VELORUTION! (bike revolution)

Old April 18th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default VELORUTION! (bike revolution)

OK, assume a far away land --a Banana Republic if you will-- where the
cyclists are victims of discrimination and injustice, and all of a
sudden they come to power... and voila, VELORUTION!

Like the article bellow says, not all vehicles are equal... The
smaller, the more protection they need; the bigger, the more
responsibility. On urban multi-lane roads, the right lane has a set
speed of 20mph, monitored by speed cameras. Bikes ride the lane. Do
they get tickets for running red lights? Nah, they hurt no one but
themselves.

WHAT WOULD THE ROAD BE LIKE FOR CYCLISTS?

Be sure to have your T-shirt ready...

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...16450?CMPN=ltt

This article describes how cyclists are at the bottom of the food
chain, even in a place known for traffic safety. Which means there
needs to be a worldwide change for cyclists' rights...

Cyclists are Victims of the Law of the Jungle

And in reference to the above article about London, this reader states
that cyclists should not have equal rights as automobiles, but
actually MORE rights.

Again, before there's war, it's better to separate.

Velorution in the mind The Financial Times has a worthy but dull
article on the resurgence of urban cycling in the UK, with a focus on
London. It cannot escape from the cliche' of the number of people
riding through red lights; it is like if every article about digital
photography mentioned people taking illegal pictures at museums. Of
course figures of injuries caused by riding through red lights are
never offered.

The torpor in the journalist's mind is evident in the last few
paragraphs:

There's no doubt that car drivers need to clean up their act. Taking
speed limits down to 20mph in built-up areas will make the roads safer
for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike. Enforcing the ban on
mobile phone use will help drivers become more attentive. And applying
the Highway Code more strictly will make many people think twice about
engaging in the current bully-boy hierarchy of bigger is better.

Now, saying that motor vehicles should have the same rights as
pedestrians or cyclists is like saying that water skiers should be
allowed on all waters in front of a popular beach. The Highway Code by
instigating this non-sensical equality status, that inevitably leads
to the law of the jungle, is bunk. It has the same moral standing as
the South African Pbutt Law.

It is not abiding to rules that we should exhort, but consideration to
all other people and especially to those who are more vulnerable than
ourselves. Yes there are definitely inconsiderate bicycle riders in
London, and it is absolutely no excuse to say, 'It is a jungle out
there, I need to defend my self'. We need to raise the level of social
responsibility, starting by ourselves. The roads are a commons to be
enjoyed by everyone, starting by people on foot. Then the greater or
more dangerous the vehicle one chooses to use, the fewer rights one
has and the more consideration one needs to give to more vulnerable
people.

http://www.ugroups.com/driver/Cyclis...ngle-4890.html

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old April 18th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 18, 3:06 pm, "Pat" wrote:
There is no bicycle war. There will be no war. It's all in your head.

Nobody said there's going to be war, just velorution.

But remember I said in a far away land, and "the chain is not stronger
than its weakest link," and there are many places boiling in the
world, like say Haiti.

They could use a lot of bikes instead of buying junk cars shipped from
Miami.
Old April 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 3:06 pm, "Pat" wrote:
There is no bicycle war. There will be no war. It's all in your head.

Nobody said there's going to be war, just velorution.

But remember I said in a far away land, and "the chain is not stronger
than its weakest link," and there are many places boiling in the
world, like say Haiti.

They could use a lot of bikes instead of buying junk cars shipped from
Miami.

The people in Haiti are starving to death and you want them to ride bikes
and die from expending the little energy they are getting from food? That
is really sick.

Old April 18th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
donquijote1954

On Apr 18, 3:06 pm, "Pat" wrote:
There is no bicycle war. There will be no war. It's all in your head.

Nobody said there's going to be war, just velorution.

But remember I said in a far away land, and "the chain is not stronger
than its weakest link," and there are many places boiling in the
world, like say Haiti.

They could use a lot of bikes instead of buying junk cars shipped from
Miami.

The people in Haiti are starving to death and you want them to ride bikes
and die from expending the little energy they are getting from food? *That
is really sick.

Well, this is the introduction I gave it to them...

Are Blacks the only victims of Apartheid?

Not only them, but the people who are poor and the people who ride
bicycles... Yep, poverty and bikes have to do with democracy. The poor
need bicycles to get to work, so they can eat. But more often than
not, it ain't safe to ride a bike, even in the richest nations of the
Earth! Cyclists are treated like second-class citizens, where SUVs
signal power and money, just like among the elites who rule the poor
nations. So it is that this revolution puts together LIBERATION,
BICYCLES AND DEMOCRACY...

Old April 19th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

=v= Those of us who coined the word "velorution" think you
should make up your own word for your paranoid ramblings
and leave ours alone.
_Jym_

Old April 19th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

http://www.ugroups.com/driver/Cyclis...ngle-4890.html

=v= A page with FUD and car ads. How "velorutionary" can you get?
_Jym_

Old April 19th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
OK, assume a far away land --a Banana Republic if you will-- where
the
cyclists are victims of discrimination and injustice, and all of a
sudden they come to power... and voila, VELORUTION!

Goodness gracious. All this is very un-British. I live, and ride my
bicycle in London, which seems to be the far-away land that you are
talking about. London's a pretty good city to ride a bicycle in, no
need for new laws or conventions.

We have a book that tells you how to do it, and describes the rules
and conventions which people should, and indeed do follow. It's
"Cyclecraft", by John Franklin. Highly recommended if you don't want
to win yourself a Darwin award.

Jeremy Parker

Old April 20th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads. What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

Well, I made it alive because I rode the back alleys, gutters and
sidewalks of America, a strategy developed by our ancestors the
monkeys when they kept to the tree branches in order to survive. I
think on the road of evolution, Homo Sapiens somehow lost all common
sense. Somehow the alpha-male monkeys wanted to be a lion...

It was a nice ride.

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...02224199217660

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Old April 20th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
ComandanteBanana writes:

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads.

Whaddaya expect? It's Sunday morning.

What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

Scratch his ass and say: "Ook, ook."

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

You must indeed be a sight to behold.

I hope you don't leave banana peels lyin' around
on the streets.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 20th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 20, 11:43*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * ComandanteBanana writes:

(Hey, it seems that the Christians in their SUVs are in control of our
roads.

Whaddaya expect? *It's Sunday morning.

What's a monkey riding a bike to do?)

Scratch his ass and say: "Ook, ook."

Well, that's actually a principle of solidarity (like that should
exist among the cyclists)...

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...44539565161514

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

You must indeed be a sight to behold.

I hope you don't leave banana peels lyin' around
on the streets.

Actually, that's my secret weapon. Also you have to know everything
about the jungle.

A monkey’s survival depend on knowing what’s going on in the jungle.
He knows the beasts are out there, and must stay out of their reach
because they are stupid and violent. That’s why the monkeys are still
around…

Motorist runs over woman, crashes into Walmart

PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. (WSVN)—A woman is in critical condition after the
driver of pickup truck reportedly ran her over intentionally in a
Walmart parking lot Friday.

Police said the driver of the truck repeatedly rammed the woman’s mini-
van at the superstore along the 1800 block of Pines Boulevard. When
the victimized motorist tried to escape her vehicle, the enraged truck
driver ran over her and crashed his pickup into the retailer’s garden
center.

Authorities arrested the truck’s driver.

Paramedics trnsporte the victim to Memorial Regional Hospital.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI83576/

VELORUTION! (bike revolution) ComandanteBanana General 38 April 23rd 08 12:06 PM
Revolution trailer bike? Brendan Halpin UK 5 April 6th 08 09:09 AM
The 'Velorution' at Ripon College: Give Up Your Car, Get a Bike Claire General 2 February 14th 08 05:36 PM
More Velorution Charles Racing 0 June 11th 07 06:14 AM
Velorution ! Keith Racing 2 June 10th 07 02:42 AM