Bus racks

Old September 1st 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bus racks

On 2018-08-31 11:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Again, if Germany is so gosh darn great, then why have so many
Germans emigrated?

Because it wasn't always great and still isn't in many aspects.
One cannot generalize. For example, public transportation is
clearly better there but bike paths and even more so MTB trails are
definitely not. Before moving to the US I would have never dreamed
that bicycle infrastructure could become better here than in
Germany but it has. Agencies in the various contries could learn
from each other but there is often a lack of willingness.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I wonder what would happen if to create a new bicycling
infrastructure or bus/rail link that would benefit mainly bicyclists,
if bicyclists were told they alone would have to pay for it?

Me and my friends would tell them not to build any infrastructure, which
means they shall also not obstruct us by roads, of course (else there is
an obligation to accommodate). For a real cyclist nature provides
sufficient infrastructure. This is right here in town and I use it often:

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/CoachLane1.JPG

Oh, and add a beer garden 30 miles later, with salty pretzels and all :-)

Case in point: The El Dorado Trail, one of my frequent routes. There
isn't much infrastructure or maintenance other than by volunteers yet
this is the only truly bikeable connection to Placerville. One needs to
have an MTB and at least basic trail riding skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T2c4AXaCY

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Then why in blazes do you want bigger bike racks on buses?

As I wrote several times now, because there are people who'd like to
come along on a ride but who do not have the endurance or trail skills
to finish such a ride in time. Often I cannot leave before 11:30am but
need to be back by 4:30pm. Which I can do but they can't.

It is a good thing if we as more seasoned cyclists convince others to
ride along. However, if their first experience is a total bonk and utter
exhaustion or, worse, a nasty crash they will throw in the towel. I
recently had that happen. Got carried away for a minute, the rider
behind me tried to keep up and took a bad spill. Turned around to look
for him and helped fix his bike. He said he is done trail-riding.

Lyft or Uber, unless your local mass-transit agency is willing to put special racks on its buses so people can go trail riding. Ours is. http://www.mthoodexpress.com/ It has a bicycle trailer. https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...rline-to-town/

Top that.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 1st 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-31 11:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

That is really nice though I am not a downhill dare devil. An MTB riding
friend who is also a kayaker wants to find out if the kayak shuttles
take MTB from Folsom to Lotus. On their web site they have an MTB
picture so they might. That would be $10 which is a bit steep but worth it.

Top that.

Well, we have the Rubicon Trail. A buddy rode it twice this week on his
MTB because it was so much fun. There are people flying in from Europe
and Australia just to ride the Rubicon. Many foreigners have that on
their bucket list.

Old September 1st 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-08-31 11:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

I'm not trying to top, but: Cuyahoga Valley National Park (which runs
along the river most of the way between Cleveland and Akron) has a
historic steam train that makes daily (?) runs.
https://www.cvsr.com/

It's $5 for a one-way ride, and you ride back on the crushed limestone
towpath trail from the Ohio & Erie Canal that was killed by (mostly)
that railroad.

I've never done the "bike aboard" thing. Maybe someday I will just for fun.

But to be clear, the railroad is sort of a historic amusement ride, run
at a big loss by the National Park and associated organizations. Nobody
expects to make a profit. And like most bike paths, fewer than 1% of its
ridership is trying for practical transportation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 1st 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-31 10:27, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Joerg also tends to think every issue is new because he just
discovered it. In 1991, BTA got racks on TriMet buses, mostly due to
individual efforts from our fearless leaders, Jim Ferner and Rex
Burkholder, who then created an organization and a board (including
me) to pursue bicycling related transportation issues.

There were no Townies or giant 29ers at the time, and TriMet adopted
the national standard for racks, which works for most people who use
them. If Joerg wants to change things in the bustling metropolis of
Cameron Park, he should do like we did 27 years ago and work for
change. But then we'll hear about evil government, incompetence and
intransigence. Unions! Or it will trend to a discussion of
microbrewing or awesome trails and trains not going to trails, etc.,
etc. It always goes sideways.

Nope, out transit agency is now looking into that issue. I guess they
realized that this is not 27 years ago but 2018 where 27-1/2" MTB are
increasing in market share, big time. People in Placerville and Cameron
Park who have only one bike usually have an MTB, and that's the main
operating area of this transit agency.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Yet the videos you post only show 26" wheeled MTBs. Where are those 27.5 and 29 MTBs?

Everywhere. Yesterday on the singletrack Folsom-Lotus the only 26" MTBs
were those of my two friends. Bikes that are more than 10 years old. One
has a double-crown fork and also does not fit into the bus racks. All
other riders had 27-1/2" and 29" MTBs despite the fact that part of that
route is downhiller-turf.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If 27.5 and 29ers were so common we'd expect you to post a video of them.

In the videos that is almost impossible to see. Not sure if these a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USLVraV4mU

I see what I see on the trails and that's nowadays going towards
27-1/2". 29" for larger people. 26" are the hardcore downhillers and
they aren't seen often on our trails except on the Darrington at Folsom
Lake which has some very scary rock chutes (I walk those and even that's
hard).

Old September 1st 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Old September 1st 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2018-08-31 11:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

Think about that for a second or two...

--
duane
Old September 1st 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-31 11:06, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

Can you get to the Rubicon Trail for $2 in a city bus with your mondo
29er in a trailer? Does the Rubicon Trail have a classic WPA lodge?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timberline_Lodge You can have a
world-class dinner, a bunch of drinks and spend the night. Hang out
next to the fire place:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...dge-center.jpg
(my wife and I always sit right there).

We don't need fancy-schmantzy, on lonely trails way out in nature I
sometimes bring home-made IPA which can be enjoyed out in the open.

Brewpubs? https://mthoodbrewing.com/

Looks a bit sterile to me for a brewpub. Some of my other "gas stations"
on bike trips:

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...9w_jW32g/o.jpg
http://mrazbrewingcompany.com/home/

Almost right on the El Dorado Trail:

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...GxUtCxzA/o.jpg

American River South Fork Trail:

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...ontal_main.jpg

and so on.

Summer skiing?
https://www.timberlinelodge.com/imag...1525718904.jpg

We got plenty of skiing. It's just not my thing.

How about a great descent on a tiny road bike?
https://tinyurl.com/ybh4trvk I think not.

Nah, too old.

Nooooooo. You just have monster trucks.
https://www.jeepfan.com/wp-content/u...-2-600x381.jpg
Pfffffffff.

No, mountain bikes.

And the bus trip starts in Sandy, Oregon -- home of Joe's Donuts.
http://www.bikesnbrew.com/s/cc_image...4221248772.jpg The apple
fritters are the size of Montana. You cannot top Joe's Donuts.

Most likely Apple Hill in Camino can. Their apple fritters are great but
I don't eat them on account of their effect on the waist line.

... All
of this on a $2 bus ride -- plus great trail riding. Your European
friends need a better bucket list.

$2 courtesy of the taxpayer. You are a welfare queen :-)

Actually, even some of our $10 kayak shuttles are partially subsidized
by the California Air Resources Board or CARB. They want people not to
do the two pickup truck shuttling. Since that's just as bad with
mountain bikers they should also work in that direction, else people
will keep doing it.

Old September 1st 18, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

You can do that, too -- for a $2 bus ride. Also on the same route: http://www.skibowl.com/summer/ and cruising around Government Camp: http://mounthoodinfo.com/ It's got a good taco stand which makes for a nice stop before either slugging up the road to Timberline or for the MTB set, a trail -- or you can split the difference and ride West Leg.

Brewpubs? https://mthoodbrewing.com/

Looks a bit sterile to me for a brewpub.

It's pretty low-brow, actually. I much prefer the vibe of Timberline.

Well, I'm just talking about bus-route brew-pubs. At Timberline, you can also go to the Blue Ox -- buried in the basement stone work of the lodge. https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-c...48-780x639.jpg If we're talking a brew pubs generally, there are 105 breweries in the Portland metro area. https://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/ 5 in Hood River and 12 in the Mt. Hood/Gorge area. You would have to take a different bus, though.

Summer skiing?
https://www.timberlinelodge.com/imag...1525718904.jpg

We got plenty of skiing. It's just not my thing.

Timberline has the only summer skiing in the contiguous 48 states. It's a hoot. Ride up to Timberline, meet the wife with skis. Spend the night at Timberline and go skiing in the morning. Not cheap, but a great outing.

How about a great descent on a tiny road bike?
https://tinyurl.com/ybh4trvk I think not.

Nah, too old.

Nooooooo. You just have monster trucks.
https://www.jeepfan.com/wp-content/u...-2-600x381.jpg
Pfffffffff.

No, mountain bikes.

I'm sure its a wonderful trail, but alas, no city bus. Seriously though, I love the Sierra and spent untold hours riding and hiking the Sierra -- although no mountain biking. If I lived in Cameron Park, I'd be riding up into the Sierra on the road, which I have done on HWY 49. I might actually get a mountain bike or seriously re-do my gravel bike.

And the bus trip starts in Sandy, Oregon -- home of Joe's Donuts.
http://www.bikesnbrew.com/s/cc_image...4221248772.jpg The apple
fritters are the size of Montana. You cannot top Joe's Donuts.

Most likely Apple Hill in Camino can. Their apple fritters are great but
I don't eat them on account of their effect on the waist line.

Could be. I'm on a diet and gave up making fritter comparisons.

... All
of this on a $2 bus ride -- plus great trail riding. Your European
friends need a better bucket list.

$2 courtesy of the taxpayer. You are a welfare queen :-)

True, but all of us oppressed Multnomah County tax payers just paid for the re-do of the Sellwood Bridge, which probably serves more people from Clackamas County -- who refused to pay a dime. We deserve free bus rides in Clackamas County. We deserve free donuts and coffee, too.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 1st 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-31 17:03, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm just talking about bus-route brew-pubs. At Timberline, you
can also go to the Blue Ox -- buried in the basement stone work of
the lodge.
https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-c...48-780x639.jpg

Sweet!

If we're talking a brew pubs generally, there are 105 breweries in
the Portland metro area. https://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/ 5 in
Hood River and 12 in the Mt. Hood/Gorge area. You would have to take
a different bus, though.

After you showed a few examples of growler fill stations in the back of
shops I mentioned that to a cycling friend, an ex-Oregonian. He didn't
know! He said "probably not in Klamath Falls". However, sure enough one
little store there has several good brews for $10/growler. So next time
he drives up there for a visit he'll carry all the growlers he's got,
swing by that shop and surprise his brothers. Who live there and didn't
know about the growler fill counters either.

Summer skiing?
https://www.timberlinelodge.com/imag...1525718904.jpg

We got plenty of skiing. It's just not my thing.

Timberline has the only summer skiing in the contiguous 48 states.
It's a hoot. Ride up to Timberline, meet the wife with skis. Spend
the night at Timberline and go skiing in the morning. Not cheap, but
a great outing.

Well, skiing is not so much for us.

How about a great descent on a tiny road bike?
https://tinyurl.com/ybh4trvk I think not.

Nah, too old.

Nooooooo. You just have monster trucks.
https://www.jeepfan.com/wp-content/u...-2-600x381.jpg

Pfffffffff.

No, mountain bikes.

I'm sure its a wonderful trail, but alas, no city bus.

But less than 90mins by pickup truck. Makes you much more independent as
well. It would be a real bummer if you'd pretzel the chain, have to hoof
it out and miss the last bus back down the hill.

... Seriously
though, I love the Sierra and spent untold hours riding and hiking
the Sierra -- although no mountain biking. If I lived in Cameron
Park, I'd be riding up into the Sierra on the road, which I have done
on HWY 49. I might actually get a mountain bike or seriously re-do my
gravel bike.

Cycling on Hwy 49 is no fun. I had too many close calls on such roads
and now avoid them. There isn't much up there for cyclists until you get
to Mormon Emigrant Trail.

And the bus trip starts in Sandy, Oregon -- home of Joe's
Donuts.
http://www.bikesnbrew.com/s/cc_image...4221248772.jpg The
apple fritters are the size of Montana. You cannot top Joe's
Donuts.

Most likely Apple Hill in Camino can. Their apple fritters are
great but I don't eat them on account of their effect on the waist
line.

Could be. I'm on a diet and gave up making fritter comparisons.

As we get older our body's fuel economy seems to increase without
bounds. For me, no matter how much I cycle and how much I watch my diet
the weight does not drop one pound.

... All of this on a $2 bus ride -- plus great trail riding. Your
European friends need a better bucket list.

$2 courtesy of the taxpayer. You are a welfare queen :-)

True, but all of us oppressed Multnomah County tax payers just paid
for the re-do of the Sellwood Bridge, which probably serves more
people from Clackamas County -- who refused to pay a dime. We
deserve free bus rides in Clackamas County. We deserve free donuts
and coffee, too.

First you were razzing me for that kind of thinking and now you are
doing it as well :-)

Though that's right, at some point we all want to see some benefit for
the taxes paid.

Old September 2nd 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-08-31 17:03, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

I have never razzed you for wanting value for your tax dollar! I'm not crazy. I razzed you for complaining about your metro buses not having racks appropriate for odd-sized MTBs. The Mt. Hood bus is a novelty act (with a trailer) and not a metro bus. It serves ski resorts and mountain communities and not suburban Sacramento. Even SLC has ordinary bike racks, and you can take those buses up the canyons to some awesome trails. Ordinary people on bikes do see a benefit, but you are not ordinary. Fight the power! Stand up for the non-ordinary! But be prepared for people complaining about throwing their tax dollars at a few odd-balls with fat tire 29ers. I wonder why the cowboys of Clackamas County have not made a fuss about the Mt. Hood Express. It is recreational welfare, although it does provide ordinary transit service to the mountain towns.

-- Jay Beattie.

Car racks Owen Australia 4 October 29th 09 09:58 AM
Racks is racks, right? Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 46 September 24th 08 02:46 PM
Racks...Racks...Who needs a Rack??? [email protected] Racing 8 May 25th 06 07:23 PM
Racks Sam Salt UK 17 January 24th 04 05:55 PM
Racks? gravelmuncher Australia 10 November 19th 03 03:40 AM