Not your average Sunday-An interview with Nicky Hayden

Old August 17th 06, 12:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

Default Not your average Sunday-An interview with Nicky Hayden

-(FROM CYCLINGNEWS.COM TODAY)-
*An interview with Nicky Hayden, August 16, 2006*

NOT YOUR AVERAGE SUNDAY
*The 'Kentucky Kid' cycles towards Moto GP success*

THE HOTTEST PROSPECT IN THE MOTO GP PADDOCK IS THE AMERICAN, NICKY
HAYDEN, AND AS -GERARD KNAPP- DISCOVERED, ROAD CYCLING PLAYS A VERY BIG
PART IN HIS RACEDAY PREPARATION. THE EXTRA FITNESS GAINED FROM ROAD
MILES ON THE BIKE IS HELPING HAYDEN REAP REWARDS ON THE RACE TRACK.
He sits well, and uses the big chainring
Photo ©: Specialized'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...lized2alt.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/z2528)**"I try to ride every day for sure.
Some days I do intensity, some days endurance, and I download it all
from my heart rate monitor"**

-Nicky Hayden is a believer that cycling benefits his Moto GP
riding

On Sunday, July 23, Floyd Landis was not the only American to stand on
the top step of the podium of a major, international two-wheeled racing
event. Across the globe and at Laguna Seca Raceway in northern
California, the 'Kentucky Kid' as he is known - Nicky Hayden - clinched
his second consecutive win in the USA round of the World Moto GP
Championship.

While Landis is battling to save his yellow jersey and his reputation
in light of the positive drugs test following his Tour de France win,
Nicky Hayden has been back home in Owensboro, Kentucky, riding his
other bike (a Specialized) on the backroads of Kentucky and fanging
moto-cross bikes on his family's ranch.

Unlike cycling's euro-centric ProTour, the Moto GP circuit covers the
globe and whenever he gets the chance, Hayden likes to get back to
Kentucky and put in some quality miles - on his road bike.

The just-turned 25 Hayden currently leads the world championship and
his performance at the demanding Laguna Seca Raceway on a hot summer's
day last month has increased his lead over a squadra of Italians
snipping at his heels, such as defending champion, Valentino Rossi.

CYCLING FOR MOTO GP PERFORMANCE
"I'm sure the fitness played a part," he said of his win in California
for the Repsol Honda factory-backed team. "Last year [when he also won
at Laguna Seca] was big, but this year was awesome and a really good
day for the points." So far this season, Hayden has been the most
consistent rider, but by no means the tear-away fastest rider.

At Laguna Seca, the pattern was repeated somewhat, although Hayden did
qualify on the front row. "In practice and qualifying, I have got to
admit I was struggling, so towards the end of the race [when he
overhauled Australian Chris Vermeulen to go into the race lead] I'm
sure the fitness played a part. It was hotter than Malaysia [GP round]
and a lot of guys struggled out there."

Nicky Hayden’s day job
Photo ©: Nicky Hayden'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...nicky_1tn.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/p4j3g)

Hayden said the type of fitness required for racing the 330kmh Moto GP
bikes is obviously not the same as being a professional cyclist, but
now it's almost as important. "It's a lot different and obviously, the
Moto GP bike is a lot tougher to ride, and everything is happening so
fast… you're reading your pit-boards, looking for the braking markers,
and watching all the other guys on the track. Some of the tracks are
longer and more open, but there are racetracks where there's just no
time to rest on a lap [like Laguna Seca] and that's when fitness really
comes into it."

Hayden said the key was being strong at the end of races and the
ability to maintain the focus and concentration is certainly helped by
being in good physical condition.

BITTEN BY THE CYCLING BUG
Hayden has been 'on the bike', so to speak, for the past three years.
He's even lined up a sponsorship deal with Californian company
Specialized and now has top-of-the-line road bikes and cycling kit
dotted around the globe, ready for action whether he's at home in
Kentucky, in Europe traveling the circuit in his motor-home, or hanging
out in Orange County in California. He's even had bikes arranged for
when he's at Grands Prix in Australia and Malaysia.

Cycling has now become a key part of his training regime and like a pro
cyclist, he has a fitness coach, uses a heart rate monitor while riding
(he downloads his data to the laptop and emails it to the coach) and
varies his work-outs on the bike from longer endurance rides of three
hours or more, with shorter interval work.

No prizes for guessing
Photo ©: Specialized'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alized1tn.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/g9qa6)

Hayden said if it's possible, "I try to ride every day for sure. Some
days I do intensity, some days endurance, and I download it all from my
heart rate monitor.

"I do run a bit, and running is a lot more convenient, but it's a bit
hard on the joints and the one thing motorcycle racers injure are their
ankles, so cycling's so [much] easier on the body."

Hayden explained that he was introduced to road cycling by his fitness
coach Aldon Baker, himself a former mountain bike pro rider (Baker also
trains leading moto-cross rider Ricky Carmichael and cycling is a big
part of his regime). Hayden and his two motorcycle racing brothers,
Tommy and Roger, are bitten by the cycling bug.

"When I started I mainly did it for training, but now it's something I
really like to do … and you have to like it because there are days when
it's not a lot of fun to be on a bike in Kentucky in summer. It can be
100 degrees and humid out there."

While cyclists will argue the physical fitness to be a top motorcycle
racer is different to what's required to be a professional cyclist, the
gap is closing because the raw power of the Moto GP bikes means lap
times continue to tumble, and with it, any chance for recovery.

Also, the physical size of the top Moto GP pilots is not unlike many of
the world's top road cyclists. Hayden weighs a lean 69kg (153 pounds)
and is "very strong" on the bike, according to Kevin Franks, a
marketing exec with Specialized who's ridden with the Moto GP racer.

On July 23, Nicky Hayden won the USA’s Laguna Seca round
Photo ©: Nicky Hayden'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...nicky_2tn.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/nc7be)

"He's incredibly fit," Franks told -Cyclingnews-. "I mean, he's really
strong. He can go really hard and he's very lean but also powerful. I'm
sure he could be a pro," said Franks.

The other aspect about Hayden that is refreshing, in this age of
athletes having multiple minders, with scripted responses and being
more aloof than the Pope, is that he is very approachable - a very
well-mannered and polite bloke.

So he's talented, good-looking, down-to-earth, a fair sportsman in his
discipline - Hayden is an aggressive racer but not "bone-headed", in
his own words - and has this funky, down-home Kentucky accent to boot.
If he wasn't the real deal, he'd be completely irritating.

PART OF A TREND
Hayden is not alone among motorcycle racers who've started cycling for
fitness and turned out as avowed, leg-shaving hard-core roadies.
Australian Troy Bayliss, who currently leads the rival World Superbike
Championship, is also known for his 'road cycling'
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...=troybayliss02)
(Bayliss entered local cycling road races when he was based in Italy
and finished mid-pack). He loves it that much he once paid $6,000 for a
'special bicycle'
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/liteducati.shtml), with the
proceeds going to victims of the September 11 tragedy.

Among Hayden's contemporaries in the Moto GP paddock, Italian Dani
Pedrosa is also a keen cyclist (his younger brother is aiming to be a
professional cyclist) as is Marco Melandri. Fellow Italian Max Biaggi
once had to miss rounds of the Grand Prix due to an accident riding his
mountain bike.

Next year, the rider's weight and fitness could be even more important
as motorcycle racing's governing body decided to reduce the engine
capacity of Moto GP bikes from 1000cc to 800cc. As Hayden explained,
the move to 800cc machines in 2007 will mean "the rider's weight is
going to be even more of a factor".

Another view of Hayden at work
Photo ©: Nicky Hayden'[image:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...nicky_3tn.jpg]
' (http://tinyurl.com/fdke5)

Hayden is yet to throw a leg over a factory Honda 800cc Moto GP bike
but given the resources of Honda, it is certain to be competitive.
Hayden hinted he may get a chance as Honda Racing has booked out the
Brno circuit in the Czech Republic for two days after the next round of
the championship.

But the final five rounds of the 2006 championship await Hayden, and
it's a season that is turning out to be something like professional
cycling - minus the controversy.

Cycling has had Lance Armstrong's iron grip of its flagship road race,
while motorcycle racing still has Valentino Rossi, the quirky,
flamboyant and brilliant Italian. Like Armstrong at the Tour de France,
Rossi has dominated Moto GP, but this year he's had what could be a
called a shocker of a season. Hayden, meanwhile, has put in one
consistent race after the other to lead what has been at times a
chaotic and unpredictable championship.

"I'm having an awesome time this year," Hayden said. "Normally, it's
pretty well wrapped up [the Moto GP championship] by now but not this
year. And the racing has been great for the fans; there have been some
real dogfights out there and I'm really looking forward to these final
rounds."

Hayden continues his quest to become the first American since Kenny
Roberts Jr. to win motorcycle racing's premier class with the Czech
Republic Moto GP this weekend, August 20.

Nicky is telling us what we already know, and those who dont too...good
to see...and good to see more and more every day how to so many elite
athletes, sportstars and now the odd politician, that Cycling is an
important part of life ....(yep we arnt just preaching to the converted
any more!).......

--
rooman

Old August 18th 06, 04:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Stevenson

rooman wrote:
-(FROM CYCLINGNEWS.COM TODAY)-

What part of this, from the bottom of that page, don't you understand:

Copyright ©1995-2006 Knapp Communications Pty Ltd. All content published
on Cyclingnews.com is protected by copyright. No unauthorised
reproduction is permitted.
Old August 18th 06, 09:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

John Stevenson Wrote:
rooman wrote:
-(FROM CYCLINGNEWS.COM TODAY)-

What part of this, from the bottom of that page, don't you understand:

Copyright ©1995-2006 Knapp Communications Pty Ltd. All content
published
on Cyclingnews.com is protected by copyright. No unauthorised
reproduction is permitted.it is for those who dont understand, those who do, understand it all

very clearly!, and, advocate for more and more to get the
message...do you?

--
rooman

Old August 19th 06, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Random Data

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 06:30:44 +1000, rooman wrote:

it is for those who dont understand, those who do, understand it all
very clearly!, and, advocate for more and more to get the message...do
you?

Not with that "grammar", no.

And perhaps you want to have closer look at the name you've just replied
to. Maybe even chuck it into Google and see what comes back... (hint: add
"bike" after the name").

--
Dave Hughes |
Random miscellany, as opposed to that other kind of miscellany