Tonight will be my first night ride - any advise?

Old October 27th 03, 08:43 AM
Lee

Default Tonight will be my first night ride - any advise?

Hello!

The clocks have gone back and Winter is nearly upon us. Tonight will be the
first night I will be riding home in the dark - i have my cat eye lights all
ready and willing to go - can anyone offer any advise on riding at night -
95% of my commute home is off road so advise geared ('scuse the pun) towards
this would be appreciated!

Ta

Lee

Old October 27th 03, 08:52 AM
Lee

"Lee" gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverym uch.btinternet.com
wrote in message ...
Hello!

The clocks have gone back and Winter is nearly upon us. Tonight will be

the
first night I will be riding home in the dark - i have my cat eye lights

all
ready and willing to go - can anyone offer any advise on riding at night -
95% of my commute home is off road so advise geared ('scuse the pun)

towards
this would be appreciated!

Ta

Lee

DOH! I meant advice every time i put advise - bloody computers and
spellcheckers ;-)

Old October 27th 03, 09:06 AM
Ian

Lee must be edykated coz e writed:

Hello!

The clocks have gone back and Winter is nearly upon us. Tonight will be the
first night I will be riding home in the dark - i have my cat eye lights all
ready and willing to go - can anyone offer any advise on riding at night -
95% of my commute home is off road so advise geared ('scuse the pun) towards
this would be appreciated!

Ta

Lee

Make sure you have a flashing rear light as well as a steady one and assume
all car drivers are blind, place yourself further out into the road so you
have more manoeuvring space than usual and keep a constant check all around
you, avoid looking directly at on coming cars as it wrecks your vision, if
you do happen to get caught by a full beam pervert then stop and allow your
vision to clear before continuing.
And watch out for giant bats.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 27th 03, 09:15 AM
Lee

"Ian" wrote in message

And watch out for giant bats.

Eek!

Old October 27th 03, 09:30 AM
Tony W

wrote in message ...
Hello!

The clocks have gone back and Winter is nearly upon us. Tonight will be

the
first night I will be riding home in the dark - i have my cat eye lights

all
ready and willing to go - can anyone offer any advise on riding at night -
95% of my commute home is off road so advise geared ('scuse the pun)

towards
this would be appreciated!

Turn on all your lights. Point your front light so it lights you way. Get
on bike. Pedal.

That's it. You may find you cycle more slowly to compensate for the poorer
visibility. Pedestrians on your route may be even more clueless than
normal. However, if you have good rear lights (one flash, one steady as Ian
suggests) you will probably find that motorists give you more room than they
do in the daylight.

PS. Remember to put a spare set of batteries in your pack.

Old October 27th 03, 09:34 AM
Ian

Lee must be edykated coz e writed:

"Ian" wrote in message

And watch out for giant bats.

Eek!

They are in the employ of the dark side, they hunt down wedgie riders at
night, he he.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 27th 03, 10:34 AM
Lee

"Ian" wrote in message

They are in the employ of the dark side, they hunt down wedgie riders at
night, he he.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ahhh, THOSE bats ;-)

Old October 27th 03, 10:35 AM
Lee

"Tony W" wrote in message

Turn on all your lights. Point your front light so it lights you way.

Get
on bike. Pedal.

That's it. You may find you cycle more slowly to compensate for the

poorer
visibility. Pedestrians on your route may be even more clueless than
normal. However, if you have good rear lights (one flash, one steady as

Ian
suggests) you will probably find that motorists give you more room than

they
do in the daylight.

PS. Remember to put a spare set of batteries in your pack.

Aye, fingers crossed I should be ok - I have all the necessary kit apart
from a spare set of batteries - i can see a shopping trip coming on at
dinner ;-)

Old October 27th 03, 11:07 AM
AndyP

"Lee" wrote

The clocks have gone back and Winter is nearly upon us. Tonight will be

the
first night I will be riding home in the dark - i have my cat eye lights

all
ready and willing to go - can anyone offer any advise on riding at night -
95% of my commute home is off road so advise geared ('scuse the pun)

towards
this would be appreciated!

If that's off road as in cycle path watch out for people approaching without
lights. If it's off road as in paths through the woods, fields etc remember
that every rustle or pair of reflected eyes is probably something out to
kill you.

Old October 27th 03, 11:14 AM
Lee

"AndyP" wrote in message

If that's off road as in cycle path watch out for people approaching

without
lights. If it's off road as in paths through the woods, fields etc

remember
that every rustle or pair of reflected eyes is probably something out to
kill you.

Its off road cycle paths - ill bear in mind not everyone has a brain ;-)

And there is a small section of my commute actually in a secluded area - so
that will be nice then ;-)

First night ride Zilla Mountain Biking 9 February 10th 04 12:09 PM
A Sycamore Canyon "Homecoming" ride Michael Paul Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 08:44 PM
Lar's 24 hr ride part 2 Cokerhead Unicycling 4 July 18th 03 01:34 AM