Changing my chainrings - help

Old January 2nd 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Changing my chainrings - help

JS

32c. 35c is prob too wide for the frame.

loosening spokes is similar to reducing air pressure for loose surfaces in 4WD

Is kenda shipping tires to AU ?

is AU behind or ahead. AU has the Chinese connection but we USA assume AU is backwards

Old January 3rd 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

As already suggested, a new crankset would probably be the easiest way to get low gears without too much change. Compact cranksets are sold with 50/34 chainrings. Combined with your current 13-28 8 speed cassette or freewheel, should work OK. If its a cassette, then look at maybe getting a 13-32 or 14-32 or 12-32 cassette. Along with the compact crankset.

Wider tires will help comfort. Wide as possible. 28mm or 32mm or 34mm. Assuming you have 700C wheels now. If 27inch, then look for some 1.25inch wide tires. Squishy soft saddles are a bad idea. Wider saddle could be good though. But saddles should be hard on top. Not soft saddles. Big wide soft tires are good for comfort.

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:57:00 AM UTC-6, Thomas Lewis wrote:
This past year I've returned to riding after about 20 years of inactivity.. I put about 1,200 miles on my old schwinn 564 Aluminum this past summer and loved every minute of it. However I find that the 53/39 8speed 13/28 is a little too demanding at my age (66). Any recommendations on what to switch to? I believe the rear wheel has a 126mm spread , so I don't think I can go to a 9 speed rear cassette.

Also, the ride is a bit harsh on my old bones. Any ideas on how to soften the ride up?

Thanks

Tom

Old January 3rd 14, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:39:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Wider tires will help comfort. Wide as possible. 28mm or 32mm or 34mm. Assuming you have 700C wheels now. If 27inch, then look for some 1.25inch wide tires.

I agree with wide tires, with the caveat that they need to be good ones. I'm sure the OP knows not to buy them at *-mart, but someone reading this months from now may not know that.

I've done fine with inexpensive Panaracer Pasela tires, except for maybe a few more flats than I expected. But there are a few wide tire brands that are certainly more expensive, and may be more supple.

It would be nice to have a rule of thumb for maximum tire width for a given frame. I usually find the clearance is tightest between the chainstays, close to the bottom bracket, and I look for at least 3mm (1/8") clearance on each side, so a tire width 6mm or 1/4" less than the measured space. But others may find less clearance at other places, say at a low rear brake bridge, or in the crotch of a "performance" oriented fork, especially a carbon fiber one.

I did get a tire surprise once. A new tire that barely gave adequate clearance at the start of a long tour started scraping my chainstays after about 400 miles. It had actually grown in width. I had to change to the next narrower width at that point.

Squishy soft saddles are a bad idea. Wider saddle could be good though. But saddles should be hard on top. Not soft saddles. Big wide soft tires are good for comfort.

There are suspension seat posts, and some people say carbon fiber seat posts help for shock absorption.

Also: http://www.bicyclinglife.com/PracticalCycling/Sore.htm

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 6th 14, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

As far as we need worry for cycling spoke stiffness is constant with

gnaw...and for FK..man wants to ride his bicycle not pursue mechanical engineering.

tire needs 1/4" ech side minimum...35c/32c.

14/15/14 spokes are analogous to loosening the current spokes \.

Old January 6th 14, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:57:49 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

32C minimum? I've ridden 22mm tubulars for over 40 years.
When will any problems start to appear?

In life in general, problems tend to appear soon after a person says "I've never had any problems." It's one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law.

Here's hoping you (and I) will continue to prove Mr. Murphy wrong.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 6th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 06/01/14 23:40, wrote:

As far as we need worry for cycling spoke stiffness is constant with

14/15/14 spokes are analogous to loosening the current spokes \.

No.

--
JS

changing cranks solocycles Unicycling 3 September 9th 07 07:02 PM
Changing Middle and small chainrings Javier Techniques 12 May 12th 06 03:04 PM
Changing forks on a MTB Chris Eilbeck UK 6 August 1st 05 05:59 PM
Changing freewheel Ken General 16 May 24th 05 02:11 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 02:27 PM