Cheap lights using CR123 batteries

Old January 16th 11, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Default Cheap lights using CR123 batteries

Well,

Are there any? I need some backup lights, and it'd be nice to use the same
batteries as my main light.

Cheers,
tom

--
We are going to have to be speculative, but there is good and
bad speculation, and this is not an unparalleled activity in
Old January 16th 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:42:06 +0000
Tom Anderson wrote:

Well,

Are there any? I need some backup lights, and it'd be nice to use the
same batteries as my main light.

If you don't find something specifically designed for CR123 at a
sensible price, I'd have thought anything that uses 2 AA cells and has
a voltage regulator would do, with minor modification.

Old January 18th 11, 01:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson wrote:

Are there any? I need some backup lights, and it'd be nice to use the
same batteries as my main light.

If you don't find something specifically designed for CR123 at a
sensible price, I'd have thought anything that uses 2 AA cells and has a
voltage regulator would do, with minor modification.

I might be capable of the requisite modification if the light had
firmware, but if it's hardware, it's very likely to be beyond me!

But very good point; for those playing along at home, CR123s are the same
diameter as AAs, a bit shorter, and twice the voltage (if they're the
rechargeable kind rather than disposables - strictly speaking, CR123A, i
think). Anything which can take two AAs can probably run on one CR123 and
some stuffing. Hmm.

The biggest challenge might be finding a rear light which runs on AA
rather than AAA.

tom

--
Gotta have skills to pay those bills.
Old January 18th 11, 03:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:44:38 +0000
Tom Anderson wrote:

But very good point; for those playing along at home, CR123s are the
same diameter as AAs, a bit shorter, and twice the voltage (if
they're the rechargeable kind rather than disposables - strictly
speaking, CR123A, i think).

3V is rather more than twice the 1.25V you'll get from a typical
rechargeable AA, hence my suggestion of a voltage regulator (which I
think you'll find in all but the cheapest LED lights anyway, but I
could be mistaken).

The biggest challenge might be finding a rear light which runs on AA
rather than AAA.

No shortage of cheap ones on eBay. Or you could just run a cable from
the front light.