Axle Widths

Old May 20th 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Axle Widths

I have a set of Campy Atlanta 96 wheels. Will these things take a 10 speed or will I have to replace the rear axle?
Old May 21st 17, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/20/2017 3:48 PM, wrote:
I have a set of Campy Atlanta 96 wheels. Will these things take a 10 speed or will I have to replace the rear axle?

Atlanta 96 are AFAIK just deep aero rims.
On what hubs did you build them?

Campagnolo original CS hubs are 8 speed (in theory 7sp too
but hardly any exist). Those are distinctive in sporting a
big lump on the right side of the hubshell between flanges.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/yeasowat.jpg

The current (since 1999) Campagnolo format supports 9-10-11
speed Campagnolo cassettes.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CANEWHUB.JPG`

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 5:16:01 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2017 3:48 PM, wrote:
I have a set of Campy Atlanta 96 wheels. Will these things take a 10 speed or will I have to replace the rear axle?

Atlanta 96 are AFAIK just deep aero rims.
On what hubs did you build them?

Campagnolo original CS hubs are 8 speed (in theory 7sp too
but hardly any exist). Those are distinctive in sporting a
big lump on the right side of the hubshell between flanges.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/yeasowat.jpg

The current (since 1999) Campagnolo format supports 9-10-11
speed Campagnolo cassettes.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CANEWHUB.JPG`

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

They are complete Campy wheels with the bulb hub you're talking about. I am using them as 9 speed without problem. But there doesn't appear to be sufficient clearance for a 10th speed.

Pro Bike Kit has a killer deal on Scirocco wheels so I just ordered a set. I intended to keep them for my Eddy but I can install them on the Basso.

The Eddy is good for general riding but the Basso Loto is way better for hard riding. I think I stumbled across the only 62 cm Loto in existence when I found this one. My previous Basso was a Gap.

I would leave the Basso as a 9 speed but parts are impossible to come by and a set of Record 9 speed levers used cost more than nearly new 10 speed.
Old May 21st 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

axle lengths

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/r...les+Campagnolo

strong but re-straighten able in vise with square n 11 pound shirt handle hammer

Old May 21st 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
axle lengths

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/r...les+Campagnolo

strong but re-straighten able in vise with square n 11 pound shirt handle hammer

Thanks but two points - it would be an 8 mm axle. And it came to me that 7, 8 and 9 speed cassettes all increased the width one step each increase in speed but that 10 speed cassettes were only the width of a 9 speed.

So when I get around to putting all the components onto the Basso when they all arrive the 10 speed should work fine. Looking at Sheldon't crib sheet it says that 130 mm was the same for all of more width than 7 speed. Though I thought that I remembered 124, 126 and 127 spacing before getting to 130..
Old May 21st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.hotrodworks.com/technical...-measurements/
Old May 22nd 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/21/2017 4:46 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
axle lengths

http://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/r...les+Campagnolo

strong but re-straighten able in vise with square n 11 pound shirt handle hammer

Thanks but two points - it would be an 8 mm axle. And it came to me that 7, 8 and 9 speed cassettes all increased the width one step each increase in speed but that 10 speed cassettes were only the width of a 9 speed.

So when I get around to putting all the components onto the Basso when they all arrive the 10 speed should work fine. Looking at Sheldon't crib sheet it says that 130 mm was the same for all of more width than 7 speed. Though I thought that I remembered 124, 126 and 127 spacing before getting to 130.

Four/five speed format generally 120/121mm, six speed and
early sevens 125/126mm, slowly creeping over a few years[1]
to 130mm where we remain today for non-disc road bikes.

Ten speed Campagnolo cassettes hang over on the low gear
side using the same cassette body as nine. Early 8 cassette
bodies will not accept current cassettes see image:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/CACS890.JPG

You can see the offset of that ten speed low gear on the right.

[1] A road hub from the mid-1970s to about 1992 could well
be just about any number in that range, 'standards'
notwithstanding.

Old May 22nd 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 4:36:02 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/21/2017 4:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

I do have the stepped 9 speed cassettes and there is a lot of clearance on the smallest cog. So I'm sure that the 10 speed will work. And looking in my cupboard I discovered a new spare 10 speed cassette.

So by the end of the week I should be able to have a fully set up Basso which I can use on the hardest rides. The only thing you have to remember is to always have the inside pedal up since the Loto BB is almost an inch lower than the Eddy.

Solid rear axle or quick release axle soup UK 5 July 30th 09 10:16 AM
Axle slipping when tightening track hub axle nut mickster Techniques 10 February 21st 06 01:18 AM
new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability Gemma_k Techniques 2 April 24th 05 12:52 PM
different axle widths Miles Techniques 1 November 30th 04 02:46 PM
different axle widths Miles General 0 November 29th 04 01:53 AM