Okay I've fallen off now

Old May 9th 04, 05:08 PM
VisionSet

Default Okay I've fallen off now

Had to happen, but curiously not how I expected it.
My new clipless pedals are now 3 weeks old, and I fell off today.
Well aware of the fact I needed to get out of them, I was at lights, nudging
along waiting for green, then I just fell off. I thought getting out of
them at the last 1/2 second would be a cinch, but it wasn't, and not helped
by the fact I had just cranked up the release up couple of notches.
Oh well, no harm done, knarly climbers hands saved the day, reached out and
braced for a harmless, though exceedingly embarrassing impact. Didn't even
scuff a pedal.

Note to self: Unclip in good time, especially in a built up area!

--
Mike W

Old May 9th 04, 05:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 9 May 2004 17:08:33 +0100, "VisionSet"
wrote in message 6Jsnc.48$RX3.38@newsfe6-win:

My new clipless pedals are now 3 weeks old, and I fell off today.

OK, great, that's over with. It only happens the once, after all ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 9th 04, 06:25 PM
Zog The Undeniable

VisionSet wrote:
Had to happen, but curiously not how I expected it.
My new clipless pedals are now 3 weeks old, and I fell off today.
Well aware of the fact I needed to get out of them, I was at lights, nudging
along waiting for green, then I just fell off. I thought getting out of
them at the last 1/2 second would be a cinch, but it wasn't, and not helped
by the fact I had just cranked up the release up couple of notches.
Oh well, no harm done, knarly climbers hands saved the day, reached out and
braced for a harmless, though exceedingly embarrassing impact. Didn't even
scuff a pedal.

Note to self: Unclip in good time, especially in a built up area!

You should see the SPDs on my MTB. It's been stacked so many times the
sides are burnished [1] aluminium.

[1] "deeply gouged" would be a slightly more accurate description
Old May 9th 04, 06:41 PM
Doki

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
VisionSet wrote:
Had to happen, but curiously not how I expected it.
My new clipless pedals are now 3 weeks old, and I fell off today.
Well aware of the fact I needed to get out of them, I was at lights,
nudging along waiting for green, then I just fell off. I thought
getting out of them at the last 1/2 second would be a cinch, but it
wasn't, and not helped by the fact I had just cranked up the release
up couple of notches.
Oh well, no harm done, knarly climbers hands saved the day, reached
out and braced for a harmless, though exceedingly embarrassing
impact. Didn't even scuff a pedal.

Note to self: Unclip in good time, especially in a built up area!

You should see the SPDs on my MTB. It's been stacked so many times
the sides are burnished [1] aluminium.

[1] "deeply gouged" would be a slightly more accurate description

I'm not the only person who manages to fall off every other time they go
offroad then ?

Old May 9th 04, 08:28 PM
Peter B

"Doki" wrote in message

I'm not the only person who manages to fall off every other time they go
offroad then ?

If you don't fall off when riding off-road you ain't trying ;-)
--
Regards,
Pete

Old May 9th 04, 08:49 PM
davek

Oh well, no harm done, knarly climbers hands saved the day, reached out
and
braced for a harmless, though exceedingly embarrassing impact. Didn't

even
scuff a pedal.

I had a very similar experience when I was out with the club a couple of
weeks ago. If you think it's embarrassing doing it front of a load of
motorists, imagine how embarrassing it is doing it in front of your fellow
cyclists...

d.

Old May 9th 04, 11:05 PM
Iain Jones

"VisionSet" wrote in

Had to happen, but curiously not how I expected it.
My new clipless pedals are now 3 weeks old, and I fell off today.
Well aware of the fact I needed to get out of them, I was at lights,
nudging along waiting for green, then I just fell off. I thought
getting out of them at the last 1/2 second would be a cinch, but it
wasn't, and not helped by the fact I had just cranked up the release
up couple of notches. Oh well, no harm done, knarly climbers hands
saved the day, reached out and braced for a harmless, though
exceedingly embarrassing impact. Didn't even scuff a pedal.

Note to self: Unclip in good time, especially in a built up area!

It happened to me once, and several near-misses since. Funny, on my old
bike, in 2 years I only fell off once (a helmet caused it, would you
believe?! but that's for another thread ;-). Then my brother converted me
to drop bars, lycra and SPD's. Now I can't stop falling off.
Old May 10th 04, 12:08 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Doki
') wrote:

I'm not the only person who manages to fall off every other time they
go offroad then ?

Errrrr.... no.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

Old May 10th 04, 12:30 AM
VisionSet

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote in message

First happened to me in France on holiday. Pulled up at the junction,
twisted my foot and nothing happened. My parents description was that I
frantically waved my foot around, then seemed to give up and just put my
hands out. Amazingly, as the bike hit the floor, both feet unclipped.

Yeah, so did mine... which was nice.

--
Mike W