KMC chains sold in unmarked bags?

Old April 15th 16, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default KMC chains sold in unmarked bags?

Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these things.
Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in a nondescript clear
plastic bubble wrap pack, with the vendor's card in there and the
missing link in a separate tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days?
Just want to make sure it's the genuine thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 15th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/15/2016 9:35 AM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these things.
Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in a nondescript clear
plastic bubble wrap pack, with the vendor's card in there and the
missing link in a separate tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days?
Just want to make sure it's the genuine thing.

Could be genuine.

Bicycle shops that do a lot of volume are sourcing directly from the
manufacturer in Asia for items like this. The stuff doesn't come all
boxed up. I see tubes being sold like this now too. It's a lot better
for the shop than going through QBP or J&B, especially for items that
they sell a lot of and that they aren't going to get stuck with. A 75¢
tube that sells for $6 is a lot more profitable than a $2 tube that
sells for $6.

I recall a colleague whose girlfriend had a shoe box company. I had no
idea how this worked. The shoes shipped from China, and wherever, don't
come in bulky boxes, they are shipped in plastic bags. the distributor
or store boxes them up once they get here and they source the boxes in
the U.S.. Unfortunately, her biggest account was Mervyn's.

Old April 15th 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/15/2016 11:35 AM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these
things. Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in
a nondescript clear plastic bubble wrap pack, with the
vendor's card in there and the missing link in a separate
tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days? Just want to
make sure it's the genuine thing.

Probably an oem packet ( no retail color box).

KMC stamps their links so a magnifier is all you need to
verify it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 15th 16, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-15 09:49, sms wrote:
On 4/15/2016 9:35 AM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these things.
Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in a nondescript clear
plastic bubble wrap pack, with the vendor's card in there and the
missing link in a separate tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days?
Just want to make sure it's the genuine thing.

Could be genuine.

I think it is, I checked for the stamping Andrew mentioned and it's all
there.

Bicycle shops that do a lot of volume are sourcing directly from the
manufacturer in Asia for items like this. The stuff doesn't come all
boxed up. I see tubes being sold like this now too. It's a lot better
for the shop than going through QBP or J&B, especially for items that
they sell a lot of and that they aren't going to get stuck with. A 75¢
tube that sells for $6 is a lot more profitable than a $2 tube that
sells for $6.

I am all for that, and most of all for no excess packaging. Like in the
old days when everything you bought was loose and sans wrapping. I
re-use ziplocks and bubble wrap but a nonsensical blister pack
inevitable ends up in the recycling or, worse, in the trash.

I recall a colleague whose girlfriend had a shoe box company. I had no
idea how this worked. The shoes shipped from China, and wherever, don't
come in bulky boxes, they are shipped in plastic bags. the distributor
or store boxes them up once they get here and they source the boxes in
the U.S.. Unfortunately, her biggest account was Mervyn's.

Oops :-(

That's one of the reasons I never relied on one large account (I am
self-employed).

Old April 15th 16, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-15 10:15, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/15/2016 11:35 AM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these
things. Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in
a nondescript clear plastic bubble wrap pack, with the
vendor's card in there and the missing link in a separate
tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days? Just want to
make sure it's the genuine thing.

Probably an oem packet ( no retail color box).

No box at all. Just a thin bubble wrap pouch. OTOH that is
environmentally almost the best way to do it. Back in the 70's in Europe
they sold chains just sparsely wrapped in some packaging paper and that
was the time when factories like Wippermann slopped huge amounts of
grease onto fresh chains. So you had to carry the chain home in some
sort of container. Same with strawberries and other stuff. Either you
brought a container which was then weighed for tare or you could end up
with a major mess in the shopping bag.

KMC stamps their links so a magnifier is all you need to verify it.

Indeed both the chain links and the missing link have that stamp. Thanks.

I was also puzzled because it's the first time where an Amazon bike part
purchase was from a vendor whose shop I was unable to find on the web.
The others were mostly regular bike shops across the country or sizeable
factories overseas.

Now I have to find back those ceramic-based Novich BB5 pads. I should
have hoarded more of them. At $3/pair the best deal ever on pads for me
and they last longer than Western brands.

Old April 15th 16, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:28:32 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-04-15 10:15, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Joerge - they sell these chains in bulk on a large roll. So it is profitable to pull off 116 links and sell them unpacked. These are perfectly normal chains and you can even get the higher class chains that have the splits in the links (to save weight?) in this manner.
Old April 15th 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 15/04/16 18:35, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these things.
Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in a nondescript clear
plastic bubble wrap pack, with the vendor's card in there and the
missing link in a separate tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days?
Just want to make sure it's the genuine thing.

Iirc KMC stamp their chains. Just have a look at the outer plates.
Old April 15th 16, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-15 10:15, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks, didn't know that. So it seems they sell them like cable.
Depending on how many feet are on a spool it might make sense for me to
buy a spool plus a bunch of missing links and hang that in the garage
rafters.

No need for splits, I am not a weight weenie and always buy the lowest
cost KMC-X10 version for under $25. Sans splits they probably withstand
uphill hammering and rock hits better. I believe one could spend up to
$100 for a golden bling-bling version.

Old April 15th 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-15 11:56, Tosspot wrote:
On 15/04/16 18:35, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

Just got another KMX-X10.93 for the MTB which "eats" these things.
Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Unichcycle. It came in a nondescript clear
plastic bubble wrap pack, with the vendor's card in there and the
missing link in a separate tiny ziplock bag. Is that normal these days?
Just want to make sure it's the genuine thing.

Iirc KMC stamp their chains. Just have a look at the outer plates.

Yep, the stamp marks are there.

Old April 15th 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

people packing that level are retarded.

you were hoping for origami ?

Bags .. BAGS ... BaGs ... STorage ,, seat/handlebar/etc etc question Sir Thomas of Cannondale General 4 October 27th 07 06:06 PM
FS: New Campagnolo Wheel Bags - that's 2 Campy wheel bags! Yenski News Marketplace 0 November 9th 05 04:32 PM
Bob Yak Sold Not known to me UK 0 November 19th 04 09:54 AM
Heads Up: 30% of Ortleib Gear (panniers/bags/handbar bags) in Sydney kingsley Australia 3 January 27th 04 08:40 AM
Well, ive done it - sold the car Lee UK 25 November 4th 03 11:38 PM