New Bike, Reputable LBS, So what is the Problem?

Old August 7th 04, 01:34 PM
Curtis L. Russell

Default New Bike, Reputable LBS, So what is the Problem?

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:41:32 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

In a peculiar way I resent that remark. I fail to understand why the
purchase of a $1000 bike ought to entitle a customer to any less effort to
make the bike roadworthy than a $5000 bike.

Have to agree here. Other than the example I just used of a true
custom bike (picking frame size, components, color etc.). the more one
spends GENERALLY corresponds to knowing more about bikes. Bike racers
for instance have probably talked to death their choice with team
mates and other racers, so they don't need a lot of input from the
wrench at the shop on what they want. Or how to set it up.

$ 1,000 is now an entry level bike for many, so the hand holding
should be greater.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 7th 04, 03:25 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:30:39 GMT, Glm wrote:

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 02:12:24 GMT, Bill wrote:

Sounds like a loose crank arm and all it needs is a bolt tightened.
About 60
seconds worth of work. Will the shop replace the crank when it is
damaged by
riding with it loose? Most shops offer free adjustments on new bikes
after a
little use.
Bill

"Bring it in after a couple of hundred miles and we'll give it a good
going over!" was the sales pitch.

The mechanic tried to tighten the crank arm but couldn't move it. Played
around with the rear derailleur limiter instead - seeing him put the bike
on a stand and turn the pedal a fewe revolutions really impreesed me...

Tell the mechanic you'd like him to either:

a) go out and ride it around and see the problem himself, or
b) go out and ride around next to you so you can demo the problem.

Either way, no improvement whatsoever. Could be the pedals, I suppose.

Regardless, still at a loss as to why, with over half a dozen employees in
the shop and not a single customer, they thought it would take a week to
do anything to it!

Anyway, I received my answer from the newsgroup, viz., that I am not being
an obdurate old ass by asking them to take a look at it.

-B

Old August 7th 04, 03:43 PM
khill

Glm wrote:

I have a 3-week old bike, a Roubaix Elite 27, that I purchased from
what is supposedly a reputable dealer in Manhattan.

snip
Any thoughts on how to handle what I assume is a common challenge for
people who buy new bikes would be appreciated. Thank you.

Glm

Buy a book like "Zinn and the Art of Roadbike Maintenance" or use a site
like www.parktool.com and learn to diagnose and fix problems yourself.

Bikes aren't complicated machines and anyone with basic reading skills,
patience, and a little dexterity can learn to fix them. You'll derive
more satisfaction from being self-sufficient than from supporting
businesses which don't take your problems seriously. Plus, you never
have to wait for some shop to open to resolve an issue. Just buy the
tools you need as you go along and save money (and, in my experience
time) by ordering parts and supplies online.

- khill

Old August 7th 04, 03:57 PM
rick

"Bill" wrote in message

"Glm" wrote in message

newspscbr8zo1ipeop9@artemis...

I have a 3-week old bike, a Roubaix Elite 27, that I purchased from what
is supposedly a reputable dealer in Manhattan.

I've tried pretty hard to support the LBS, buying quite a few

accessories
there, not moaning that they forget my club dicount, etc. It's

expensive,
but convenient and, well, these shops have to make ends meet, so why
not?! One tries to establish some goodwill.

A couple of days ago, the left crank started to 'jolt' whenever it

passed
the eleven o'clock position. Not on every turn, but let's say, six

times
out of ten and right across the cassette and chain-rings (i.e., not
specific to any gear).

I waited until I thought the LBS would not be busy then took the bike in
for inspection. It was quite clear that no one wanted to look at it.
Eventually managed to get a mechanic to spin the rear wheel and fiddle
with the derailleur adjustment. I explained that I failed to see how

that
would stop the left-hand crank from jolting (it happened at the same

crank
position, regardless of gear or chain position, etc.). No joy: they
clearly weren't interested in helping further. Said I could leave the
bike there for ten days so that they could do a 'full check-up'.

And I certainly wasn't asking them to tighten cables and polish the seat
for me. My only concern was this crank/bracket anomaly.

So, at the same time I'm paying over the odds for lubricants, cleaners

and
a cadence monitor for my Polar device (another $70). Still, no interest
in looking at the bike.

I assume it's the LBS's responsibility to sort this out, but I am
reluctant to press the issue as the last thing I want is a p*ssed-off
mechanic playing around hastily with the bottom bracket on a bike rhar's
cost me well in excess of $2,500 (including bits and pieces, tax, etc.).

I'd be happy to go and pay a few dollars for another shop to sort this
out, but, frankly, I have no idea which places are good. And I cannot
guarantee I'll get any better service!?

So, my question is: will my LBS refuse to touch the bike if I have

another
shop look at this particular problem? And, if not, does anyone know a
decent LBS in Manhattan who could sort this out in a few hours.

Any thoughts on how to handle what I assume is a common challenge for
people who buy new bikes would be appreciated. Thank you.

Glm

Sounds like a loose crank arm and all it needs is a bolt tightened. About

60
seconds worth of work. Will the shop replace the crank when it is damaged

by
riding with it loose? Most shops offer free adjustments on new bikes after

little use.
Bill

Might be a stupid suggestion but why not trying the bike manufacturer ?
Call them and explain the bad representation and the bad service you get
from their dealer, you never know !!

Old August 7th 04, 04:33 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

It's the total package that makes something worthwhile or not. I might
have
"101 niggling little complaints" about my wife, but I wouldn't trade her

for
the world. Give me 10 seconds to contemplate that before hitting the

send
key. OK, I'll stick with that one.

For us that don't work at bike shops, we spend a lot more time with
our wives. Well, most of us do. 101 niggling issues, even as
hyperbole, is a bit more than should be for even the process of buying
a custom bike from the ground up. And this isn't the case here.

If there is another bike shop in the area that is competent, then
maybe its time to take a look there.

My point, which I didn't make very well, was that one can look hard enough
and find a whole lot of little things wrong with anything. Some people make
a career of it, and are very rarely (if ever) happy, while others, facing
the same situation, find reasons to enjoy life. I'm not suggesting that
there isn't a very serious issue regarding the gentlemen's bike and that
shop! I'm just saying that, if we look hard enough, we can find fault with
anything.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 7th 04, 08:23 PM
Doug Purdy

"Bill" wrote in message
Sounds like a loose crank arm and all it needs is a bolt tightened. About

60
seconds worth of work. Will the shop replace the crank when it is damaged

by
riding with it loose? Most shops offer free adjustments on new bikes after

little use.

I didn't think it was possible to tighten a loose crank arm. After riding
enough to know it happens across all gears it would need replacement. Any
bike person would know that. Something funny is going on in that shop that
they know they have to replace the crank but each person is trying their
best not be the messenger shot by the manager/owner. Or is it something
about the person who asembled the bike?

He needs to talk to the manager/owner.

Doug

Old August 8th 04, 03:04 AM
Mark

Default Buying new bike advice

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message m...
This thread reminds me of something that people might want to think about
when buying a new bike.

There's nothing at all wrong with asking the salesperson who you see, after
buying the bike, if something isn't quite right mechanically. Maybe even an
introduction to the service manager if you like. Then, if something does
come up, I'll bet you'll be taken a lot more seriously when you say "I was
told when I bought the bike that I should see Mark Benson if there were any
problems. Is he around?"

The manner in which they answer this request might be quite telling!

Ultimately, the most expensive bike you can buy is the one that sits,
unused, in the garage.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hi Mike, I've found in quite a few instances, that the "Salesman" is
the owner of the shop, and many times too, is the chief mechanic who
oversees all operations. Mark D.
Old August 8th 04, 10:07 PM
tcmedara

Glm wrote:

However, one must weigh against this principle (and I detest being
ripped off or exposed to incompetence or, worse still, indolence or
carelessness) the fact that I want to go out and ride my bike; and
that, if I don't ride my bike, I'm going to crack open another bottle
of wine, which will for sure cost more than getting this problem
resolved at a second LBS!

Well said, I'm often quite willing to pay extra for good support or just to
bring the PIA factor down. Everything has costs.

Tom

Old August 10th 04, 04:25 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi Mike, I've found in quite a few instances, that the "Salesman" is
the owner of the shop, and many times too, is the chief mechanic who
oversees all operations. Mark D.

Quite right, and nothing wong with a shop like that. Many years ago that
would have been me. But the original poster referenced a shop that had two
locations and quite a few employees.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old August 12th 04, 03:41 AM
Glm

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:25:43 GMT, Glm wrote:

So, my question is: will my LBS refuse to touch the bike if I have
another shop look at this particular problem? And, if not, does anyone
know a decent LBS in Manhattan who could sort this out in a few hours.

Any thoughts on how to handle what I assume is a common challenge for
people who buy new bikes would be appreciated. Thank you.

Glm

Thank you for all the responses to date. A brief update: I found that the
problem persisted, but it seemed only whilst I was exerting little effort
upon the pedals.

Went back to the LBS. Another gentleman said he'd have a mechanic open up
the bottom bracket on the left-hand side. I observed that it might make
sense to play around with the pedals first - Look 396 - and see whether
that helped.

Mechanic vanished with the bike for a few minutes. Returned observing
that he had "tightened things up".

Then, the chap who'd refused to help the previous day sauntered over,
"Still not right, eh?"

Glm: "Nope. As I mentioned yesterday. But, your mechanic just tightened
up the epdals and crank, so I'll take it around the block and see. As I
observed when we last spoke, I doubt it's anything serious. Just want to
be sure."

Chap [sporting inane prepubescent grin]: "Wow, it's weird. You know, I
had some weird squeaking noise on my bike; and it just vanished as if by
magic! I just couldn't believe it?!"

Glm: "How interesting [sic]?!"

Chap: "Mind if I take it out and see how it's running?"

Glm: "Be my guest. I seem to recall suggesting that you do that
yesterday!"

[Exit. Five minutes later.]

Chap: "Seems ok to me."

Glm: "Glad to hear it. I'll take it a few times around the Park [Central,
that is] and let you know!'

Seems that much, if not all, of the 'play' that seemed to be in the crank
has been addressed. I never thought that it was a huge problem. Just
wanted someone to take 60 seconds to look at it, which has now been done.
No idea why it was so hard in the first place. Again, thanks to all in
the NG for your help.