steerer extender safe for cyclocross?

Old July 28th 05, 08:29 AM

Default steerer extender safe for cyclocross?

I've got a 60cm redline conquest I've been racing for a couple years.
I'd like to race the bars up a couple inches.

The steer tube is only 265mm, so there's no room for more spacers below
the stem. And I can't really get a high rise stem because I need the
horizontal reach.

So I can either buy a new fork with a 300mm steer tube, or try a
"steerer extender" which bolts on to the steer tube like a stem
normally does and adds a couple inches to the steer tube length.

The fork works fine so I don't really care to replace it. But would
that extender by safe for use on a cyclcross bike? It seems pretty
safe to me but cross is pretty hard on equipment and I'd like to hear
any advice from those who know.

Thanks,
Erik

Old July 28th 05, 10:05 PM
C.J.Patten

No cyclo-cross experience but I recently (about 50km ago) added a Zoom
threadless stem extender/raiser/riser (whatever you wanna call it - I don't
think Zoom even knows)

There are single and two-bolt models - I have the two bolt, T6061 model on a
1-1/8" steerer tube. Adds 3+ inches of rise (with all spacers below) and
it's gronked down so well I don't even know it's there. For all intents and
purposes, it's like it's been welded in place. It's beefy too. I'd break a
handlebar before it.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride off-road with this thing. As far as I can tell,
it's as secure as any threadless stem with properly tightened bolts. It came
with an extra long bolt for securing the cap to the star nut too. $15 ish.

C.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a 60cm redline conquest I've been racing for a couple years.
I'd like to race the bars up a couple inches.

The steer tube is only 265mm, so there's no room for more spacers below
the stem. And I can't really get a high rise stem because I need the
horizontal reach.

So I can either buy a new fork with a 300mm steer tube, or try a
"steerer extender" which bolts on to the steer tube like a stem
normally does and adds a couple inches to the steer tube length.

The fork works fine so I don't really care to replace it. But would
that extender by safe for use on a cyclcross bike? It seems pretty
safe to me but cross is pretty hard on equipment and I'd like to hear
any advice from those who know.

Thanks,
Erik

Safety of removing a steerer expansion bolt from a carbon steerer purely to save weight. BigFella Techniques 4 June 16th 05 04:30 PM
Stack height plus head tube isthisclose to steerer length...any problem? Frank Techniques 5 December 18th 04 06:08 AM
Threading a threadless steerer Sven Longren Techniques 11 December 15th 04 02:50 AM
Steerer too long dannyfrankszzz UK 4 July 13th 04 01:55 AM
Safe Routes to School Question Tim Smith General 10 October 7th 03 09:32 PM