Interesting little story about biking in Berkeley

Old March 14th 05, 11:48 AM
Ken Marcet

Default Interesting little story about biking in Berkeley

Dosen't really have any "useful" info, but I did chuckle a couple of times.
http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=17977
Particularly when it came to the "what can brown do for you joke".

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 14th 05, 03:03 PM
Rick Warner

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:48:38 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

Dosen't really have any "useful" info, but I did chuckle a couple of times.
http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=17977
Particularly when it came to the "what can brown do for you joke".

I thought there would be a good "what can brown do for you joke" - as
it is there is merely a commentary on the writer's perception of how
UPS is causing him issues. For good "what can brown do for you joke"s
see the opening to a Mad TV segment from a few months ago where they
tackled that tag line - hilarious.

Reminds me back some decades ago, on my first day on the Berkely
campus. I stopped in at the office of the group I would be working
with and parked my bike out front and locked it to the rack. Less
than 10 minutes later I returned to find my bike sans saddle and
seatpost, but a note in their place directing me to call Campus
police. Seems as soon as I entered the building some guy came and
took the saddle, the event was witnessed by someone looking out a
window on the 3rd floor who called campus police. Luck would have it
that a police car was right there, they responded and caught the perp
with saddle in hand. I had to wait a few hours for the PD to release
the saddle/post from evidentiary custody after the guy confessed to
the crime. Then I had to locate a bike shop to find a replacement
seatpost binder bolt since the perp had dropped it in some unknown
location. Too bad more folks are not looking out their windows on
campus ;-)

- rick
Old March 14th 05, 03:04 PM
mark

"Ken Marcet" wrote ...
Dosen't really have any "useful" info, but I did chuckle a couple of

times.
http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=17977
Particularly when it came to the "what can brown do for you joke".

Ken

Until the early '80s, UC Berkeley had a guarded bicycle parking area at
Moffitt Library. You locked your bike inside and got a claim check from the
attendant, which you had to show to get your bike back. Kept a few students
employed, and nobody ever got their bike stolen from that parking area. This
feature was gone by 1982 or 83, which is a shame.

Running a stop sign has gotten a lot more expensive since I was in Berkeley
:^).
--
mark

Old March 14th 05, 05:27 PM
Matt O'Toole

mark wrote:

Until the early '80s, UC Berkeley had a guarded bicycle parking area
at Moffitt Library. You locked your bike inside and got a claim check
from the attendant, which you had to show to get your bike back. Kept
a few students employed, and nobody ever got their bike stolen from
that parking area. This feature was gone by 1982 or 83, which is a
shame.

I'd like to see more "Bikestation" type units in such areas:

www.bikestation.com

Matt O.

Old March 18th 05, 03:50 PM
RonSonic

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:48:38 -0500, "Ken Marcet" wrote:

Dosen't really have any "useful" info, but I did chuckle a couple of times.
http://www.dailycal.org/article.php?id=17977
Particularly when it came to the "what can brown do for you joke".

Gee, isn't Berkeley supposed to be a veritable Mecca of liberal wisdom, all
alternative energy, alternative lifestyle and alternative mode of transportation
friendly? Lunatic Volvo drivers? Really. Could it be that people who know
they're unsafe behind the wheel favor cars with a reputation for safety, or does
the "safety" of that car give them license?

Either way there is a difference between theory and practice and among the
liberals it is a great one.

Ron

Old March 19th 05, 05:51 PM
Jeremy Parker

"RonSonic" wrote

[snip]

Volvo drivers? Really. Could it be that people who know
they're unsafe behind the wheel favor cars with a reputation for

safety, or does
the "safety" of that car give them license?

That's certainly the reputation of Volvo drivers among cyclists here
in London UK

Jeremy Parker

Old March 20th 05, 12:45 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:51:21 -0000, "Jeremy Parker"
wrote:

"RonSonic" wrote

[snip]

Volvo drivers? Really. Could it be that people who know
they're unsafe behind the wheel favor cars with a reputation for

safety, or does
the "safety" of that car give them license?

That's certainly the reputation of Volvo drivers among cyclists here
in London UK

They've been like that here forever.

Hey, are you guys plagued by the cell phone drivers as badly as we are? Absolute
nightmare attention all over and hands flapping as they talk. The hands-free
headset hasn't really helped.

Ron

Old March 20th 05, 03:41 AM
Chris Neary

Either way there is a difference between theory and practice and among the
liberals it is a great one.

Among many so-called "conservatives", also.

Chris Neary

"Prize the doubt, low kinds exist without"
- Inscription at Ramsmeyer Hall, Ohio State University
Old March 20th 05, 06:33 AM
Bill H.

RonSonic wrote:

Gee, isn't Berkeley supposed to be a veritable Mecca of liberal

wisdom, all
alternative energy, alternative lifestyle and alternative mode of
transportation friendly? Lunatic Volvo drivers? Really. Could it be

that people who know they're unsafe behind the wheel favor cars with
a reputation for
safety, or does the "safety" of that car give them license?

Yeah, but don't forget that the Bay Area is also home to a large
Asian-American population and as everyone knows, there's nothing more
dangerous than a four foot tall Korean woman driving an SUV.

Either way there is a difference between theory and practice and

among the
liberals it is a great one.

Sounds like the writer is also a little unfamiliar with what to do at a
stop sign, so I think he's hardly one to criticize other vehicles.

-Bill H.

Old March 21st 05, 12:14 AM
RonSonic

On 19 Mar 2005 22:33:04 -0800, "Bill H." wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

Gee, isn't Berkeley supposed to be a veritable Mecca of liberal

wisdom, all
alternative energy, alternative lifestyle and alternative mode of
transportation friendly? Lunatic Volvo drivers? Really. Could it be

that people who know they're unsafe behind the wheel favor cars with
a reputation for
safety, or does the "safety" of that car give them license?

Yeah, but don't forget that the Bay Area is also home to a large
Asian-American population and as everyone knows, there's nothing more
dangerous than a four foot tall Korean woman driving an SUV.

Either way there is a difference between theory and practice and

among the
liberals it is a great one.

Sounds like the writer is also a little unfamiliar with what to do at a
stop sign, so I think he's hardly one to criticize other vehicles.

There is that. My rule is that if I don't see the cop I deserve the ticket.
Otherwise, do any of us stop for all of them?

Ron