2 WHEEL RIDING 101, Was Dangerous Curves

Old August 8th 03, 11:19 PM
Mark Leuck

Default 2 WHEEL RIDING 101, Was Dangerous Curves

"GeoB" wrote in message
om...

I was thinking about this today as I whizzed around a corner. I
noticed I tilted my head to the right, then once the bike was leaning
to the right, I steered to the right around the corner. I may have
put a tiny bit of turn on the handle bar but I didn't notice it.

Just curious but when going into a turn where do you look? While riding
motorcycles I was taught to look as far into the turn as possible and you
will naturally take the turn properly, haven't figured out if that works on
bents yet but I'd think it should

Old August 18th 03, 05:04 PM
GeoB

Just curious but when going into a turn where do you look?

Think I look at various distances. I am more concerned about lil
pebbles and stuff on a bicycle and may tend to study the road surface
more than while on a motorcycle. I am sure I also take in the big
picture because I always am aware of what is coming up. Guess I'll
hafta pay attention, and notice where I am looking.

While riding motorcycles I was taught to look as
far into the turn as possible and you will naturally
take the turn properly

I agree with this; it has been my experience. I am able to
comfortably go faster on curvy roads this way. May be the same issue
as off-road motorcycle riding; when avoiding an object (rock, root,
tree, etc) look beyond the object. Pick a line and follow it, don't
look at the hazard again. You can see it OK with yer peripherial
vision. When 'froading in my 4x4 I judge the distance between rocks
or trees er sumthin that I have to pass between, while I am still a
ways back. Even if it is a squeeker I can zip through cause I don't
second-guess my original estimate. Getting closer doesn't make this
estimate easier or better. I look through and beyond the hazard and
zip right through. Oh, if it really were 1/4" on each side I'd poke
along, but gimme a few inches and I'm gone.

I'm sure Fab would do it better than I, I have only been doing this
for ~42 years now.