hub spacers, and a question about older ZIPP rears

Old December 31st 05, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default hub spacers, and a question about older ZIPP rears

Okay, so this one doesn't involve bike shops...

I posted a while back asking about hub spacers and mavic cosmos rears, etc.
I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel, on an
XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only the thin
0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs didn't lock
down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out (they aren't cut all
the way through for strength reasons). When I used the 0.5mm spacer with the
1mm wider flange spacer that comes with the hubs, the cassette locks down
well (using the freewheel tool which I actually own...) but the alignment of
the 11 is so far over that I couldn't get my rear derailleur to swing over
far enough even with the high stop all the way out. I tried a spacer under
the derallieur attachement, but it was catching on a dropout attachement and
tilting the whole thing over to the side a bit, as well as keeping it from
rotating well for some strange reason.

Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on the hub
and its working perfectly. Incidentally, I got the extra spacers along with
an auction I won for a set a carbon brake pads. I realized the auction was
old stock from a bike shop, and asked the guy about my problem. He threw in
the extra spacer for no charge with a merry christmas. Again, I was prepared
to pay, but he understood that he was probably better off losing the, say,
$0.20 on it and gaining a loyal customer.

But anyway, thanks to all for your help on that one, its perfect now.

Another stupid question of the day, I just picked up a used ZIPP440 with the
217 rear hub (the one with the carbon center part) that it seems wasn't
lubricated correctly and feels very stiff to rotate. I started cleaning it
as per ZIPPs instructions and its getting better, but 2 questions... do
these 'click' like most hubs? Also, should I really get the ZIPP lube or is
there something very similar to it more readily available

-josh

Old December 31st 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

You can use Tri-flow and yes they do click. I hope yours isn't ruined
from neglect or from using the wrong lube.

Phil H

Old December 31st 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ahh yes. Thanks so much. I got it the rest of the way clean and relubed and
its clicking and spinning nice and smooth. If I had to guess I'd say it was
freshly mis-lubed before I bought it so no damage was done.

cheers
-Josh

"Phil Holman" piholmanc@yourservice wrote in message
. ..

Old December 31st 05, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Josh wrote:
I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel, on an
XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only the thin
0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs didn't lock
down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out (they aren't cut all
the way through for strength reasons). When I used the 0.5mm spacer with the
1mm wider flange spacer that comes with the hubs, the cassette locks down
well (using the freewheel tool which I actually own...) but the alignment of
the 11 is so far over that I couldn't get my rear derailleur to swing over
far enough even with the high stop all the way out.
Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on the hub
and its working perfectly.

I've sucessfully ground about a millimeter off length of the cassette
body's splines to let the 11 go on farther. Takes a careful hand, but
isn't that hard and works a treat! Something to think about if your
derailleur spring gets a little weaker.