Tips for first overnight camping MTB trip

Old August 13th 03, 12:25 PM
Trevor S

Default Tips for first overnight camping MTB trip

Attempting the first MTB overnight camping trip next month, sticking to
mostly the dirt road 70%, bitumen road 20% and trail 10% for one night out,
taking it easy for the first one to see if it is any good.

Any tips for a newbie in this area ?

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Old August 14th 03, 01:23 PM
Malvern_star

22rev wrote:
Trevor,
If you are using panniers and the off road section is rough ensure that
you have a good quality mounting. You do not want these falling off.
Take care with sticks in your rear derailleur, it is easier to rip a
RDer off than you might think.
Ensure you have tools to break chain etc etc...
Only carry high octane liquor, leave the beer slab in the Esky at the
car.
And make sure you have check the Topo map or use good notes.
Kevin

Make sure you are able to stay dry.

Warm clothing , tent etc.

Make sure you have enough water , especially if you're riding ontop of
ridges or high altitudes. I usually try to make sure I have access to at
least 5 litres of water per day in mild conditions. Take puritabs (water
purifiers) if you intend drinking creek water , and access the quality
of that water first.

Let someone know where you're headin. If you're passing through private
property you should try to gain consent from the owners first. In some
cases you may find it easier to use a backpack instead of heavy paniers
, check the track conditions if possible , riding a sandy track is
f##kin hard yakka make the bike light as possible.

I'd still be crawling around the bush if I didn't have topographic maps
, plus they're fun you can plan the trip easily , make alternate
routes if the track becomes too hard , estimate time it'll take to get
from A to B, gradients , find interesting places or spots to camp etc

Take nice whiskey or port

The most important thing though is to have fun. I'm headin out next
weekend , overnight.

cheers

Old August 15th 03, 07:35 AM
DJ

DROP BEARS!!......
oh sorry hehehee

"richard portus" wrote in message ...
and please don't mention the drop bears!

Old August 15th 03, 12:25 PM
Trevor S

Malvern_star wrote in
:

22rev wrote:
[...]

I had planned on carrying 6, plus half way along I can top up at a cabin.

Let someone know where you're headin.

Wife and cops ...

If you're passing through
private property you should try to gain consent from the owners first.

Nope, gazetted raods/tracks.

In some cases you may find it easier to use a backpack instead of
heavy paniers ,

Yeah, I had been thinking that

check the track conditions if possible ,

Did it last wekeend, rode the route on a off road motorbike...

riding a
sandy track is f##kin hard yakka

Oh yeah, 6 km's a couple weeks ago ... like ya said fark that !

make the bike light as possible.

Oh yeah !

Take nice whiskey or port

Don't drink tea, coffee or alky-hol ! , so no problems with those
dieuretics

The most important thing though is to have fun. I'm headin out next
weekend , overnight.

Best of luck ! I am a virgin at doing it on a bike (so to speak) so
just wanted to see if there was anything obvious I had not thought of.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Old August 16th 03, 10:46 AM
John Doe

: Don't drink tea, coffee or alky-hol ! , so no problems with those
: dieuretics

I am a coffee lover. This is a common well believed urban myth and I
believed it to until recently.

Cut from www.snopes.com. The definitive urban legends page. They are a
well researched site and give references to medical studies, documentary
evidence etc. All their references can be confirmed.

snip-----
"Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose
little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the
Journal of the American College of Nutrition, "

snip ----

It continues with more thorough explanation.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm

As a matter of interest of common misbelief... 80% of Australians believe
that chickens are given hormones. This is also false. Australia banned
this in the 60's and continues to run random audits of chicken farms to test
for hormones.

(I used to be part of the 80%)

Peter

Old August 16th 03, 03:23 PM
Malvern_star

Trevor S wrote:
Best of luck ! I am a virgin at doing it on a bike (so to speak) so
just wanted to see if there was anything obvious I had not thought of.
--
Trevor S
-Albert Einstein

You'll forget something

You won't really know you've forgotten it until..........

after .......

you've done a ........

****.