicycle.com'
(http://www.unicycle.uk.com/)*
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 15th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

What's wrong with a *stronger* flat crown? Weight is less important than
function and durability. If you want super-light, you have to be
prepared for more breakage.

I have broken two Miyata frames over the years. One was from bad custom
work I did on it, but the other broke from doing Freestyle tricks.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

RR; The Crown MartinM UK 0 September 25th 06 11:46 PM
*Diamond Crown* polyphonic Hippie Unicycling 8 April 12th 06 05:26 PM
*Diamond Crown* trials_uni Unicycling 0 April 11th 06 10:42 PM
iPod catching up fast in "Iconic Design" poll Mike Causer UK 8 July 1st 05 07:07 PM
marzocchi crown again Jerry Everetts Mountain Biking 4 November 7th 03 05:32 AM