New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

Old August 10th 03, 02:55 PM
Joao de Souza

Default New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

skip wrote:

Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of
course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

I ride with traffic. That means I must be able to maintain 30+ mph
speeds while surrounded by cars. Also, even when the traffic is light,
the speed of the green-wave is 30mph. So I still want to go that fast
in order to avoid red lights.

Old August 10th 03, 03:28 PM
skip

"Joao de Souza" wrote in message

skip wrote:

Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless

of
course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

I ride with traffic. That means I must be able to maintain 30+ mph
speeds while surrounded by cars. Also, even when the traffic is light,
the speed of the green-wave is 30mph. So I still want to go that fast
in order to avoid red lights.

Pedal on Joao. Watch out for the cabbies.

skip

Old August 11th 03, 11:34 AM
Dave Larrington

What Jeff said. I used mine for a Several of years commuting into central
London. Which the extra mass made it a little more sluggish off the line,
and the extra length a little more difficult to weave around stationary tin
boxes, overall the trade-off was worth it.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 12th 03, 04:58 AM
JoeG

I agree - the only time the fairing on my GRR is not worth the weight is
when climbing mountain passes; and it's close, even then.

I would say it is most useful for urban riding; which is mostly all I do -
it keeps the rain off.

Old August 12th 03, 12:05 PM
chere

I have the notion that the fairing on my GRR will
assist in the event of a head-on with another
rider. Sanibel bike paths (yes, I ride the path
as there are too many "blind", inconsiderate
drivers in our neck of FL) are loaded with
cyclists who think they're the only ones in
existence. I've had the misfortune of a run-in on
a d/f years ago and MANY close calls on my 'bent.
It's my belief the Kevlar between me and anything
"incoming" may prevent a puncture wound or at
least lessen the severity of injury in the event
of a crash; a sort of "shield" if you will.
Here's hoping I don't have to find out.

--
Chere ~ GRR
Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD