Brain surgeon: There's no point wearing bicycle helmets

Old August 28th 15, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Brain surgeon: There's no point wearing bicycle helmets

*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Marsh was speaking at the Hay Literary Festival. There, he threw caution
to an erudite wind by saying: "I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet.
In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no
reduction in bike injuries whatsoever."

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/brain-su...cycle-helmets/

Bod
Old August 28th 15, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head makes a jot of difference anyway?
Old August 28th 15, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Bod" wrote in message ...

*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Marsh was speaking at the Hay Literary Festival. There, he threw caution
to an erudite wind by saying: "I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet.
In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no
reduction in bike injuries whatsoever."

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/brain-su...cycle-helmets/

Bod

He's probably right - there's got to be something there worth protecting,
which as we all know, in the case of cyclists.........

Old August 28th 15, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head
makes a jot of difference anyway?

Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of wearing a coffee cup on his
head.

Old August 28th 15, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2015 10:56, Tarcap wrote:

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head
makes a jot of difference anyway?

Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of wearing a coffee cup on his
head.

waves Oooh, I think I know this one. Is it you?
Old August 28th 15, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head
makes a jot of difference anyway?

Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of wearing a coffee cup on his
head.

waves Oooh, I think I know this one. Is it you?

Well, the clue was in the name "Alycidon".
Surprised you missed it.
Well....perhaps not.
Old August 28th 15, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head
makes a jot of difference anyway?

Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of wearing a coffee cup on his
head.

waves Oooh, I think I know this one. Is it you?

Well, the clue was in the name "Alycidon".
Surprised you missed it.
Well....perhaps not.

Hmm, you actually said "Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of
wearing a coffee cup on his head".

Where is the name hidden in your sentence then?

Old August 28th 15, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head
makes a jot of difference anyway?

Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of wearing a coffee cup on his
head.

waves Oooh, I think I know this one. Is it you?

Well, the clue was in the name "Alycidon".
Surprised you missed it.
Well....perhaps not.

Hmm, you actually said "Dunno, but I know which idiot would think of
wearing a coffee cup on his head".

Where is the name hidden in your sentence then?

You obviously couldn't work out who I was replying to, then?
No surprise there, either.

Old August 28th 15, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 28/08/2015 08:35, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:33:32 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
*Dr. Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St. George's Hospital in London*

'A British brain surgeon says cycle helmets are too flimsy and can
actually create more danger by creating the illusion of greater safety'.

Well, I never. Which idiot *would* think that a coffee cup on your head makes a jot of difference anyway?

Try this simple experiment;
Drop a 2 Kg weight from a distance of 30cm onto your head.
A) Whilst wearing no protective head gear.
B) Whilst wearing a polystyrene coffee cup.
C) Whilst wearing a cycle helmet.
Record which hurts most and causes the most trauma.