Best Cities to Ride

Old March 19th 05, 02:45 AM
JoeD

At 57+, It's tooooo late for me. :-(

Tom Keats wrote:

In article . net,
JoeD writes:

Although, I avoid riding in the rain here in NYC ( I hate having to
cleanup the bike), if I did get caught, I wouldn't have a wet hair
problem cause I shave my head clean. :-)

I've actually been considering that. But at 51+ and no hint
of male pattern baldness, I figure I might as well flaunt my
luxurious (although increasingly salt & pepper) locks.

cheers,
Tom

Old March 21st 05, 12:11 AM
JoeD

Ron,

I am thinking of leaving NYC for a number of reasons. Outside of the
extra cold days like below 25 or the snowy and rainy ones, I don't have
a problem riding here. Since I just retired, I would "prefer" a warmer
climate in a state with lower health insurance and taxes and a city
where I can feel as safe as I do in NYC traffic.

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

"JoeD" wrote in message
link.net...

Hi,

I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future. I
am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly. I am
leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its warmer
climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any suggestions.
I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day trips
and just getting around even though I have a car. I average about 5k a
year.
Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I have
never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the streets
competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded pedestrians. I am
mentioning this because I am not afraid of city traffic. Highway traffic
is whole nother story since I want to live to ride another 45 years.

Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say "Hi"
as I pass you or vice versa.

I regret that almost everyone who has posted has ruled out the "snowbelt."
Your own posts show that the alternatives aren't so attractive. A paradise
like San Diego is crowded. Most warm weather places are beastly hot in the
summer. Some are humid as well. Those that attract retirees have accident
problems. Your life is more endangered by an old man who doesn't see you
than by a discourteous bully - of which I've seen few. That stereotype far
outruns the reality.

Cold weather towns in the US' NE quadrant have fewer snow problems than you
might expect. Among other things, plows and salt trucks are ubiquitous and
arterial roads rarely stay impassable for long. I live in Milwaukee and,
since 1998, haven't lost a single day to bad roads, or anything else except
for one 23 day stretch recovering from an accident, and one day due to
travel. From what I've seen of NYC, I suspect you could do as well there.

Nor is cold a controlling issue. Dress for the weather and I suspect you
can better acclimate yourself to riding in 0F than in 110.