How do you find time for N miles a day?

Old June 20th 05, 06:21 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

Maybe sometimes, I feel as if I should be more "into" riding. But I

You've got nothing to feel guilty about, regarding riding.

Chance are you will become more "into" riding.
That'll just come naturally. You don't have to force it.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 20th 05, 07:18 PM
Colorado Bicycler

I think you also have to factor in:

"What are the benefits to me of bicycling?"

If those include reduced tension, reduced blood pressure, fitness and a
host of other things, then bicycling becomes as important as taking the
blood pressure medication or whatever.

If bicycling is seen as purely something else to be done in the milieu
of life, then it goes way down on the priority list.

FWIW, my wife and I NEVER miss a daily exercise of some sort,
bicycling, walking, sationary bike at the gym. That exercise (i.e.,
bicycling) is WAY up on our priority list - actually at the top.

Old June 20th 05, 08:45 PM
Maggie

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
FWIW, my wife and I NEVER miss a daily exercise of some sort,
bicycling, walking, sationary bike at the gym. That exercise (i.e.,
bicycling) is WAY up on our priority list - actually at the top.

Exercise is a top priority, I exercise everyday. I just do not take
the bicycle out everyday. I have a gym in my basement, so if I can't
take the bike out for an enjoyable ride, ot go for a walk, or get to
the gym where I have a membership.........I just do 20 minutes of
exercise in the basement. Treadmill, stationary bike, gazelle, free
weights....whatever. No matter what the day holds, I can always get
downstairs to do 20 minutes of something. I don't even have to get
dressed appropriately....I just go downstairs. I wish this freaking
work day would end so I can go bike riding. I have one more hour and
its going so slow.

Maggie

Old June 20th 05, 10:13 PM
wafflycat

"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

What about people who have families and their family members do not
ride bikes. Yes, it is a matter of priorities......and riding a
bicycle is not always the appropriate priority. People who do the
family rides and bike together, probably cannot understand why riding a
bike may be way down on the list of an individuals priorities.

I do most of my rides alone. Yes, my husband & son cycle too, but our
schedules mean that the vast bulk of our cycling is *not* done as a family.
It certainly is a matter of priorities, and sadly, too many view the car as
a priority.

Cheers, helen s

Old June 20th 05, 10:30 PM
gds

Priorities have no ultimate truth. They are what is important ot you at
the time. For me, I love exercize and playing sports. I always have. 30
years ago I was very proud that I went almost 2.5 years without missing
a day of training. It was important to me (then).
Now I still love to play and train to play harder. But I also relish
rest days. I also relish eating ice cream.
So, if your priority is getting at least 20 minutes of exercize
(almost) every day, and that is what works for you-- that's great.

Old June 20th 05, 10:54 PM
saki

"wafflycat" waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk wrote in
:

"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

What about people who have families and their family members do not
ride bikes. Yes, it is a matter of priorities......and riding a
bicycle is not always the appropriate priority. People who do the
family rides and bike together, probably cannot understand why riding
a bike may be way down on the list of an individuals priorities.

I do most of my rides alone. Yes, my husband & son cycle too, but our
schedules mean that the vast bulk of our cycling is *not* done as a
family. It certainly is a matter of priorities, and sadly, too many
view the car as a priority.

I'm Maggie's age and have been cycling most of my adult life. Virtually
all my rides are alone.

My husband won't ride with me because he thinks I go too fast. :-) My
younger son, age 11, rides occasionally when he can wake up early enough
(he'll have to learn to do this eventually; he claims he wants to ride in
the Tour de France). My older son (13) has no interest in riding.

I schedule my 14-mile rides between 6-7am. During the school year this
gets me back home in time to walk the boys to their school bus.

Occasionally when I have more time I'll do 21 miles (the basic route is
urban Los Angeles and the early hour helps me beat automobile traffic---
things are reasonably calm at that hour).

I've considered commuting to work, about a 16-mile RT, but there's no
shoulder on the main route to my office and cars are competitive, not to
mention dangerous. I admire commuter cyclists very much but even after
working out alternate routes I can't find one that's safe enough for me.

But the 6-7am timeframe seems a good solution for now.

----

Old June 21st 05, 10:46 AM
Maggie

Rich wrote:
Maggie wrote:

What about people who have families and their family members do not
ride bikes.

Convert them.

Convert them?? OK, I am supposed to convert my family to bike riding?
How do I manage that one? My sons think bicycles are something for
indigents who can't afford a car, people charged with DUI's, or a means
of transportation when you have not reached driving age yet. My
husband just thinks its stupid. And he is an exercise freak. Every
morning faithfully since he was a teenager. Mostly free weights and
the treadmill for running. All of my family is athletic, but none of
them will be bike riding unless they have some type of personality
change in the near future. Bike riding is not something everyone is
into. They all exercise, they are all in shape, they lead active lives
but they are not at all interested in bicycling. The youngest son,
snowboards, surfs, skydives, skateboards, and work outs. That is an
athletic kid. I could never get him to ride a bike unless he was
desperate to get somewhere and did not have a car. My oldest rides a
motorcycle. My daughter works out at the gym and puts in long hours at
the hospital. You give me a method to convert my family to cycling.
I'll try it. We'll see if it works.

Maggie.

Old June 21st 05, 12:38 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Cool, to me that is what it is all about, getting the exercise, no
matter what form.

Old June 21st 05, 12:54 PM
lowkey

"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

It's a matter of priorities. Excepting for workaholics people do have
leisure time. The choice - your choice - is how you choose to use it.

What about people who have families and their family members do not
ride bikes. Yes, it is a matter of priorities......and riding a
bicycle is not always the appropriate priority. People who do the
family rides and bike together, probably cannot understand why riding a
bike may be way down on the list of an individuals priorities.

It's still a matter of priorities. Oh. And organization.

A co-worker asked me [we being of the same age and 30-something spread]
about exercise as he wanted to lose his extra mass as I had - well most of
it , but he has three small kids and no time.

I suggested this.

Assuming you get along with your spouse; come to an agreement. For 30
minutes three times a week you ach have 'your time' to exercise. It doesn't
have to be cycling; swimming, jogging, whatever you wish. The point is the
other spouse takes care of the kids and anything else. Those 90 minutes a
week are _your_time_.

Surely even the busiest of working parents can handle the domestic load for
the other for 90 minutes a week so they can both exercise? Starting from
that and assuming you find an activity you like start expanding the
timeframe.

Secondly, in his case his youngest was getting old enough to ride with him
and the others on their own: TAKE THEM ALONG FOR RIDES. You get brownie
points for getting the kids out the spouse's hair; you are getting some
quality time and memories with the kids you will treasure in later years;
and you will be getting your kids into the habit of regular exercise so that
they hopefully will avoid the obesity epidemic.

Anyways, that's my take. Just call me Dr. Phil.

--
'Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!'
'Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it.'

Time To Find A new After-Work Loop TBF::. Mountain Biking 4 June 13th 05 10:58 PM
Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
Speedplay v. Time Bob M General 3 August 24th 04 08:11 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
Trip Report - Philadelphia - Ste. Anne de Beaupre, QUE and back Ron Wallenfang Rides 9 June 27th 04 05:35 AM