A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jobst

Old September 13th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC
external usenet poster

Default Jobst

On 8/26/2017 6:28 PM, wrote:
I do remember him being an insufferable ass but so were a lot of people. He was pretty knowledgeable but I seem to remember that he would grow quite angry if you corrected him and you were right.

What do you guys remember about Jobst?

Jobst was very educated but was not perfect and could be rather arrogant
at times.

Mostly he was correct, but not always.
Usually he only answered questions that somebody had asked, and there
was a LOT of questions through the years.

There would be little point in re-hashing the "wrong" times now.

Ads
Old September 13th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jobst

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:51:28 AM UTC-7, Doug Cimperman wrote:
I do remember him being an insufferable ass but so were a lot of people.. He was pretty knowledgeable but I seem to remember that he would grow quite angry if you corrected him and you were right.

at times.

And I didn't until someone noted that I had a couple of entries in newsgroups entitled "Tom Kunich is an Asshole".

While researching that I discovered that one was from racist kid I fired off of an assembly line when after a year he couldn't do the job as well as a Mexican girl with two months. And he got angry when I promoted another Mexican woman over him.

The other was by an engineer I fired for incompetency.

In those entries was one by Jobst printing my name, address and phone number. While they were correct why did he do that? What's worse is that there is something like 37 people in the US with that name including one in my own town that he could very well have published incorrectly. None of these others are related to me since the name is common.

In any case Jobst and I butted heads often enough usually about engineering matters since I was manager at some pretty good companies while doing at least half the work of my entire staff.

I never held any of his attacks very personal other than to give him a hard time about. But that posting made him a LOT of personal enemies since very few people thought that amusing.

Do you remember argument that went through here about chains and finally someone posted the actual difference in chain widths from 5 through 12 speed? There WAS a measurable difference and indeed it wasn't people's imaginations that you had to have the proper speed chain for the proper number of gears.

My memory of Jobst would have had him arguing that the chain widths made little difference. No amount of personal observations would have swayed him. And as I said to someone else - that was probably because he rode friction shifting and could center the chain perfectly on the gears without relying on the haphazard centering of Brifters. Jobst would almost always be right - or pretty right. And that was what always started the ball rolling.

Rest in peace Jobst. You were often a pain in the butt but one that is missed.
Old September 13th 17, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster

Default Jobst

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:46:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:51:28 AM UTC-7, Doug Cimperman wrote:
I do remember him being an insufferable ass but so were a lot of people. He was pretty knowledgeable but I seem to remember that he would grow quite angry if you corrected him and you were right.

at times.

And I didn't until someone noted that I had a couple of entries in newsgroups entitled "Tom Kunich is an Asshole".

While researching that I discovered that one was from racist kid I fired off of an assembly line when after a year he couldn't do the job as well as a Mexican girl with two months. And he got angry when I promoted another Mexican woman over him.

The other was by an engineer I fired for incompetency.

In those entries was one by Jobst printing my name, address and phone number. While they were correct why did he do that? What's worse is that there is something like 37 people in the US with that name including one in my own town that he could very well have published incorrectly. None of these others are related to me since the name is common.

In any case Jobst and I butted heads often enough usually about engineering matters since I was manager at some pretty good companies while doing at least half the work of my entire staff.

I never held any of his attacks very personal other than to give him a hard time about. But that posting made him a LOT of personal enemies since very few people thought that amusing.

Do you remember argument that went through here about chains and finally someone posted the actual difference in chain widths from 5 through 12 speed? There WAS a measurable difference and indeed it wasn't people's imaginations that you had to have the proper speed chain for the proper number of gears.

My memory of Jobst would have had him arguing that the chain widths made little difference. No amount of personal observations would have swayed him.. And as I said to someone else - that was probably because he rode friction shifting and could center the chain perfectly on the gears without relying on the haphazard centering of Brifters. Jobst would almost always be right - or pretty right. And that was what always started the ball rolling.

Rest in peace Jobst. You were often a pain in the butt but one that is missed.

Hm? Surely -some- of his criticisms were directed specifically at you, no?
Old September 13th 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jobst

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Hm? Surely -some- of his criticisms were directed specifically at you, no?

Well, that was sort of what surprised me. I didn't remember much about Jobst other than agreeing with him 99% of the time. It wasn't until I looked it up that I discovered some of it which did bring back some memories. Apparently 99% wasn't enough for him. :-)