high temperature damaging floor pump?

Old July 15th 05, 06:29 AM
41

Default high temperature damaging floor pump?

wle wrote:
is there any lube that will not kill the rubber?

Plungers may be leather or rubber. For either, try Brooks Proofide,
beeswax, Sno-Seal, or similar.p

Old July 15th 05, 08:58 AM
meb

Dale Benjamin Wrote:
I had a Bell composite pump that worked for a couple years before I lef
it in
the back of my car, then the main tube warped. Still worked, just
little bit
fussy.

Pumps aren't going to last forever, the rubber gasket need
lubrication, and the
lubrication causes deterioration, so if you get three or four years ou
of one,
that's all she wrote. Some people have got much longer use out o
them, depends
on how lucky you are.

Like the other poster said, the rubber parts are going to deteriorat
much more
quickly in the trunk, where temperatures can get kind of high.

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
Is there any risk to a floor pump kept in a car in the summer from
high temperatures?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

I used to live in the desert. Temperatures got much higher in th
driver compartment. I once had a 180F reading in the drive
compartment. The plastic interior pannels eventially crumbled i
several of my cars. The rubber and plastic parts deteriate. Th
plastic parts of the pump may get hotter in the driver compartment tha
the trunk, and they can deteriorate from the heat in the back of th
car

--
meb

Old July 15th 05, 04:52 PM

the bike pumps are not industrial, designed as light and saleable to
lite weight people. they wear in normal use-400-500 pumps? with
adequate lube and clean.
leaving a pump in heat drives the lube out, ages the plastics, vinyls
or rubber. so that's x minus 400-500 pumps.
take the seat off if leaving cycle under the sun. bar foam lasts much
longer if covered with a trash bag strap to seat post.
like ted williams' head, everything is better kept cold.