Riding with a reinjured inguinal hernia

Old August 13th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
chrisc[_3_]

Default Riding with a reinjured inguinal hernia

Hi. I have had this injury for almost 3 years now. I was operated on
april 2007. I had the thing for about a year before that and the
doctors couldn't figure out what it was! I saw about 5 different
doctors! I have a black cloud over my head though. Anyway, I have been
riding ever since except for the postop period. I was loading up on
vicodin, ibuprofen, and lidocaine to mask the pain. (I also had a
skull fracture last year). After the hernia surgery, I went back into
the riding full force and reinjured it. Now the doc is telling me to
stop for a few months cause I have to let it heal. I told him I would
after the season. I'll give it a couple more months. The pain gets
better with rest so i know what I need to do.
Anyway, i love riding, but I am not doing near the amount I was doing.
I was riding about 20-30 miles per day. When i ride I do it for a
workout , not a leisure ride . I have a Trek Madone and bought a
license to race , but I keep getting injured. My question is: I am
trying to figure out what is the best thing to lessen the aggravation
to the injury besides rest(use a lower gear, move the seat forward,
up, etc. ) Thanks
Old August 13th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Aug 13, 5:28*am, chrisc wrote:
[...]

I am in a similar situation. I used lower gears, which seemed to work
a little.

Now, I am implementing the only real solution. I am resting. It makes
me depressed, but a re-injury would be just too much.

Since you haven't listened to your doctors, you probably won't listen
to an anonymous internet poster. But rest. Seriously. It's the only
way that it will heal.
Old August 14th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:28:27 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc,
chrisc wrote:

I am
trying to figure out what is the best thing to lessen the aggravation
to the injury besides rest

Troll Alert! either that or you are simply stupid, stupid,
stupid.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. STOP RIDING.

Old August 14th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Stief

chrisc wrote:
[...]

Why did you go to the doctor?
Just to show off?

Old August 15th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
chrisc[_3_]

On Aug 14, 10:15*am, "W. Stief" wrote:
chrisc wrote:
[...]

Just to show off?- Hide quoted text -

No. I needed a new prescription for Lidocaine. Plus , to make sure I
dont have another hernia.
Old August 15th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
chrisc[_3_]

chrisc wrote:
I am
trying to figure out what is the best thing to lessen the aggravation
to the injury besides rest

Troll Alert! *either that or you are simply stupid, stupid,
stupid.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. *STOP RIDING.

It's the latter. Also, stubborn, stubborn, stubborn!
Old August 15th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
chrisc[_3_]

On Aug 13, 1:49*pm, wrote:
On Aug 13, 5:28*am, chrisc wrote:

[...]

way that it will heal.- Hide quoted text -

I know what you mean by depressed. i hate not being able to ride!
Sometimes I use food for comfort and all the guys at work make fun of
me. They'll see me eat and eat and eat and yell out "comfort food!" I
think it's kind of funny. I weigh 175 by the way. I figure if i made
it this far , I can go another month or two. I just back off a lot.

hernia and the bike Geoff Pearson UK 7 February 21st 08 06:47 PM
Weird non-hernia testicle issue -- any ideas? David_Stone Unicycling 16 March 15th 07 10:35 PM
Hernia and bike riding Joseph Australia 3 November 4th 05 09:00 PM
new hernia treatment Vadim Racing 0 May 16th 05 01:07 AM
Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM