Installing a boot in high-pressure road tires

Old February 15th 16, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Installing a boot in high-pressure road tires

wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 10:01:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally switch to
Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road feel. I run them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage.
Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid abrading
the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck with a round
REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing, topped off with a
slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape. I hold them in
place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure tires.

-retroguy

A boot is a temporary measure until you can replace the tire. It avoids
calling home for a ride or getting a taxi.

I carry a folding scissor and a tyvec envelope. I get the envelope from
the US Post Office (Express Mail or Priority Mail). The envelopes are
free (no wonder the Post Office loses money). I'll cut a piece of the
envelope that is twice the width of the cut in the tire. I'll place the
cut piece of tyvec on the inside of the tire, covering the cut and
extending beyond the beads on both sides.

I'll mount the tire and inflate the tube. The tyvec is between the tube
and tire. It is held in place by the beads. If it's sufficiently tight,
the tyvec envelope section should be slightly narrower than the rest of
the tire. This proves that the tyvec is holding the tube in place and not
the tire. I'll use the scissors to remove the excess tyvec that extends beyond the rim.

I've been able to patch 4 inch long sidewall cuts and inflate a 700C-23
tire to 115 psi. No problems. It's cheaper than using a dollar bill.

Canadian money is plastic now and works well for a temporary boot. It also
seems to survive the experience which is good because the smallest
denomination is a five.

--
duane
Old February 15th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-02-14 07:01, wrote:
I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally
switch to Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road
feel. I run them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage.
Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid
abrading the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck
with a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing,
topped off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction
tape. I hold them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure
tires.

I ride Conti Gatorskins on my road bike. Great tires except for
the flimsy sidewalls which can cause premature failure of the whole
tire.

What I do is run very thick tubes with 0.120" or 3mm wall
thickness. Important is that they aren't only thick towards the
running surface but all around. I also apply some talc against
chafing. Yesterday I swapped out a worn Gatorskin tire and the
sidewall had threads chafed through and in some areas you could see
through against the sun. Yet the tube kept it together. I run them
around 110psi. Of course, being a mountain biker I don't really
care about road feel. My road bike sees the occasional rough turf
such a dirt roads or a mile of bush trail.

If it's any comfort the sidewall problem also affects "modern" MTB
tires. The cheaper 26" versions like Maxxis 1040N are great but
you can't get those in 29" :-(

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

In some narrow high pressure 700C tires getting a thick tube into
them is nearly impossible or extremely difficult. I'd rather use
something that is not too hard to repair/replace on the roadside if I
have to.

Mine are 25mm and it fits in there well. Looks almost inflated when
mounted. You have to buy the tube for the correct tire size. With thick
tubes it is not "one size fits all".

For ultimate puncture proofness joerg should use either solid rubber
tires or fill your tubes with concrete. After all Joerg says that
weight nor rolling resistance matters as long as you don't get
flats.

I'd use silicone like smugglers sometimes do in countries where their
vehicles are shot at, if it wasn't such an environmental mess when the
time for a new tire comes.

Old February 16th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 23:20:34 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

This sounds like it would last a whole lot longer than just getting you hom=
e.

Depends on how far from home you are when you flat.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old February 16th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 2:38:27 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 8:20:40 AM UTC+1, Doug Landau wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:50:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I use the wrap of a granola bar to get me home.

In cold weather, I used the original PowerBars to make temporary frame repairs. The wrappers were also good for temporary tire boots -- although my favorite boot material is a $1 bill. For more permanent boots when I just couldn't let go of an expensive tire, I used two Rema patches -- an F1 and one of those long, otherwise useless patches that come in repair kits. You get a little herniation, but not much. I would use an old sew-up casing, but I'm fresh out of those.

-- Jay Beattie.