New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

Old August 7th 03, 09:55 PM
Nathan Congdon

Default New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for
GRR-type bikes (ultimately for Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto).
The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
we know it, etc. I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:

www.ffmcycling.com

The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be
there on the final production version.

The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about
these. Also, he says he has used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs,
and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of course
YMMV.

I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a
more durable and quieter fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379
for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential, though
certainly not cheap.

Nathan
Old August 7th 03, 10:46 PM
Joshua Goldberg

I smell a Trap here with my name on it and Fast Freddy and the guy in
Minnesota just waiting for me to put my foot in it....soooo tempting.

IF anyone buys this fairing and uses it on a LWB or CLWB...I'd love to hear
about how it works out...in particular for seeing what is close and in front
of you...like a small dog or a kid running into your path from the right
side.....like from between parked cars.

Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making THAT
mistake again.
om...

Old August 7th 03, 10:48 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Nathan Congdon" skrev

The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
we know it, etc.

Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look over it anyway.
I ride my TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a clear windscreen.
For all I care the whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over and never through it.
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)

I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
of course, the cool factor.

Its a beaut if you ask me.

Mikael
Old August 7th 03, 11:36 PM
Gary Fritz

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote:
Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making
THAT mistake again.

Wow! He *IS* trainable!! :-)
Old August 7th 03, 11:45 PM
Joshua Goldberg

M.S.S.
It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB.
to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem
to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look
down at a dog or kid...could you see it?
***********************************

"Nathan Congdon" skrev

Old August 7th 03, 11:55 PM
Tom Thompson

"DrJoel" wrote in message
I can see where the solid color would be a dangerous thing. I know with my
clear fairing there are times when the sun hits at a certain angle and it

is
impossible to see in front of the bike. But I can see down to the area in
front of the bike where the holes and other dangers lurk and prevent a

flat
or worse. I would say the jury is out until we get some test riders out
there.

There are hundreds of Easy Racer riders who routinely uise a bodysock. That
set-up precludes any visibility through the fairing. In my hundreds of
socked miles, I have yet to encounter a situation made dangerous because I
could not see through the fairing. A properly installed fairing on a LWB
bike will be set for visibility over the top, not through it.

Tom Thompson
Tour Easy
Tidal Wave.

Old August 8th 03, 12:51 AM
Joshua Goldberg

I would still prefer to hear from some buyers. I maybe in the market for a
fairing myself and a CF sounds kinda nice...cutting the weight with Carbon
Fiber will mean I won't have to keep saying no to all my favorite
pastries...nah who am I kidding here, there has never been a pastry I said
no to.

Old August 8th 03, 04:45 AM
Gary Fritz

"Tom Thompson" wrote:
I am waiting for a fairing made from pure carbon with the atoms arranged
in a tetrahedral lattice.

Buckyballs?

A Buckyball fairing would probably cost more than Tom's diamond fairing!
Old August 8th 03, 05:04 AM
Joshua Goldberg

Gabriel
Guess you and Fast Freddy ain't communicating too often. He and I kissed and
made up months ago. My periodic references to Fast Freddy are done in
jest...I figure he knows that to be the case.

As for the fairing...if it works I'll seriously consider buying one with the
$1,000. from you know who.

I have had a Windwrap fairing on a LWB and I coated it in Mylar Film. The
kind people use on Van windows they can see out/you can't see in. Looked
really cool having a Silver Mirror Fairing, blinded the crap out of car
drivers using their Hi-Beams and no I didn't do it for that reason. I did it
to prevent gravel dinging the Lexan...much more cost effective to peel off
$30.00 of Mylar, than to replace the fairing every 6 months.

Anyway one of the downsides to the Mirrored Mylar was it greatly reduced my
ability to see where the f**k I was going and I ride with prescirption
sunglasses on...making a bad situation worse. I was riding and my 20 inch
front wheel went into an open sewer grate...which I did not see fast enough
BECAUSE my lower section of the fairing was NOT Clear. I was okay but the
Stratus and Fairing was toast.

As I said, I want to read some ride reports from people who buy and ride
with the CF Fairing. I am NOT attacking the design and I still hope
everything works out well for Fast Freddy.

As for you.....well what can I say Gabriel beyond "Get over it", Freddy and
I did along time ago.

"Gabriel DeVault" wrote in message
news
"Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making

THAT
mistake again."

Gee, that's a novel concept, don't kock it 'till you try it, sounds
familiar. I think it's rediculous to make any blanket statements regarding
safety, visabilty, etc... about a carbon fairing. It's going to be set up
differently on almost every bike. Sitting on a M/L Gold Rush with a body
sock installed I can see the ground approximately 5 feet directly in front
of the bike, and of course to the sides even closer. There is no way a kid
or dog could just appear in the "very small" blindspot. There are many

other
bikes with bigger "blind spots", like a faired F-40 even some low racers,
and I have never once heard any complaints about visability. Making
mountains out of mole-hills as far as I see it.

What is your beef with Freddy anyways? Anytime his name is mentioned you
have to chime in with some negative comment.

Get over it.

.. .

Old August 8th 03, 06:03 AM
Jeff Wills

"Joshua Goldberg" wrote in message ...
M.S.S.
It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB.
to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem
to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look
down at a dog or kid...could you see it?

Unless the dog or kid pops out of a manhole, you'll see it approaching
from the side long before it's 5 feet in front of you. If something
popped out from the side 5 feet in front of you, you wouldn't have
time to react, opaque fairing or not. Human reaction times are in the
range of 1 to 2 seconds- which means that you'd run over the
object/animal/person before you could react.

A good rider will be looking far enough ahead to allow himself time to
react- it's just plain silly to look at the road as it passes under
your wheels.

Jeff