Brake pads eating rims?

Old June 28th 05, 07:21 AM
Donald Gillies

Default Brake pads eating rims?

I am really surprised this is happening with tektro pads, i thought
only shimano was stupid enough to make rim-destroying brake pads
(my 1998 ultegra pads ate my mavic CXP 21 rims.)

After replacing my pads with kool stop salmon pads - and no rim
sanding - it worked perfectly - at least until my high-tech frame
failed a few weeks later.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old June 28th 05, 02:42 PM
eflayer2

I have purchased two sets of Tektro brakes. Each time I heard that
grinding sound. Good brakes, but pads are crap. Replaced with Kool
Stop black and all is perfect.

Old June 28th 05, 04:22 PM

try an abrasive pad-from walmort!

Old June 28th 05, 09:00 PM
Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
try an abrasive pad-from walmort!

Clever, "mort" for killer pad?
Bill

Old June 28th 05, 09:19 PM
Tom

Warren, it's the rims. For some reason which I cannot understand, SOME
extrusions will have a granular structure that comes apart exactly this
way. Maybe it's the temperature control or perhaps it's the bottom of
the bucket. Whatever.

A friend of mine had a LeMond which had exactly this problem. He tried
everything and when he replaced his rims (warranty) with the same
thing. It ended up doing the same thing. He then had a set of custom
wheels built and that was the end of the problem.

I've never had this happen on any of my wheels but I personally
observed this problem and I know that he tried three different types of
brake pads.

Old June 28th 05, 11:25 PM

hey-you herd it hear!
the road way runs on friction. the road itself is charged. the not road
is oppositely charged
it is a particle non accelerator of
sorts-particulate-hydrocarbons-regular carbons-filth-shards of
metal-rubberdust expletive deleetd deep ceptin for the rubber eatin
bacteria-
what mess. well it is. check this area out
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18...83&layer=DRG25
cannot breath here.
so run a magnet on the ground near the non accelerator and whola!
totally oxide ferrous planet. this stuff fill the air down there at
ground level and yes the impact of raindrops craters the debris rim
upward and right into your pads. whattabummer.

Old June 28th 05, 11:41 PM

the area to the west-overpeck creek and hackensack beyond was settled
by the dutch in 1492.
rumors have it there were oysters 3' long and so many the dutch fed
same to cattle or goats.