Replacing UG freehub with FH-290

Old February 18th 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Replacing UG freehub with FH-290

On 2016-02-17 15:51, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:20:08 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Jobst used to argue that the entire torque load through a
freehub ratchet is supported by only one pawl, but that's only be
true if variations in pawl spacing are larger than bearing
tolerance. I've suspected that Shimano deliberately left a little
bit of bearing slop to ensure this wouldn't be the case.

Except Andrew and John said they usually don't encounter any play
in Shimano hubs. Maybe it's different on new versions.

The 8/9/10 speed freehubs I've looked at have had no perceptible
play, but three out of three M290 freehubs that I'd paid close enough
attention to, had their little bit. I'm guessing tolerances have
tightened up with newer bodies as the narrower sprocket spacing would
be more sensitive to the play.

That is comforting to know. Meaning I didn't get a defective one (it was
new).

As for axle/dust shield issues, I've actually found it less
expensive to buy complete old-stock FH-M290 hubs off of eBay than
to buy just the freehub body itself. This gets you an axle with
the appropriate seals to match what's in the freehub.

True, but I despise spoke jobs, having a hard time truing the
wheel afterwards. It's just the road bike so not too much trail
dust. Eventually I'll put MTB seals on there. So far I fashioned my
own for the drive side, using a greased-up leather plumbing seal.
That sits under the cassette lock nut and looks like nothing could
get in there. On the left side there's still the original seal.
That's worn so I'll do something there as well. But at least now I
can ride the bike again.

I wasn't suggesting to replace the hub with a new one, only that the
new hub can be a source for a freehub body and other parts along with
it. Put the new hub in a vise, and you can remove the freehub body
from it to put on your wheel.

That's what I did. Left the hub in the wheel and changed only the
freehub body. Plus some axle stuff because the M290 is longer than the
old 600EX body. Had to take it all apart again because the chain was
binding on a luggage rack bolt when on the smallest sprocket.

Next ride I'll try that same hill to see that this new hub doesn't
go ka-crunch on it like the previous one did :-)

Here's hoping it doesn't.

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg