Idea to warn cyclists against trying to pass on the inside. of lorries

Old April 26th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Idea to warn cyclists against trying to pass on the inside. of lorries

Seems a sensible one to me.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/967...clists_sa fe/

CYCLING around Oxford, Jessica Friend knows first hand the dangers faced
from lorries. So she hit on an idea that the 22-year-old hopes will keep
two-wheelers safe on the UK’s roads.

The organisation behind the How’s My Driving? signs is backing her bid to
come up with a lorry sticker to warn cyclists against trying to pass on the
inside. Miss Friend has launched a competition to find an eye-catching
design to go on more than 1,000 lorries nationwide. She was inspired to act
when an uncle was knocked off his bike after being clipped by a lorry in
London. He escaped with minor injuries, but accidents involving cyclists
trying to pass large vehicles on the inside, particularly at junctions, are
often fatal.

She said: “Some cyclists pull alongside a large vehicle and think they can
go off faster than a bus. “I cycle along routes where there is lots of
space for you, but as soon as I get to a roundabout or junction I dismount.”
The signs would educate cyclists but also make drivers more aware of the
dangers, she said.

Miss Friend, who lives in Sibford Ferris, near Banbury, added: “I think it
is really important, especially in Oxford because of it’s cycling culture.
“It is not just an issue for London. It is really key in places like Oxford
and Cambridge.”

Ross Smith, director at How’s My Driving?, said he was delighted to help
after being contacted by the former University of East Anglia student. He
said: “When you are on a bike you don’t have a lot of time to read a notice
so we are hoping people will come up with an eye-catching design or slogan.”
The social enterprise is paying for the competition and has four national
haulage firms signed up to take the winning design. He said: “Cyclists are
the only category of road user where deaths have increased in the last two
years. We want to do something about that.”

Banbury MP Tony Baldry launched the InTandem competition with the help of
its mascot, Gus the Gorilla. He said: “Road safety is an important issue
not just in urban areas, but also in rural areas such as those surrounding
Banbury.

Old April 26th 12, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Apr 26, 10:36*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
Seems a sensible one to me.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/967..._sticker_to_ke...

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...ail/story.html
Old April 26th 12, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:36:34 +0100, Mr. Benn wrote:

She was inspired to act when an uncle was knocked off his bike
after being clipped by a lorry in London. He escaped with minor
injuries, but accidents involving cyclists trying to pass large
vehicles on the inside, particularly at junctions, are often fatal.

How many non-sequiturs can you get in one paragraph?

"He was inspired to produce stickers warning of the dangers of
juggling chainsaws when a niece was attacked by a tiger. She wasn't
completely eaten, but skydiving accidents are often fatal"

“I cycle along routes where there is lots of space for you, but as
soon as I get to a roundabout or junction I dismount.”

Yeah, when I was six I was only allowed to ride round and round and
round the block too. I'm not sure that's a qualification for
offering road safety advice.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 26th 12, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:27:25 -0700 (PDT), Squashme wrote:

snip

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.u...ail/story.html

Before he was overtaken by the bus - why was he riding in the middle of the
lane making it difficult for other vehicles to overtake him?

Perhaps he *wanted* to be squeezed
Old April 26th 12, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

snip

Is that what made you a narrow-minded ****wit?

Old April 26th 12, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Mr. Benn wrote:

Seems a sensible one to me.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/967...ker_to_keep_cy
clists_safe/

CYCLING around Oxford, Jessica Friend knows first hand the dangers faced
from lorries. So she hit on an idea that the 22-year-old hopes will keep
two-wheelers safe on the UK's roads.

The organisation behind the How's My Driving? signs is backing her bid to
come up with a lorry sticker to warn cyclists against trying to pass on the
inside. Miss Friend has launched a competition to find an eye-catching
design to go on more than 1,000 lorries nationwide. She was inspired to act
when an uncle was knocked off his bike after being clipped by a lorry in
London. He escaped with minor injuries, but accidents involving cyclists
trying to pass large vehicles on the inside, particularly at junctions, are
often fatal.

is it? since there is so few data points ie folks being killed.

since a lot of lorries have those (don't over take this side stickers)
and frankly the clear danger of riding that close.

I'm not sure what this brings to the party.

She said: "Some cyclists pull alongside a large vehicle and think they can
go off faster than a bus. "I cycle along routes where there is lots of
space for you, but as soon as I get to a roundabout or junction I dismount."
The signs would educate cyclists but also make drivers more aware of the
dangers, she said.

mind you I'd be fairly embrarrised if a bus could out accellerate me,
out here they tend to reach higher speeds into central london they don't
tend to even if the road is clear so they are easy overtakes

Miss Friend, who lives in Sibford Ferris, near Banbury, added: "I think it
is really important, especially in Oxford because of it's cycling culture.
"It is not just an issue for London. It is really key in places like Oxford
and Cambridge."

Ross Smith, director at How's My Driving?, said he was delighted to help
after being contacted by the former University of East Anglia student. He
said: "When you are on a bike you don't have a lot of time to read a notice
so we are hoping people will come up with an eye-catching design or slogan."
The social enterprise is paying for the competition and has four national
haulage firms signed up to take the winning design. He said: "Cyclists are
the only category of road user where deaths have increased in the last two
years. We want to do something about that."

nothing like a nice low figure that devates a bit so that you can have
fair swings both up and down! ;-)

Banbury MP Tony Baldry launched the InTandem competition with the help of
its mascot, Gus the Gorilla. He said: "Road safety is an important issue
not just in urban areas, but also in rural areas such as those surrounding
Banbury.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old April 26th 12, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message

Mr. Benn wrote:

[...]

How many need to be killed? Seriously, anything to warn cyclists of the
dangers of lorries can't do any harm can it? Cycling up the left of a lorry
is a big no-no. In fact cycling up the left of any vehicle is not a good
idea.

Old April 26th 12, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/04/2012 14:23, Ian Smith wrote:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:36:34 +0100, Mr. wrote:

She was inspired to act when an uncle was knocked off his bike
after being clipped by a lorry in London. He escaped with minor
injuries, but accidents involving cyclists trying to pass large
vehicles on the inside, particularly at junctions, are often fatal.

How many non-sequiturs can you get in one paragraph?

Are there any in that paragraph you quoted?

If you think there are, perhaps you could point it/them out.

Old April 26th 12, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Cycle hub planned for Manchester office block with parking spaces for 200 bikes

A great idea.

QUOTE:
A landmark building in Manchester is set to have a secure ‘cycle hub’
installed in its basement, which will provide parking for up to 200
bicycles, changing facilities and lockers. It is also hoped that the hub,
which is planed under the Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle Project, could
incorporate a retail outlet selling cycle accessories and providing a
bicycle maintenance service.

According to the Manchester Evening News, plans for the cycle hub at the
30-storey City Tower in Piccadilly Gardens, owned by commercial property
business Bruntwod, have been set out in a report compiled by the city’s
transport bosses, although it does not appear to have been made public as
yet on the Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website.

The newspaper adds that the report states that “Positive discussions have
taken place with cycle retailers regarding the retail unit with a view to
the letting of this unit by the time the centre is opened,” which is
scheduled to take place this summer.

Last year, TfGM successfully applied for £4.9 million of Local Sustainable
Transport Fund (LSTF) money which together with local authority and other
funding will enable it to develop the Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle
Project, aimed at making it easier for people to cycle to work.

The first phase of that initiative envisages more than 1,000 secure cycle
parking spaces in 13 locations throughout Greater Manchester, with TfGM
saying that access to the facilities would be via a swipe card, with
membership available on an annual basis.

In November, confirming that planning applications had already been
submitted relating to proposed facilities at Ashton Pool and Bury
Interchange and that further LSTF finding was being sought, Councillor
Andrew Fender, Chair of the TfGM Committee, said: "The Commuter Cycle
Project is a very important first step on the path to achieving the
ambitious aims covered by our full Local Sustainable Transport Fund bid, so
I'm pleased we're making progress.

"These cycle hubs will provide the foundations for a real change in the way
people think about cycling; they will help to break down some of the
barriers - both real and perceived - that currently stop people from taking
their bike to work."

The Manchester Evening News states that according to the latest report, such
facilities are now planned for Rochdale, Trafford, Oldham, Stockport and
Wigan, with its authors adding, “Development work has also been undertaken
for a potential cycle hub at Media City and a facility at Spinningfields in
Manchester city centre. Provision for a hub at the Arndale is also being
considered.”

http://road.cc/content/news/57162-cy...aces-200-bikes

--
Simon Mason

Old April 27th 12, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 26/04/2012 23:35, Phil W Lee wrote:

And is also distorted by the fact that cycling is the only form of
road traffic that's in growth at the moment.

Growth from '**** all' to 'slightly above **** all'?

I grew my margin on wall plugs this month. From .001% to .015%.

University