Coker: Love it or hate it.

Old August 18th 05, 05:20 PM
DarkTom

Default Coker: Love it or hate it.

I absolutely love my coker! (qu-ax)

I used to use a 24" with 89's to go to work on, (I could keep up with a
coker on it, unless the coker rider really wanted to lose me!) but broke
my collar bone due to lack of control, now I use my coker with it's
stock 150's and a gel saddle.

When I first got it I thought I would just use it on the canal path and
such, but after getting used to it, I ride it everywhere.

Going to work is so much quicker now.

And folk bother you less on a coker. Probably cos they realise you're
going too fast to hear their moronic rantings. And if they don't
realise, you're still going too fast to hear all of their rant, so it's
all good.

Just waiting on my new cro-mo hub for it since I've bent the stock one.
I'm still riding it tho!!!!

T.

--
DarkTom - fork riding a sugar unicycle

-\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
less.\" - johnhimsworth

\"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher

\"mud is the ink we use for bodypainting our homage to the muni sport.\"
- goldenchickenii
-
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Old August 18th 05, 05:34 PM
johnfoss

Love it. If you don't love it, don't get one. If you're not sure,
hopefully you have a chance to try one out. But don't pass judgement in
the first mile, give it a chance.

joemarshall wrote:
*29ers with super-short cranks just don't ride nice, whereas 110
cranks are nice and controllable and give you just enough control to
ride it like a normal unicycle.*

If your 29er doesn't have a Big Apple tire on it, you're needlessly
punishing yourself. That's a great-riding tire.

But even with the 102s I use on mine, it's still slower than a Coker
(with my choice of 125s).

I did not always love the Coker. I first tried one at the 1998 USA
Convention when David Coker brought a pre-production sample down. I
thought they wouldn't hold up, with their short axles and low-end uni
parts. I rode it around the parking lot, but the grippiness of the tire
made it hard to turn on. We kept putting more air in the tire but it
still resisted turning.

This was because I was used to my 45" wheel with solid tire. Easy spins
outdoors, and super-slippery indoors! So compared to the big wheel I'd
already had for 16 years, the Coker seemed small and sluggish.

But I didn't give it a proper test ride. The Coker is not made for
circling a parking lot, it's made for going from here to somewhere else.
Mostly in a straight line.

I only started to appreciate the Coker as I read the feedback of early
Cokerheads who were laying down the miles and not breaking them. They
seemed to hold up much better than I expected!

But I did not *fully* appreciate the Coker until I rode a borrowed one
in the 10k (or shorter?) race at the 2001 USA Convention in Toronto. I
really cruised on that thing, and enjoyed the race a lot more than I
thought I would! In 2002 I got my own.

A 29er has the usefulness of being more maneuverable, and a lot smaller
so it's easier to toss in the car (or bus or apartment). But if you're
spinning out on your 29 and you want to go faster, you need a Coker. Or
a Schlumpf, for about five times as much...

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old August 18th 05, 06:42 PM
Krashin'Kenny

onebyone wrote:
*I can't see why you would need this poll. Who would not love a
Coker?
*

I am one who does not love a Coker. I own a Coker with a custom frame
that I built. I've put enough miles on it to realize that some people
(like myself) are just not "cokerheads"
I'm seriously thinking about selling it since it hasn't been ridden
for months.
Hey Jagur, ya' got an extra box??

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old August 18th 05, 06:58 PM
mscalisi

I think the GB4 looks pretty sweet, but if I remember correctly, you
won't be able to buy one anytime soon. If ever.

You can try my geared coker at Cal Muni Weekend.

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*I'm indifferent about 36" but excited about GB4 geared. *

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old August 18th 05, 08:03 PM
uni57

johnfoss wrote:
*A 29er has the usefulness of being more maneuverable*

I've said this a few times already, but...

I'm working on making my Coker more maneuverable... by practicing.

After seeing HCR do slow-speed tight turns effortlessly and gracefully
on his Coker (and after seeing Joe Merrill do a pirouette on my Coker),
I'm convinced that Coker maneuverability depends mainly on the skill of
the rider.

Quick starts and stops are a factor of crank length. But the ability to
go slow and to make beautiful, effortless, graceful turns is up to the
rider. I'm not there yet, but the more I ride my Coker, the smaller it
feels. It no longer feels like a big, lumbering Mack truck.

--
uni57 - David C. Lowell

dave lowell (uni57)
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old August 18th 05, 08:18 PM
cathwood

When I'm riding my 20" in the gym I love that.
When I'm riding my 24" onza on the hillside I love that.
When I'm riding my 29er along the prom I love that.
If I had a coker I would probably love that too. But that would be for
next year. I want to get much more nimble as well as doing the distance
on my 29er first.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old August 18th 05, 09:19 PM
mscalisi

I agree with you in that a skilled rider on properly equipped coker is
extremely manouverable.

...but it will always be heavier (and therefore less manouverable) than
a 29er.

Old August 19th 05, 02:12 AM
unipsychler

I'm seeking to buy a coker but don't have the $$$ to buy a new one. If
you or anyone you know is interested in selling theirs, please let me
know. I've gotten up to 37 miles on my 28" and my knees are starting to
bother me. I need the bigger wheel if I'm going to increase my
distance.

I'd prefer a 36" used Hunter but I'll settle for a stock Coker.

--
unipsychler - Ride The Unicycle ~ A Crash Course!

Interested in learning to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Or how
about getting one of the coolest uni t-shirts around? Check out my
website at www.ridetheunicycle.com
unipsychler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9338