Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia?

Old November 29th 04, 11:42 PM
Dom

Default Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia?

Just recovering from hernia surgery (three weeks ago) and getting
ready to get back on my recumbent. My brother in-law says riding the
recumbent is what caused the hernia. He says having to push all that
weight up the hills and being in the reclined position caused me to
put too much strain on that part of my body and that caused the
hernia. I live in NH and we do have some steep hills but I have been
riding for three years, so why now. I got the hernia over a weekend
which we did some serious riding on some very steep hills. However, my
recollection is that the hernia popped when I lifted a heavy object
(do not laugh but it was an oversized laundry basket and overflowing
at that) that I got the hernia. I was still riding after I got it but
had to stop because it started to hurt too much. After surgery, I
found out the hernia was pressing on a nerve and that's what was
causing the pain. Of course, I do not want to get another one so I
have been wondering if there is any truth to what my brother in-law
claims. Can riding a recumbent cause a hernia? I checked out this
group and some others and the only reference was to ‘lifting all that
weight will give you a hernia'. In my case, my bike weighs 35lbs and
I've lifted it several times and no problem. What all is your take.
Old November 30th 04, 12:02 AM
Eric Jorgensen

On 29 Nov 2004 15:42:30 -0800
(Dom) wrote:

[...]
group and some others and the only reference was to =91lifting all that
weight will give you a hernia'. In my case, my bike weighs 35lbs and
I've lifted it several times and no problem. What all is your take.

I've heard of knee damage, sciatica, etc, but not hernia caused by
improper recumbent hill climbing. If your bike is properly adjusted and you
remember to spin and not hammer, generally you should be ok.=20
Old November 30th 04, 01:47 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Dom wrote:

My brother in-law says riding the recumbent is what caused
the hernia. He says having to push all that weight up the
hills and being in the reclined position caused me to put
too much strain on that part of my body and that caused the
hernia.

Which Medical School did he flunk out of?

Old November 30th 04, 02:44 AM
Shwackman

What all is your take.
Well, I had a double hernia repair back in '02, and I had been really really
pushing on the recumbent back then. Most of my other past times, diving,
cast-net fishing from bridges, heavy machine work,stress that area alot also,
but the bike seemed to re-irritate me, so I sold it for another model, and have
had no soreness since.
(pleasedon'taskwhichbikehurtme).
Old November 30th 04, 05:58 AM
Steve Fox

Dom wrote:

[...]

Well, I had a double hernia in '96, and I don't think I'd ever heard of
a recumbent then. Strictly in upright guy in those days. I'd definitely
get a second, third, or fourth opinion before If got too "uptight."
Bottom line? Stuff 'n' Nonsense. :-)

Steve

--
Steve Fox