Cycling in the Campsies/Kilsyth Hills

Old April 21st 04, 07:59 AM
Hugh Spicer

Default Cycling in the Campsies/Kilsyth Hills

Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

--
Hugh Spicer
_________________________

Old April 21st 04, 08:29 AM
John Hearns

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

Bit further afield,
I once had a great day off road cycling at the Carron Valley reservoir.
Good hard-packed forest roads.
It was a frozen winter's day, and the poor old dog had his paws run off.
He spent the journey home curled in the passenger footwell.
Great day.

Landranger Sheet 57, car park is beside 'Forest Walks'

Old April 21st 04, 10:41 AM
John Hearns

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

I also used to love runs in the forest roads in Garadhban forest,
above Drymen. Park in the car park where the forest road crosses
the Drymen/Gartmore road, about 2km north of Drymen.
Grid NS479906 if I haven't got it wrong.

Head west along the forest roads - yeee-hah.
Followed by pub lunch in Drymen.

But on no account cycle down Conic Hill. No sirree.
Walked like John Wayne for a week after that little encounter
with a slightly too large frame.

Old April 21st 04, 11:11 AM
iarocu

"Hugh Spicer" wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

Not quite in the Campsies but .......
For shorter rides try Mugdock Country park for a mixture of well
surfaced tracks and some paths.
A good longer circular off road route north of Glasgow is to
start at Milngavie town centre follow the West Highland Way to Carbeth
then use the road to go to Strathblane approx 2 miles. At the far side
of Strathblane get on to the walkway which follows the disused railway
to Kirkintilloch.
From Kirkintilloch take the Fort and Clyde canal towpath back to
Glasgow to the junction at the river Kelvin.
From there either follow the Kelvin walkway back to Milngavie , or
use the Kelvin cycleway into kelvingrove park in Glasgow and get the
train back to Milngavie. Either option gives a route of about 25 miles
with 23 off road.
The Kelvin walkway is all rideable but has a mile long section
south of Milngavie that is quite hard going. Otherwise all the above
route is easy but with a nice mix of scenery and a plenty places to
stop. The Stables pub near Kirkintilloch is a good place to stop and
is maybe slightly past halfway on the route.
Iain C
Old April 21st 04, 11:11 AM
iarocu

"Hugh Spicer" wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

Not quite in the Campsies but .......
For shorter rides try Mugdock Country park for a mixture of well
surfaced tracks and some paths.
A good longer circular off road route north of Glasgow is to
start at Milngavie town centre follow the West Highland Way to Carbeth
then use the road to go to Strathblane approx 2 miles. At the far side
of Strathblane get on to the walkway which follows the disused railway
to Kirkintilloch.
From Kirkintilloch take the Fort and Clyde canal towpath back to
Glasgow to the junction at the river Kelvin.
From there either follow the Kelvin walkway back to Milngavie , or
Old April 21st 04, 05:06 PM
Hugh Spicer

ta much for the responses............. i've done pretty much what has been
recommended apart from Conic Hill - I once saw this MTBr going flat out and
flying over his handlebars down Conic Hill - nasty fall.....

Hugh ;-)

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:59:09 +0100, Hugh Spicer wrote:

Can anyone recommend any off road stuff in the Campsies / Kilsyth Hills

just
north of Glasgow. Ta much in advance....

Hmmmm... my posts don't seem to be getting through.

Another great place is Garadhban Forest north of Drymen.
Cycle or drive out of Drymen north on the road to Gartmore.
Park the car where the forest road crosses the tarmac road,
about half way to the antenna marked Bat a Charcel on the map.
Go west on the forest roads. I used to really enjoy trips there
of a Sunday afternoon.

Old April 21st 04, 05:06 PM
Hugh Spicer

[...]

Trip Report - Philadelphia - Ste. Anne de Beaupre, QUE and back Ron Wallenfang Rides 9 June 27th 04 05:35 AM
FS: VHS Cycling Videos-Merckx John Garbe Marketplace 0 February 18th 04 03:07 AM
Good News! MSeries UK 881 February 6th 04 12:36 PM
Danger Threat to all Cycling Newsgroups - VanDolan!!! Robert Haston Social Issues 8 December 7th 03 12:20 PM
FW Calling All Grassroots Women s Cycling Programs! John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 0 November 19th 03 12:45 PM