Best Cities to Ride

Old March 14th 05, 09:22 PM
rcoder

Well, I'm not sure how much the climate would be to your liking, but
Portland, Oregon is almost rediculously bike-friendly. There are bike
lanes/trails throughout the metro area, bike racks on the buses and
commuter trains, non-profit repair and resale collectives, (as well as
dozens of excellent "regular" shops) and an extremely active bike
culture.

Also, you're within a day-ride of the coast, Mt. Hood, the central
Willamette Valley wine country, etc., etc. The only real downside is
that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
guess.

Old March 14th 05, 09:35 PM
Ken Marcet

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am SHOCKED nobody from Minneapolis/St. Paul has spoken up. This is an
outstanding bike town.

First, the cities and their suburbs spend MILLIONS on bike paths. Some
shared, and some gloriously bike-only. Almost all of the famous
sparkling lakes are ringed with both, and the people-watching is second
to none. Minnesota has been turning old railroad beds into bike paths
for years, so you can go to many towns on these gorgeous, tree-canopied
crowned roads. The downtowns have lanes everywhere, much respect, and a
healthy messenger culture. Surly bikes is based in Minneapolis.

Second, the metro area here is fairly tiny. Ten minutes' drive puts you
in the burbs, and twenty minutes' drive lands you smack dab in
gently-hilly farm country. Small towns dot the landscape. You can ride
to Duluth, rural Wisconsin, North Dakota, and all around the metro on
paved paths.

Third, winter riding is immensely popular here, even among sporadic
riders. College kids and city commuters ride bikes year-round. Surly
Bikes even has a new frame, the Pugsley, specially designed for snow
and ice riding. (Think huge tires and a fork like a Texas rider's
stance.) With all the frozen creek beds, a good ice bike can take you
anywhere. And the best part is, you're not alone - it doesn't seem half
as cold if five other people are out there on the lake at midnight too.

Fourth, a practical and left-leaning culture in the Twin Cities fosters
a bike-friendly lifestyle. The city buses have bike racks. There are
shops everywhere. And if you've ever seen a northern city's populace
decide to "wake up" all at once on the first warm day, you know they
don't sleep until December: rollerbladers, pedestrians, coffee-shop
junkies, bicyclists, sand-castle freaks, kayakers, joggers, yoga and
Tai Chi nuts in the park... This city is so beautiful for outdoors
activities. It's the cold that keeps the assholes out.

Well you know I thought about that area, but then I thought about the
weather AKA the extreme cold!

Old March 14th 05, 09:46 PM
Ken Marcet

"rcoder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I'm not sure how much the climate would be to your liking, but
Portland, Oregon is almost rediculously bike-friendly. There are bike
lanes/trails throughout the metro area, bike racks on the buses and
commuter trains, non-profit repair and resale collectives, (as well as
dozens of excellent "regular" shops) and an extremely active bike
culture.

Also, you're within a day-ride of the coast, Mt. Hood, the central
Willamette Valley wine country, etc., etc. The only real downside is
that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
guess.

I have heard all of those things about Portland, and it has the mountains as
a nice backdrop.
slightly on the damp side with above average rainfall, or so I have read.

Old March 14th 05, 10:20 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Ken Marcet" writes:

"rcoder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I'm not sure how much the climate would be to your liking, but
Portland, Oregon is almost rediculously bike-friendly. There are bike
lanes/trails throughout the metro area, bike racks on the buses and
commuter trains, non-profit repair and resale collectives, (as well as
dozens of excellent "regular" shops) and an extremely active bike
culture.

Also, you're within a day-ride of the coast, Mt. Hood, the central
Willamette Valley wine country, etc., etc. The only real downside is
that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
guess.

I have heard all of those things about Portland, and it has the mountains as
a nice backdrop.
slightly on the damp side with above average rainfall, or so I have read.

I find rain a heck of a lot easier to deal with than
snow & ice. And in the warmer months, it can be
downright refreshing. Rain by itself is certainly
no obstacle.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 14th 05, 10:50 PM
Gnarlito

rcoder wrote:
...The only real downside is
that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
guess.

Rain?? What's that? I live on the Oregon coast and haven't seen the
stuff for weeks. It's been like summer, only warmer and less windy.
Normally, we get about 6 feet of the stuff here from mid-October
through mid-June and maybe 1/4 inch from mid-June through mid-October.

I lived in Albuquerque for about 15 years, and for about 2 of those
years I got around exclusively on a bicycle. I cycle commuted
year-round while I lived there. I think it's a great place for cycling.
Sure, it just spreads and spreads up to the north and west, but the
climate is very well suited for year-around riding. There's a critical
mass (no, not the activist group) of cyclists, thanks mainly to the
University, and the town has a pretty solid racing heritage. Kent
Bostick and John Frey, both national-caliber competitors, were local
guys.

Bike paths have been built along several of the arroyos, so there is a
good car-free recreational path network in town.

I also lived and cycle-commuted in Salt Lake City. It might be mecca if
you like to ski untracked snow, but it's definitely not a
cycle-friendly town. There wre a grand total of two safe cross-town
(East-West) routes while I lived there, A couple of measly bike paths
down along the Jordan River, and lots of really wide roads that,
unfortunately, are totally unsafe to ride on.

On the other hand, the most cycle-friendly place I've ever been is
Eugene, OR. I live 90 miles from there. This past Saturday, I packed
my bike, drove over and spent about 3 hours cycling around town just to
get a dose of what's possible with a little foresight, planning, and an
engaged community. The bike route, lane, and trail system is superb,
the population is bike aware and friendly, and although it does rain a
lot in winter, the climate is mild.

Old March 15th 05, 12:39 AM
JoeD

Peter,

I am from NYC and I do ride year round except when there is ice and snow
on the road although I don't have the clothing for temps below 25
degrees. I just want a warmer climate.

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken wrote:

JoeD wrote in news:lJ0Zd.2668$qf2.2314
:

I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the

future.

I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle

friendly.

To me, "bike friendly" means you can ride every day of the year.

That rules

out the snow belt.

Not really, lot's of people ride year 'round in nothern climates. It's
just a matter of having the right clothes and equipment.

Old March 15th 05, 12:52 AM
JoeD

I mention bike paths in my post because that implies a bicycle friendly
government.
I actual don't like them either. In NYC they attracted parked cars and
peds waiting for the light to turn green. I ususally take my chances
with the regular traffic.

wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

To me, this is much more important than bike paths or bike lanes - both
of which I tend to dislike. Put such a town about 30 miles from a
larger city, and I think it's about perfect.

Old March 15th 05, 01:06 AM
JoeD

I was also thinking about Eugene Or. but couldn't get enough info on
their precipitation.
For me the statistic can be missing leading.
I not as concerned about the amount of rain but rather how many days a
year in rains.
I also wouldn't mind riding occasionally in the rain, if it's 80+ degree
and not a downpour.
I would probably be refreshing.

Old March 15th 05, 01:14 AM
Veloise

JoeD wrote:
I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the

future.
I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle

friendly. I
am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its

warmer
climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any

suggestions....

Someone's posted another "where to live" query (perhaps on these
same two NG), but he's looking for a place near Atlanta.

I wouldn't bother with a location having lots of bike paths and
lanes. The ones I've ridden in Eugene are aggravating--too much
patronizing separation from motor traffic coupled with goofy reactions
from drivers. "Why aren't you in the bike lane? We spent all kinds of
tax dollars on you to give you a bike lane, why don't you use it??"
Because I'm turning left.

You might want to check the websites and sources I suggested to that
other poster. And do some googling for local bicycle sites and groups.
I stumbled across a site that's a tribute to those who've been involved
in cycling crashes in Austin, and was appalled. (Don't have it right
here, sorry. It's easy to find.) Ironically, Austin regularly wins
awards from BuyCycling for its "bike friendliness."

Another award to avoid is the one from L.A.W./B. They hand it out to
places with bike paths and bicycle planners, but don't measure cycling
culture or motorist hostility or any other variables.

Also look up cycling clubs and tours. Places with lots of cyclists
would be preferable to the other kind.

I already bragged in that other thread, so I'll skip it here.

--Karen M.

Old March 15th 05, 02:03 AM

Gnarlito wrote:

I also lived and cycle-commuted in Salt Lake City. It might be mecca

if
you like to ski untracked snow, but it's definitely not a
cycle-friendly town. There wre a grand total of two safe cross-town
(East-West) routes while I lived there, A couple of measly bike paths
down along the Jordan River, and lots of really wide roads that,
unfortunately, are totally unsafe to ride on.

Out of curiosity, what was it about those "really wide roads" that made
them totally unsafe?

In general, a reasonably wide road is all I need.

No, let me rephrase that. A road is all I need. But a reasonably wide
one is more pleasant.