Gas Electric Hybrid Bike. Builder claims 130mpg

Old March 23rd 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
chewbacca

Default Gas Electric Hybrid Bike. Builder claims 130mpg

Check this out. This could be the cleanest gas electric hybrid setup
I have ever seen.

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319
Old March 23rd 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
chewbacca wrote:

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319

130 mpg is believable, considering that actual motorcycles can exceed
100 mpg.

However, that is otherwise an especially stupid concept. The handling is
virtually guaranteed to be bad, if not disastrous: that's a very narrow
track for a delta trike, and the problem can only be exacerbated by a
number of heavy components mounted very high. I can't figure out if the
rear suspension is likely to make the handling problems better or worse,
but it's probably necessary to cope with the considerable weight on the
rear end.

Note that electric bicycles, by their nature, are hybrid vehicles. Even
gas-assisted bicycles are hybrids, since you can use the gas motor, your
legs, or both to power the bike. This design adds weight and complexity
(lots of both), probably murders the net efficiency of the energy
conversion by going engine-battery (via charger!)-wheels.

I have to wonder how far this cyclist is planning to go that his needs
were best served by the generator instead of extra batteries. This setup
would have a longer range than any inexpensive battery pack, but I
wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's lots of trips that are,
for this bike, in the "sour spot:" rides short enough that if he had the
gen-set's weight in batteries, he could do it all electric, but because
of that lack (and the weight of the generator) he has to run the engine
to top up the existing batteries.

Even the original non-gas bike seems pretty sketchy, but it's basically
targeted as a long-distance mobility scooter, which explains things like
the seating position and the narrow track and, well, let's just say I'm
not in the target demographic.

http://www.boomerbents.com/pg8.htm

Looking at that page, it appears the available battery pack for that
thing has a 40 mile range. I assume you could nearly double that with a
second battery pack on the back rack where our creative friend has put a
Honda generator. Who is riding more than 80 miles between charges on
their ludicrous mobility trike? My guess is as good as yours.

In fairness, the generator/etc. package is probably cheaper than a
second extended-range pack, since those appear to be somewhere north of
$1000 on the options sheet for a new Raptor.

But that's largely an argument for a pure-gas system.

Old March 23rd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

chewbacca wrote:
Check this out. This could be the cleanest gas electric hybrid setup
I have ever seen.

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319

Except for advertising the pilot as a dork of the first order, what does
it do my bicycle doesn't?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 23rd 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

it keeps the owner/designer/builder tuned in !!!

like these guys http://www.velosolexamerica.com/

when I get fed links for hyper-recumbents, the urge develops to get
down on the subject, develop a hands on understanding and stick a
hyperwarp alternate energy motor in it. Like there are visually
alluring designs if not...

I was working on a way to draw or trap energy from the 40 microvolts
per in the surrounding air but the government supresses my efforts
thru the mob. No BS. I have developed an attitude.

Butbutbut right? why do thinkers continue going on about electrics and
hydrogen when the electrics and hydrogen come from burning
hydrocarbons ? an interesting series of man on the hybrid energy
interviews.

At least we should get a percentage gain from every expositon on
hybrid this and ... right?
Old March 24th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
datakoll wrote:

it keeps the owner/designer/builder tuned in !!!

like these guys http://www.velosolexamerica.com/

when I get fed links for hyper-recumbents, the urge develops to get
down on the subject, develop a hands on understanding and stick a
hyperwarp alternate energy motor in it. Like there are visually
alluring designs if not...

I was working on a way to draw or trap energy from the 40 microvolts
per in the surrounding air but the government supresses my efforts
thru the mob. No BS. I have developed an attitude.

Butbutbut right? why do thinkers continue going on about electrics and
hydrogen when the electrics and hydrogen come from burning
hydrocarbons ? an interesting series of man on the hybrid energy
interviews.

Because, first, some people's electricity is not generated by
hydrocarbons (most of the base power in British Columbia is
hydroelectric, with LNG plants to fill in the peak needs), and second
because even considering the entire efficiency cycle, the efficiency and
emissions control provided from large stationary plants is (at least
potentially) far greater than that of tiny gas or diesel engines mounted
on a bicycle. The power plants can also use, with ease, marginal
hydrocarbon sources like coal, and if designed well, can burn that coal
fairly efficiently and cleanly.

And it's relatively easy to convert all of your power sinks (electric
cars or electric bicycles) to cleaner power by upgrading your power
sources (say, to nukes or hydro or solar or wind or whatever ends up
being effective in your area).

At least we should get a percentage gain from every expositon on
hybrid this and ... right?

Some hybrids make more sense than others. This hybrid trike is nearly
anti-sensible.

Still waiting for a full hybrid diesel,

Old March 24th 08, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Begging the question
"Of the renewable energy sources that generate electricity, hydropower
is the most often used. It accounted for 7 percent of total U.S.
electricity generation and 73 percent of generation from renewables in
2005.'
Often said supplies 73%
Your assumption about centralized power is cleaner may or may not be
accurate.
Its like Its like car truck rebuilds. You're buying the machining,
materials, energy to produce. That's how Mr Trike needs to get upfront
about what he's doing the bottom up mnot fantasy down.
While centralized power doesn't use maybe as much transportation
energy to spread the energy around, the materials still need be moved
centrally and one source pollution may have greater damaging eco
effects than 1 giga more lesser sites.
excellent exampull-road rubber is eaten by bacteria, butbutbut tire
dumps...
Old March 24th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Mar 23, 12:42 pm, A Muzi wrote:
chewbacca wrote:
Check this out. This could be the cleanest gas electric hybrid setup
I have ever seen.

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319

Except for advertising the pilot as a dork of the first order,

I think the biggest clue there is this line: "My other Hobby?
Building a Knight Rider car."
Old March 25th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
datakoll wrote:

Begging the question
"Of the renewable energy sources that generate electricity, hydropower
is the most often used. It accounted for 7 percent of total U.S.
electricity generation and 73 percent of generation from renewables in
2005.'
Often said supplies 73%

Here in BC, the majority (though not all) of our power is hydro-based.
BC imports about 15% of its energy needs (we're working on it) and has
several gas-generator power stations, mainly to offer buffer-power
during peak demand times.

Your assumption about centralized power is cleaner may or may not be
accurate.
Its like Its like car truck rebuilds. You're buying the machining,
materials, energy to produce. That's how Mr Trike needs to get upfront
about what he's doing the bottom up mnot fantasy down.
While centralized power doesn't use maybe as much transportation
energy to spread the energy around, the materials still need be moved
centrally and one source pollution may have greater damaging eco
effects than 1 giga more lesser sites.
excellent exampull-road rubber is eaten by bacteria, butbutbut tire
dumps...

That's an argument for better end-of-life management of the tire, aka
shredding. Of course, tires are specifically intransigent, because
they're extremely well put-together and very hard (read:
energy-intensive) to take apart.

Portable gas generators are among the least emissions-controlled engines
on the market. Power plants are among the most controlled, and benefit
from economies of scale that help efficiency and emissions control.

Mr Trike is doing some weird stuff in the service of a distorted ideal
of a hybrid vehicle.