Lost KH bolt

Old April 4th 04, 10:49 AM
pete66

Default Lost KH bolt

Me and my mate were doin some trials riding in town today and after an
hour or 2 I went to try doing this skinnie, risking a swim in the sea if
anything went wrong but just before I got going I noticed that I was
missing the bolt that holds my left crank on! Not the pinch nut but the
big meaty one in the middle.

We retraced where we'd been to no avail so I went back to the car and
swapped my KH for my poxy 20" for the rest of the day (and nailed the
skinnie without needing to swim).

On the way back to the car my mate spotted the bolt which was a bit of a
small miricle, it was really strange that this happened though because
I'd tightened everything before the ride and the bolt had dropped out
very early on in the ride. How can I stop this happening again? I've
heard loctite mentioned but isn't that only for when you don't ever want
to undo it again?

Cheers
Pete

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old April 4th 04, 11:05 AM
pete66

&, has anyone else had one of these bolts drop out on them?

Old April 4th 04, 11:05 AM
Robbie

I think I once heard Blue Loctite to tighten it and stop it from
vibrating loose, Red Loctite so it will never come off again for the
life of the unicycle, Green Loctite so it will never come off again in
your life! I might have the green and the red in the wrong position, but
I think it's right.

So you're most likely gonna want to use Blue Loctite, just so it won't
come loose from vibration, you'll still be able to get it undone.

--
Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

There is no spoon.
I ate it.
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

Old April 4th 04, 11:10 AM
duaner

A local rider lost one of those bolts.

When he replaced it, it would rapidly become loose again. He put
loctite (red) on it, let it set overnite, and it has now stayed put ever
since.

The red loctite is called "permanent", but it is not permanent, it can
be taken off with a wrench with only little more difficultly than a just
freshly tighted bolt.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old April 4th 04, 01:47 PM
Sofa

duaner wrote:
* it, let it set overnite, and it has now stayed put ever since.

The red loctite is called "permanent", but it is not permanent, it can
be taken off with a wrench with only little more difficultly than a
just freshly tighted bolt. *

but it will never come off until you decided it is time for it to come
off.

Red loctite is #272 (all Loctite bottles are red)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old April 4th 04, 02:07 PM
newtouni

Robbie wrote:
*Blue Loctite*

Yep.... What he said...

--
newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

Download UniCalc
(The Unicycle Calculator) free from
http://www.ironjungle.com/
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

Old April 4th 04, 05:32 PM
BryanM

my whole crank comes off every 2 seconds i threw my unicycle at a tree.
ohhh did i mention that my unicycle is a piece of crap...well it is.

--
BryanM - level 3

People who use bicycles are cheats.
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv95 with our video