The antidote

Old October 11th 07, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
DavidR[_3_]

Default The antidote

I went to work on my bike yesterday. In the evening I rode out to visit my
mother.
This made 16 miles altogether.

I didn't wear a helmet.
I didn't ride on the pavement.
I stopped at traffic lights
I used lights and hiviz in the dark
No driver killed me
I didn't kill any pedestrians

Gosh how uneventful.

But it was enjoyable, as expected. I don't see the outside world where I
work so I was surprised to be told it had rained heavily. Although there was
a slight touch of drizzle before I left in the morning and the roads were
damp it didn't develop during my journey.

In the evening the sky was clear, the traffic was light and the lights on
the buildings near the canal reflected in the still water. I made good time
to my mother (the 5 miles only takes 5 minutes longer than by car). The
evening was warmer than expected but I carried fresh clothes. Coming back,
the traffic was lighter, the air fresher and I didn't rush. I like crossing
town on the bike at night - I feel like a ghost, travelling quietly and
anonymously; and even the buildings that are less aesthetic in daylight can
take on a different perspective when under the cover of lights and darkness.

Old October 11th 07, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
vernon

"DavidR" wrote in message
I went to work on my bike yesterday. In the evening I rode out to visit my
mother.
This made 16 miles altogether.

Gosh how uneventful.

I think that this is the case for the 'silent majority' of cyclists :-)

I'm so glad that I don't live in any of the 'war zones' that are regularly
reported upon.....

Old October 11th 07, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
spindrift

On 11 Oct, 06:55, "vernon" wrote:
"DavidR" wrote in message

I went to work on my bike yesterday. In the evening I rode out to visit my
mother.
This made 16 miles altogether.

Gosh how uneventful.

I think that this is the case for the 'silent majority' of cyclists :-)

I'm so glad that I don't live in any of the 'war zones' that are regularly
reported upon.....

I had to cycle across Norwich with loppers, shears and four heavy bags
of coffee in my panniers. WVM behind revved at the lights and hugged
my back wheel as I ploughed uphill. It wasn't safe for him to overtake
and he didn't, so at the summit I turned in the saddle and showed him
a hand, then a thumb up and got the same back. He realised I was
thanking him although I hadn't acknowledged him the whole climb.

Pass it on, too many people want to DEHUMANISE cyclists, thanking
considerate drivers HUMANISES us.

Sorry for shouting.

Old October 11th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In message .com
spindrift wrote:

It wasn't safe for him to overtake
and he didn't, so at the summit I turned in the saddle and showed him
a hand, then a thumb up and got the same back.

Good ; I try not to do it sarcastically, and mostly succeed. Well
said!
--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
Old October 11th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Peter Clinch

spindrift wrote:

Pass it on, too many people want to DEHUMANISE cyclists, thanking
considerate drivers HUMANISES us.

Yup, consideration breeds consideration IME, whatever vehicle you're
controlling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 11th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Kevin Harper

"DavidR" wrote in message
[...]

Well said that man.

I am a car driver and have been known to do over 40,000 miles a year on
business. It's down to about 20,000 at the moment.

I got back onto a bike 6 months ago, for health and recreational purposes,
after well over a twenty year gap. I've slowly built up to an average of
60-65 miles over a week, which is probably peanuts to some of you, but it's
plenty enough for me! My usual ride takes me on local roads, suburban
roads, country roads and the first red route outside of London.

I do wear a helmet, but only because the wife nagged me into it and I do
like a quiet life;

I don't ride on the pavement, probably because I'm of the age when coppers
told you off for doing it;

I stop at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings, manoeuvring myself safely
into the middle of the lane as I do;

I don't zip up on the nearside (or offside) of stopped traffic, but wait
with it and find an alternative route asap;

I've got more lights than Blackpool Illuminations for night riding (I've
actually got two front lights, set up in a similar manner to dipped car
headlights with one lighting in front and one lighting the kerb);

I've got the biggest, yellowest jacket you ever did see;

I haven't been killed by a driver yet, even though dare I say it an Audi
driver tried last night - you should have seen the telling off his
girlfriend / wife gave him when she looked out of the car window and saw how
close he was to me;

I haven't killed a pedestrian yet, although there's always time, I suppose!

I did bike a lot as a kid, however, I'm actually riding more miles now than
ever I used to and I'm loving nearly every minute of it. There have been
some close calls at times, but they've been down to sheer stupidity (and,
I'm not afraid to admit, sometimes on my part).

I really don't understand the total vehemence and blinkered attitudes that
have surfaced lately in this group from cyclists and drivers. Yes, there
will always be a minority of idiots - that's a fact of life. Again,
accidents can, and do happen. Mistakes can be made. We can all misjudge
things at times.

As ever, common sense should rule, Perhaps the amount of driving I do has
given me a bit of roadcraft, because when I'm driving, I look and allow for
cyclists and bikers and when I'm cycling, I consider drivers.

Kevin the Lurker (first post since I've been here in UKRC!)

Old October 11th 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
John Rowland

spindrift wrote:

I had to cycle across Norwich with loppers, shears and four heavy bags
of coffee in my panniers. WVM behind revved at the lights and hugged
my back wheel as I ploughed uphill. It wasn't safe for him to overtake
and he didn't, so at the summit I turned in the saddle and showed him
a hand, then a thumb up and got the same back. He realised I was
thanking him although I hadn't acknowledged him the whole climb.

Pass it on, too many people want to DEHUMANISE cyclists, thanking
considerate drivers HUMANISES us.

Speaking as a driver, I have to say I don't expect thanks from cyclists, and
would prefer you kept both hands on the handlebars except when signalling.

Old October 11th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

On Oct 11, 6:55 am, "vernon" wrote:
"DavidR" wrote in message
I went to work on my bike yesterday. In the evening I rode out to visit my
mother.
This made 16 miles altogether.

Gosh how uneventful.

I think that this is the case for the 'silent majority' of cyclists :-)

I'm so glad that I don't live in any of the 'war zones' that are regularly
reported upon.....

Agreed. I've had some lovely commutes lately, across the hill tops in
watery sunshine, looking at the mist in the valleys below, then
descending into the mist for the last mile. I feel really lucky with
my commute. Virtually no issues with drivers - although I've had three
school buses come rather close in the past few months, one
particularly badly.

Rob

Old October 11th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

On Oct 11, 8:40 am, spindrift wrote:
I had to cycle across Norwich with loppers, shears and four heavy bags
of coffee in my panniers. WVM behind revved at the lights and hugged
my back wheel as I ploughed uphill. It wasn't safe for him to overtake
and he didn't, so at the summit I turned in the saddle and showed him
a hand, then a thumb up and got the same back. He realised I was
thanking him although I hadn't acknowledged him the whole climb.

Pass it on, too many people want to DEHUMANISE cyclists, thanking
considerate drivers HUMANISES us.

I'd love to acknowledge/thank drivers who wait for a safe place to
pass on my rural commute but don't really know how to do it. Typical
situation is me doing 15-20 mph on a bend. The good drivers stay
behind me until the straight, then go past fairly quickly. With the
speeds involved and not knowing quite when they are going to come
past, turning to make eye contact isn't really an option and a
handwave seems too ambiguous.

Any other ideas?

Rob

Old October 11th 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
spindrift

On 11 Oct, 12:37, wrote:
[...]

I raise my offside hand off the bars, keeping the heel of my hand on
the bar, usually they see it and it means I'm not made unsteady by
frantically waving like some kind of mentalist. No offence Sir
jeremy.