Ah, I finally found "the greatest bike race photo"...

Old July 18th 05, 01:14 AM

Default Ah, I finally found "the greatest bike race photo"...

Remember I was asking about a certain very cool bike race photo last
spring? Then we broadened it to contenders for 'greatest bike pic' and
a few folks posted some pics.

Well, I found the photo I was looking for!

It was from a Miroir way back before the Net, way before color race
photography was available in the US---we only had the little B&W VN
tabloid. OK, we did have Winning finally, but it took a sub to Miroir
to get access to the GREAT Eurostyle race photos---where they used a
flash in the daytime. What a thought!

So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
of the early 1980's...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pi...clos.moser.jpg

(You're welcome.)

Oh, and photo credit and kudos to HENRI BESSON / Miroir.

Here's another supercool photo that I had on my shop wall back in those
years. I found it in the same old folder. More inspiration!

Now, both of these pics show why we resisted sunglasses (and helmets)
when they first came out. Yeah, and both are good arguments FOR them!
Still...what ya wanted was to see the whites of their eyes. Ya wanted
to SEE how your rivals were doing and you wanted to SHOW your own
dominance---or whatever card you wanted to play, or hide. It's like
poker. And this STUPID new TV poker where the morons are wearing
SUNGLASSES is as offensive as the thought of shades used to be in bike
racing. What's the point when you can't see their eyes? The eyes show
the suffering and the victory. Oh well, that was back then...

Here's a link to a pic of OUR king in his prime...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pic.sean.kelly.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled conservative racing... (ouch...no,
I don't really mean it...LA rocks! And so does
GEOOOORRRRRGGGGGIIIIIEEEE!!!!!)

--JP

Old July 18th 05, 03:39 AM
Nev Shea

wrote in news:1121645671.634589.150870
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
of the early 1980's...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pi...clos.moser.jpg

(You're welcome.)

Thanks! That is a good one.

Oh, and photo credit and kudos to HENRI BESSON / Miroir.

Here's another supercool photo that I had on my shop wall back in those
years. I found it in the same old folder. More inspiration!

Where? You forgot to put the link here.

NS
Old July 18th 05, 03:53 AM
ronaldo_jeremiah

I hope those guys are racing to a barber.

Also, they'd definitely look even cooler if they were riding 'bents.

-RJ

Old July 18th 05, 04:30 AM
RonSonic

On 17 Jul 2005 17:14:31 -0700, wrote:

Remember I was asking about a certain very cool bike race photo last
spring? Then we broadened it to contenders for 'greatest bike pic' and
a few folks posted some pics.

Well, I found the photo I was looking for!

It was from a Miroir way back before the Net, way before color race
photography was available in the US---we only had the little B&W VN
tabloid. OK, we did have Winning finally, but it took a sub to Miroir
to get access to the GREAT Eurostyle race photos---where they used a
flash in the daytime. What a thought!

So here's a link to the pic that gave me inspiration back in the day,
of the early 1980's...

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Images/pi...clos.moser.jpg

New desktop. Replaces Pantani on Galibier (sp? etc.)

(You're welcome.)

Thanks.

Ron

Old July 18th 05, 02:07 PM

It's down a bit lower, after my rambling:

http://outyourbackdoor.com/Ima ges/pic.sean.kelly.jpg

He's no whiner.

Old July 18th 05, 02:11 PM

"Those guys" --- good one. Well, I'll let you tell em. They're in their
fifties now, but I still bet on them...

And if anyone is off the front of PR I'd say they look cool enough even
if they're riding 3-speeds.

---JP

Old July 18th 05, 02:15 PM

You're welcome!

Yeah, that clipping is going back on the shop wall where it belongs.
Never to be removed!

There are some pics of Hinault out there that are just about as fiesty,
though.

As always, more contenders in the "best ever bike race photo" category
are always welcome! Sure, it's kind of a silly contest---there are so
many brilliant photos. It's such a photogenic sport! The eyes are a big
part of great cycling. Just ask Lance.

--JP

Old July 18th 05, 04:43 PM

PS: Here's another one of my all-time favorite images. But it's not the
best photo of that day, just the only one I could find. Anyone have a
link to a better version? Man, Greg really shows the maximum spirit and
Kelly shows the maximum deflation in that photo. It totally captures a
huge historic moment in cycling. Poor Sean, never won a World's... So
close! Anyone know of a good video showing the last couple km's of that
race? It was just awesome to watch. As Sean says in the Pez interview:
Greg was just astounding in that rainy, slippery finale. Sean is a
class act.

http://www.bikes.msu.edu/greatest_cy...-screaming.gif

--JP

Old July 19th 05, 03:27 AM
Brian Phillips

That's always been my all time favorite cycling photo... I have the video
that I recorded from TV at the time... If you're in the Sacramento area
you're welcome to come watch it... after the tour is over, of course.

ups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 10:56 PM
Ken Prager

How about digitizing it and putting it on the 'net? If you don't have a
digitizer, I do (and live in Sac).

KP

"Brian Phillips" wrote:

That's always been my all time favorite cycling photo... I have the video
that I recorded from TV at the time... If you're in the Sacramento area
you're welcome to come watch it... after the tour is over, of course.

ups.com...