Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 9th 18, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_7_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

In article , (Bob
Eager) wrote:

Uses a microscopic amount of fuel if you have auto-stop.

Stop-start engine use the same amount of fuel to re-start as a normal
engine does in 7 seconds of idling.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Old September 9th 18, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert

On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 06:40:25 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester, the mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile cretin, blabbered again:

Practise your bendyness on a young maiden.

Is that what your boyfriend says?

That's what the chronic ****** says to himself every day! BG
Old September 9th 18, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 02:13:35 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:20:05 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 12:23 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:11:17 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making
them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc.
So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't get
them the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike
paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing
anymore.

Sharing them when there's a cycle path right next to the bloody road
is
insanity, yet they all do it around here.

I've seen that. They are usually dressed in gaily colored Lycra to
boot.

They're all homosexuals.

Says the poofter that shaves its legs.

Preference for hair is not equal to preference for sex.

In reality it is with males. And the poofters don't just
shave their legs apparently.

I wear the same clothes as I would when out walking.

Which is no clothes at all.

True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Not close fitting lycra and hi vis safety ****.

Old September 9th 18, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

Anyone working for a council is an idiot,

Mate of mine that ran the entire water supply operation isnt.

not sure how that happens, but they have no common sense at all.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Round here, next to a primary school, they've rebuilt the entire junction
(they claim for safety) and not put any kind of markings on it at all.

Likely its just taking a long time to do that stuff there.

Nobody knows which road has priority and I've seen several near misses and
hooting of horns. One day some kids are going to be squashed and I hope a
council moron gets jailed for manslaughter.

Doesn't happen, tho it certainly should with that sort of thing.

Brian Gaff wrote

And so they spend much time and money making special cycle ways, or worse
shared spaces where everyone has to avoid each other resulting in the
less
able not going anywhere near them, reducing footfall in town centres and
putting more people in cars instead.

I do sometimes wonder if the planners actually think things right through
the end. For example even when a cycle way is totally segregated, it
pinches
road space from both vehicles and pedestrians, but come the start and end
of
said cycle way, the cyclist has to go back on the road, cross running
traffic or mingle with pedestrians, so with fewer lanes of traffic, the
flow is slower and with the mixing of cyclists at the end you often need
lights to stop accidents.
It may look good but come mid winter all the good weather cyclists are
back
in their cars moaning about the lack of road space.
I have pointed this out to the councils and others but am met with the
blank its current policy to discourage car use.
Next you will find that shops on top of fighting online competition
will
want cars back to increase their customers again during the winter.
Whatever you do, unless you can move all the building back, you cannot
have it all ways.

Interesting to note that several companies are now back to talking about
cars that run on hydrogen again for long distance use, using fuel cells.
Brian

Old September 9th 18, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Body hair is wrong, end of story. It's what apes have. The more advanced you are, the smoother you are.

I wear the same clothes as I would when out walking.

Which is no clothes at all.

True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Why are you scared of the cold? You do realise that humans are warm blooded?

Not close fitting lycra and hi vis safety ****.

Old September 9th 18, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 03:35:36 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 05:49 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
My friend says Audis are good, although the parts are ****ing expensive.

I bought mine in '72 and Volkswagen was still figuring out how to build
cars with the engine and drivetrain in the front. I'd went in to buy a
Porsche 914 but realized that wasn't going to work. With some sort of
German ingenuity it had less room than my Sprite.

Have you seen the newest (well last 5 or 10 years actually) Ford Mondeos?
The centre console (where the radio goes) has become ****ing huge.
There's zero legroom anymore. I don't understand why they've got that big
lump in there.

When we divorced I kept the Lincoln and my wife took the Audi. She
traded it for a Rabbit (Golf) and got almost nothing for it. She liked
the Rabbit. I rode in it a couple of times and it seemed like a nice
ride.

It's very good indeed, especially the autos. Mine was a '98.

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74 and
the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car was not
designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

My current car (Renault Scenic)

What year ?

can be doing 90mph in top gear on the motorway, and before I know it I'm
going 120. It's bloody difficult to drive slowly.

Manual or auto ?

Once you lot are out of the EU, you'll have decent Korean cars available
tho given you don't buy new, it will take a while to happen for you.

Old September 9th 18, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/08/2018 10:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74 and
the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car was
not designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

Mine was a manual and did that fine.

This was also a manual and would do 55 in 4th but the engine was at the
low end of its rpm range. Much of a hill and you had to drop a gear and
I lived in a mountainous area. I have a bike that had the same problem
with 45, a very common speed limit around town. At least I could change
a sprocket and get 45 to match a useful part of the rpm range.

The strangest part was the plug wires. At around 15,000 miles you would
go out in the morning and it wouldn't start. No misfiring or any other
symptom, just no go. Replace the wires and you were good for another
15,000. I carried a set of spares. I never dug further after figuring
out the problem but I assume the primitive computer had a range of
parameters and a German sense of humor about non-conformity.

Old September 9th 18, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/09/2018 01:11 AM, Jimbore at the trailer trash park ... wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc. So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't get them
the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing anymore.

the problem is when I'm cycling I hate motorists and bikers......when I'm on
a bike I hate cyclists and motorists......when I'm in my car I hate bikers
and motorists........wonder what will happen when I get and build up my
escooter and ride on the road and in cycle lanes and bus
lanes.......probably hate EVERYBODY......except myself for having discovered
the best way to travel around locally ....

You left a few out... When I'm walking in the woods I hate mountain
bikers, unless I'm on a mountain bike of course. If I'm on my dualsport
motorcycle, both are unacceptable. Horses are a pain in the ass no
matter what my mode of transportation is. That goes double if I'm trying
to ride the damn thing.

Oh, and quads suck. Until I get too old to deal with two wheels and then
I guess a quad would be okay.

Old September 9th 18, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 05:23:32 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

My friend says Audis are good, although the parts are ****ing
expensive.

I bought mine in '72 and Volkswagen was still figuring out how to build
cars with the engine and drivetrain in the front. I'd went in to buy a
Porsche 914 but realized that wasn't going to work. With some sort of
German ingenuity it had less room than my Sprite.

The Golf was very decent in that regard. Mine is a 73 and it was fine
for 45 years. Very little had to be replaced, just the alternator
regulator.
I didn't bother to replace the bonnet release cable, just had the wire
coming out of the front radiator grill with a bend in the end of it that
I put in the keyring to release the bonnet.

Must be a common fault, I did the same,

Yours was much younger than mine tho. Weird they hadn't fixed it.

and had quite a few cops say it might cut a pedestrian should I run them
over.

None of them ever noticed mine and what you lot call the MOT never
complained about it either. But I always pushed it back into the radiator
grill with the bend at the end going over one of the plastic bits in the
grill.
No way would that ever cut anyone, the round end wouldn't cut anyone.

They weren't bright enough to understand that people aren't bothered by a
little cut if they've just been squashed by tonnes of steel.

Mine is just a bit of stiff wire, yours sound like it might be flat.
Havent bothered to check the workshop manual of yours.

The odo also failed, and
I didn't bother to replace that either.

I look at the revcounter (on a manual), the petrol gauge, and the
temperature gauge. We don't need any other dials.

You do if you don't want to pay stupid fines for exceeding the speed limit.

When we divorced I kept the Lincoln and my wife took the Audi. She
traded it for a Rabbit (Golf) and got almost nothing for it. She liked
the Rabbit. I rode in it a couple of times and it seemed like a nice
ride.

Yeah, loved mine.

I especially loved mine when I rounded a corner in the snow and
encountered a crashed van blocking the road. It allowed me to brake and
steer at the same time and come to a timely stop. The car behind me did
not. It span a few times then ended up in a field. The van owner's
friend brought a 4x4 and towed him out of the ditch, then we all got the
other useless car out of the field. Then I just drove away with no
damage.

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74 and
the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car was not
designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

Mine was a manual and did that fine.

I've never known a car that doesn't want to go slow, just drivers :-)

I do find that the gearing on the Getz does mean that you have
to be careful to not exceed the speed limit. I normally stay in
3rd in town going down to 2nd around the tighter corners
and it isnt easy to stay below the 50Km limit or even the 60K
I normally drive at, because they wont book you unless you
are over 60K. Same outside town, you have to be careful to
stay below the 100Km limit in 5th. Easy enough to do but
its very easy to get quite a bit faster than that too if you
don't watch it.

That's the main lack, no cruise control, but currently
I keep thinking its silly to spend $20K for cruise control.

Old September 9th 18, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/09/2018 08:10 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I hate anyone who uses headlights during broad daylight. They get my
full beam back.

And I hate anyone with HID lights at any time.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM