Cateye LED headlights

Old September 11th 03, 12:38 PM
Horace

Default Cateye LED headlights

I want to start commuting to work sometime this fall, but will need a
headlight. I've seen lots of posts about the hi-power systems ($100+), but
that's out of my price range now.

I'm interested in one of the Cateye LED headlights (EL300), which I can
power with rechargable batteries. Has anyone used them? If so, how would you
rate the illumination?

Horace

Old September 11th 03, 01:26 PM
Rivermist

If you need the light to see where you are going you will need the expensive
systems. The LED lights are just if you want a light for the cars to see
you.

. net...

Old September 11th 03, 01:38 PM
Ken Bessler

"Horace" wrote in message
. net...
I want to start commuting to work sometime this fall, but will need a
headlight. I've seen lots of posts about the hi-power systems ($100+), but
that's out of my price range now.

I'm interested in one of the Cateye LED headlights (EL300), which I can
power with rechargable batteries. Has anyone used them? If so, how would

you
rate the illumination?

Horace

The light is absolutly painfull to look at - IMHO it's a bargain.

Ken

Old September 11th 03, 01:53 PM
Ron Hardin

Horace wrote:

I want to start commuting to work sometime this fall, but will need a
headlight. I've seen lots of posts about the hi-power systems ($100+), but
that's out of my price range now.

I'm interested in one of the Cateye LED headlights (EL300), which I can
power with rechargable batteries. Has anyone used them? If so, how would you
rate the illumination?

Horace

It's not enough to see with. Get the Cateye HL-1500 (4 AA's, works with NiMH's);
in fact get two and you'll be very happy, one on each side of the handlebar.
Oncoming cars dim their lights rather than raising them when they see two lights.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 11th 03, 02:34 PM
Pbwalther

My experience is the same as everyone else here. LED headlights are superb for
making your bike visible. But they do zip for illuminating things that go bump
in the night or even worse things that will make you go bump in the night.
Even with a high powered headlight, having an LED for backup would not be a bad
idea.
Old September 11th 03, 02:52 PM
Robin Hubert

"Horace" wrote in message
. net...
I want to start commuting to work sometime this fall, but will need a
headlight. I've seen lots of posts about the hi-power systems ($100+), but
that's out of my price range now.

I'm interested in one of the Cateye LED headlights (EL300), which I can
power with rechargable batteries. Has anyone used them? If so, how would

you
rate the illumination?

Like others said ....

What's your safety or life worth? I can't believe how many people won't
drop $100 to be safe for, how long (?), a couple year's worth? How much is
that per commute? Think rather hard about that before you cheap out on
lights.

Anyway, you can buy a two-bulb Sigma Sport 5/20W bulbs with 3.2Amp hour 6v
rechargeable lead acid battery for about $60.
http://www.sigmasport.com/index_usa.html.

Give me a holler if you can't find someone to get you one.

--
Robin Hubert

Old September 11th 03, 03:18 PM
patrick mitchel

Horace wrote in message
. net...
I want to start commuting to work sometime this fall, but will need a
headlight. I've seen lots of posts about the hi-power systems ($100+), but
that's out of my price range now.

I'm interested in one of the Cateye LED headlights (EL300), which I can
power with rechargable batteries. Has anyone used them? If so, how would

you
rate the illumination?

Horace

horace; How bout some specifics....commute distance, time of commute, on
what surface (city streets, country roads?) You can by with an el300 IF the
rouute is a well lit city street but only at lower (less than 15 mph)
speeds. If I was on a poorly lit road, working it hard, then I'd need some
more light (cept if I had the eyes of an owl). I'm using about 5 watts with
a BISy light and find it ok in poorly lit conditions- nice pattern - good
cutoff at the top of the pattern but a little bit more lumens would be
appreciated. Pat

Old September 11th 03, 09:39 PM
Ron Hardin

Steven Scharf wrote:
Also get a xenon strobe, not an LED flasher for the rear.

Put TWO steady-mode Vista Eclipse LED taillights on the back, at
about 1 foot spacing. They're plenty bright and are what traffic expects
to see and interpret easily as a vehicle. Same principle as using two lights
on the front.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 12th 03, 01:46 AM
Horace

"patrick mitchel" wrote in message

horace; How bout some specifics....commute distance, time of commute, on
what surface (city streets, country roads?) You can by with an el300 IF

the
rouute is a well lit city street but only at lower (less than 15 mph)
speeds. If I was on a poorly lit road, working it hard, then I'd need

some
more light (cept if I had the eyes of an owl). I'm using about 5 watts

with
a BISy light and find it ok in poorly lit conditions- nice pattern - good
cutoff at the top of the pattern but a little bit more lumens would be
appreciated. Pat

The commute would be on urban streets, some in neighborhoods, some in
commercial (i.e. 45 mph) areas, around 5:30-6:00 p.m., which is our
afternoon rush time. Distance is roughly four miles, which I expect would
take maybe 15-20 minutes. There are several route options for avoiding most
of the high speed traffic. Most of the streets have adequate lights, though
not always closely spaced, and are in good condition. The only bike light
I've ever used was a tire-powered generator set-up, some 30 years ago, which
was incredibly b-a-d. :-) (I think it was a Schwinn).

Old September 12th 03, 02:10 AM
Horace

"Steven Scharf" wrote in message
Those LED lights are "being seen" lights only.

Some inexpensive higher power lights a

Cygo Lite Night Rover 12 watt 6 volt Gel-Cell Lightset, $53
http://store.airbomb.com/site/intro4...=37&SKU=LT7814

Sigma Sport Mirage X 5-20 watt
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LT1025, $52

Also get a xenon strobe, not an LED flasher for the rear.

You could build something yourself as well. See http://nordicgroup.us/s78

Thanks for the links! The Sigma Sport looks like a good deal. I'd really
like to avoid the lead-acid/Ni-Cad batteries if possible.