Anyone used a Chinese Bike Bell?

Old June 10th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

Default Anyone used a Chinese Bike Bell?

I want a loud bell. If you've used one of these, was it loud?

Like this
http://www.proidee.co.uk/shop?P=570705&H=froogle

Also here
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductD...categoryID/218
(£4 instead of £10 - not sure if there is any difference)
Old June 10th 08, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rob on a bike[_2_]

On 10 Jun, 14:04, bornfree wrote:
I want a loud bell. If you've used one of these, was it loud?

Like thishttp://www.proidee.co.uk/shop?P=570705&H=froogle

Also herehttp://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/froogle.txt/p...
(£4 instead of £10 - not sure if there is any difference)

Yes, I've used one.

Yes, it's nicely loud.

Yes, that steel clamp fitting will put a nasty deep groove in your
nice alloy stem or handlebars. Go ahead, but do arrange some
protective banding before you tighten it.

Rob
Old June 10th 08, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

bornfree said the following on 10/06/2008 14:04:
I want a loud bell. If you've used one of these, was it loud?

Like this
http://www.proidee.co.uk/shop?P=570705&H=froogle

Yes. It's loud. The first time I used one, he jumped a mile to the
left, she jumped a mile to the right, sproglets jumped all over the
place and the dog started barking.

Perhaps I should have rung it from further away....

It doesn't penetrate zombies with those white mind-control devices
plugged into their heads though!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 10th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:04:59 -0700 (PDT), bornfree
wrote:

I want a loud bell. If you've used one of these, was it loud?

Like this
http://www.proidee.co.uk/shop?P=570705&H=froogle

Also here
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductD...categoryID/218
(£4 instead of £10 - not sure if there is any difference)

I bet it costs about 40p in China.
Old June 10th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Thunderbug

bornfree wrote:
Also here
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductD...categoryID/218
(£4 instead of £10 - not sure if there is any difference)

Got to love the extra description in the 'Overview' box...
Old June 10th 08, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

bornfree wrote:

I want a loud bell. If you've used one of these, was it loud?

Like this
http://www.proidee.co.uk/shop?P=570705&H=froogle

Also here
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductD...categoryID/218
(£4 instead of £10 - not sure if there is any difference)

The difference is the bull**** from the first site - we were selling
those bells 20 years ago, supplied by a regular UK wholesaler, so all
the stuff about how special they are is total crap. They are quite
effective, because they're double and they keep spinning
dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding rather than just dingaling.

OTOH if you want something really distinctive these are quite good
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2272.aspx?Track=FGL
(as fitted by Pashley).

But if you just want LOUD how about the Air Zound?

Old June 10th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 10/06/2008 19:40, Rob Morley wrote:
OTOH if you want something really distinctive these are quite good
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2272.aspx?Track=FGL
(as fitted by Pashley).

That's what I use (in addition to my Pashley). I much prefer the sound
of the Chinese bell, and would use that instead if I rode an upright
bike, but I haven't found a way to mount it on the Street Machine so
that it's readily accessible without being in the way. The big Ding
Dong bell fits neatly on the handlebar curve where I can ring it with
the heel of my hand.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old June 10th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kevin Dublin

Rob Morley wrote:

OTOH if you want something really distinctive these are quite good
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2272.aspx?Track=FGL
(as fitted by Pashley).

I've got one of those ding-dong bells on my old Raleigh Roadster.
Trouble is it sounds like a loud door-bell. People don't associate the
sound with an approaching bicycle. I prefer the traditional dring-dring
bell. I bought it thinking it was a dring-dring but it turned out to be
a ding-dong. Should have given it a test ring before buying. Worst are
those little ones you flick that go ding ding (or ping-ping). To
summarise, in order of preference: dring-dring, ding-dong,
ding-ding/ping ping). What a hoot!

Kevin
Old June 15th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 10/06/2008 22:57, Kevin Dublin wrote:
I've got one of those ding-dong bells on my old Raleigh Roadster.
Trouble is it sounds like a loud door-bell. People don't associate the
sound with an approaching bicycle. I prefer the traditional dring-dring
bell.

I've just recorded 3 bells:
http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z-bells1.mp3

1) A traditional bell
2) A Chinese revolving bell
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/froogle.txt/productID/294/groupID/39/categoryID/218L
3) A big ding-dong bell http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2272.aspx?Track=FGL

They were all held in about the same position, about 2' from the
microphone. I would have liked to have included one of those silly
little ping bells, but CBA to turn everything out of my bits box to find
one. The Chinese bell definitely makes the best sound.

Old June 15th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Danny Colyer wrote:

I've just recorded 3 bells:
http://www.redpedals.co.uk/temp/z-bells1.mp3

An instant URC classic! Marvelous work.

Traditional bells sound louder and clearer if you unscrew the top a bit.
But then the top falls off.

~PB