From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18th 03, 12:04 PM
hippy

Default From a Melbourne bicycle courier.

Fledge wrote:

Hmm, mountain bikes, interesting....and what about road familiarity,
general fitness etc.? How good do you have to be ability-wise to
make it as a courier? Surely not A-grade material as #215 put it?
*crosses fingers*

(x-posted to rec.bicycles.misc for some international opinions)

I've been watching this thread and I'm curious...
I've got a nice cushy office job that I'm not about to let go of,
BUT if there was one job I'd like to try before I retire it's always
been a bike courier. Ever since I saw some kids-ish show on
the ABC about a bunch of pommie couriers I've been fascinated
with the whole scene. If you don't mind, here's some questions:

What are the hours like?
What are the pay rates like? (performance based, yeah?)
Actually.. do you know of any "courier diaries" that would
outline a 'day at the office' so to speak?
What is your day like? How HARD is the riding and the
lifestyle generally?
Do any Aussie couriers do like the NYC dudes and ride
fixies or is it mostly mtb's? (most of Melbourne's seem to
be on mtb's..)
Do you have courier races?
Is it true that your hearts pump, not blood, but coffee? :-)
Why the tape all over the bikes? What's the point in
protecting the paint if you never see it? Is this just
so you can sell it after 100, 000k's to some sucker
as "near new"? :-)
What would you say if you were offered an easy office
job for double or triple the money you make now?
Given that you ride all day every day (I guess) - do you
ride "for fun" on weekends or anything?

thanks to any couriers for answering these...
i've genuinely been thinking about your job
as a career choice, although sanity has so far prevailed
and i've stuck with the office-bound lifestyle...for now ;-)

tipsy hippy

Clean bicycle shoes? TekBuf General 3 July 14th 03 05:05 PM
Commuter Bicycle with fenders, chainguard, rack, etc., Any available in the U.S.? Steven M. Scharf General 3 July 13th 03 04:40 PM
Bicycle Courier Business Plan http://www.businessplanning-4-you.com General 0 July 12th 03 12:41 PM