suspension fork & geometry

Old August 14th 03, 07:35 AM
Skokatt

Default suspension fork & geometry

would a 100mm travel fork mess up the geometry of a frame sold with an
80mm travel fork so much as to make the bike unsafe or unrideable? seems
to me that 2 cm isn't *that* much of a difference... maybe a lower rise
stem to make up the difference if needed?
I am looking into upgrading my stock RST forks to something that is a
little more suited for my weight (210 lbs) and riding style (erratic).
also any input on a brand/model that you might suggest in the $200-$300
price range would be appreciated. I'm not racing or DHing... just
recreational riding.

- Chris -
www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child.
In a jar. On my desk.
Old August 14th 03, 08:18 AM
ellis

"Skokatt" wrote in message
would a 100mm travel fork mess up the geometry of a frame sold with an
80mm travel fork so much as to make the bike unsafe or unrideable? seems
to me that 2 cm isn't *that* much of a difference... maybe a lower rise
stem to make up the difference if needed?
I am looking into upgrading my stock RST forks to something that is a
little more suited for my weight (210 lbs) and riding style (erratic).
also any input on a brand/model that you might suggest in the $200-$300
price range would be appreciated. I'm not racing or DHing... just
recreational riding.

- Chris -
www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child.
In a jar. On my desk.

No. I've put a 100 on a bike that came with a rigid fork and hit the trails
just fine. Some of the purists may disagree, however.

Old August 14th 03, 09:53 AM
David Kunz

Skokatt wrote:

would a 100mm travel fork mess up the geometry of a frame sold with an
80mm travel fork so much as to make the bike unsafe or unrideable? seems
to me that 2 cm isn't *that* much of a difference... maybe a lower rise
stem to make up the difference if needed?
I am looking into upgrading my stock RST forks to something that is a
little more suited for my weight (210 lbs) and riding style (erratic).
also any input on a brand/model that you might suggest in the $200-$300
price range would be appreciated. I'm not racing or DHing... just
recreational riding.

- Chris -
www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child.
In a jar. On my desk.

I did that on my Cannondale F1000 and it improved the ride quite a bit
-- head shok - lefty.

David

Old August 14th 03, 02:58 PM

I put a 100 mm double clamp on a frame that came with a
75 mm single clamp. It sent the front up changing the geometry. So
now the bike rides great everywhere but up steep hills. The front end
likes come up while climbing.

Fire up MTB 03

Old August 16th 03, 06:21 AM
D H

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"Skokatt" wrote in message
would a 100mm travel fork mess up the geometry of a frame sold with an
80mm travel fork so much as to make the bike unsafe or unrideable?

seems
to me that 2 cm isn't *that* much of a difference... maybe a lower rise
stem to make up the difference if needed?
I am looking into upgrading my stock RST forks to something that is a
little more suited for my weight (210 lbs) and riding style (erratic).
also any input on a brand/model that you might suggest in the $200-$300
price range would be appreciated. I'm not racing or DHing... just
recreational riding.

If you swap it with a 100mm Marzocchi with ECC you can have the best of
both. When you lock out the ECC for climbing it locks down the fork most

of
the way into it's travel. This makes climbing much easier by steepening

the
head angle. When you get ready to descend unlock the fork and enjoy the
ride down! Whoo Hoo!!! Also Marzocchi's are very well suited to heavier
riders such as yourself. It will change the way you ride and you just may
find yourself DHing! I did after I bought my first Marz.

Mike

Great advice. Mike beat me to it. I did exactly that with my 98 Klein
Mantra and it rides better that way than it ever did with an 80mm. The
lockout definitely is a plus, because you can then get a lower front end
ride than you had with the 80mm, so your climbing on the very steep stuff
will be even easier as far as keeping the front end down. And in my case, I
think the Mantra should have had a 100mm to start with. It performs better
that way in about all conditions. Of course, that was pretty unlikely a
travel distance on an XC bike in those days....
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.