Snow-riding?

Old January 31st 05, 11:48 PM
Edward Dolan

Default Snow-riding?

"NY Rides" wrote in message
OK, I need to get my blood going again or I'm going to be a lump of pure
fat
by spring time.

The streets out here on Long Island are still thick with snow in most
places. Has anybody here used studded winter tires for purely
recreational
riding? What I mean to ask is, if I don't NEED to use my bike to get
somewhere (ie: commute to work), is the experience of riding on snow worth
the cost of a set of studded tires?

Also, has anybody made their own set of these?

I did what you are thinking of many years ago and it really doesn't work
very well. Sooner or later you are going to encounter a slippery patch
(usually ice) and down you go. It is not worth breaking your hip to ride in
snow and ice. If you want to be safe I suggest you get a recumbent trike.
You will never have to worry about falling on a recumbent trike and you can
get plenty of good exercise on them.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 1st 05, 12:46 AM
Roger Nolan

Kurt,
The NoCom is a racing bike. Some of the A.R.B,R. regulars do not like to talk about cycling and are threatened by bike talk and active lifestyle. I say buy a NoCom and you can not go wrong. Do not pay attention to some of the people at A.R.B.R. that do not like the NoCom.

Roger Nolan

Kurt Richter
Guest

What is this Velokraft NoCom? I was going to buy a trike but after reading this post I decided to hold off and buy a fast machine. Does anyone have any photos or links?

Kurt Richter

Old February 1st 05, 01:49 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

"NY Rides" wrote in message

[...]

However, it is possible to flip a trike (or other multi-track vehicles)
if one slides sideways on a low coefficient of friction surface (e.g.
ice) onto a higher coefficient of friction surface (e.g. dry pavement).
This may seem unlikely to happen, but recumbent trikes (at least
tadpoles) tend to bring out the crazy side in many people.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 1st 05, 02:53 AM
Edward Dolan

"Roger Nolan" wrote in message
Kurt,
The NoCom is a racing bike. Some of the A.R.B,R. regulars do not like to
talk about cycling and are threatened by bike talk and active lifestyle. I
say buy a NoCom and you can not go wrong. Do not pay attention to some of
the people at A.R.B.R. that do not like the NoCom.

Roger Nolan

Kurt Richter
Guest

What is this Velokraft NoCom? I was going to buy a trike but after reading
this post I decided to hold off and buy a fast machine. Does anyone have
any photos or links?

Kurt Richter

****ing Ed Gin! What a Dip****! Hey Ed Gin - why don't you go **** yourself
instead of posting your God Damn nonsense, you stupid son of a bitch. No one
on ARBR is ever going to buy your ****ing God Damn NoCom bike. I will see to
that, you fat Chinese son of bitch.

Get your own web site, you God Damn moron! If you don't I am going to start
posting original threads about you, you imbecilic asshole. Why don't you
take your ****ing NoCom bike and ram it up your ass, you slant-eyed *******.
God, I know what you look like and you are disgusting and revolting. You
need to kill yourself and thereby purify the earth of your loathsome
presence. You are nothing but an ugly beast. No one here on ARBR gives a
**** about your ****ing NoCom bike. Why don't you take your bike and ram it
up your ass, you supreme dork and jerk.

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 2nd 05, 01:38 AM
JoeD

I never ridden in snow but I found an interesting website that
specializes in winter riding.

http://www.icebike.com/Default.htm

Old February 2nd 05, 05:21 AM

There is also a nice site at http://www.bikewinter.org/
For the race that starts in a couple of weeks,
http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/ , the local bike shop developed double
wide snowcat rims for mountain bikes.
http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

I also hear that a used (or new) bicycle inner brake / gear cable can
be wrapped around the tire and act like chains on car tires.
Experiment and ride slowly until you are confident of the performance.

Old February 2nd 05, 05:36 PM
Johnny NoCom

Johnny NoCom is Not Ed Gin.

If Ed Gin is Johnny NoCom then prove it you dumb assholes at AR.B.R., BROL or whatever dork bent club you come from. FACT is none of you know who the real Johnny NoCom is when he tells it like it is to Fat Old Slow Pukes on crap design recumbents.

BTW all F40 condom bikes suck dog****, trikes are for feeble old *******s that have no leg muscles and High SlowGoWalker SUCK and always will.

The Real Johnny NoCom

Snow riding JerZ Fox General 7 October 23rd 04 02:20 AM
Looking for "Chain-slap" solution... Dan Volker Mountain Biking 124 April 13th 04 06:24 AM
Riding in the snow, another way MP General 4 December 15th 03 05:10 PM
Riding with the girls... chirokid Unicycling 6 August 21st 03 06:30 AM