A small bicycle infrastructure victory in my city, thanks to me.

Old April 2nd 16, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A small bicycle infrastructure victory in my city, thanks to me.

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 10:24:24 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/1/2016 8:28 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 07:09:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/1/2016 1:34 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:46:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/31/2016 7:47 PM, John B. wrote:

But all argument aside. Do you believe that I am justified in hauling
my 40 ft. sailboat, on a flat bed trailer, down the highway at a safe
speed of 25 mph? Say, down the road in the center of your village at
high noon?

Yes, absolutely. The boat would be a bit unusual, but the rest of the
rig or the speed would not be. Not in the least.

We happen to have lots of utility work going on right now. The gas
company is replacing all the natural gas pipelines, which is actually
pretty interesting. But there are lots of vehicles moving about our
streets at far slower speeds these days. People just have to be patient.

The main exceptions are limited access highways, which are reserved for
vehicles that can maintain a minimum speed; but as stated, even some
limited access freeways permit slow vehicles and bicyclists.

You might profit from reading _Bicycling and the Law_.

Do you think it applies to the roads I ride on?

A lot of it would not; but if you enter discussions about American laws,
it would certainly apply in those discussions.

Actually I am writing about having good sense on the road, which I
suggest applies to any country.

You say, "of course you can haul a boat down the city streets". The
boat hull was 13 feet wide, forty feet long and about 13 feet high. As
it was a keel boat the hull required a cradle, outboard braces or
structure to prevent it falling over, which must be wider then the
beam of the boat, so realistically it is at least a 15 ft. wide load.
But the Truck and Trailer are legal registered vehicles.

My experience has been that hauling a load of this size through city
streets require both special permission and a police escort. At least
it did when I did it :-)

Oversized loads do require permits. If they require removing utility
lines, etc. (as in the local houses that I've seen moved by truck) those
permits are much harder to acquire.

But taking a normal load on a regulation-sized flatbed truck through our
village at 25 mph? Absolutely no problem. Heck, on some of the
streets, anything faster might get you a speeding ticket!

And the reason? Can it be that "thou shall not impede other road
users"?

Um... the reason it's absolutely no problem is "thou shalt not impede"??
You've got something backwards.

Anyway, I don't remember that phrase being in the bible.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Moses begat Bott
Old April 2nd 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/2/2016 8:46 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Oh, THAT Bible. Everyone has their favorite Book:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-coni-66671959

Tying this together with the "magazine" thread and the do-it-yourself
discussion:

When I was a kid, my absolute favorite book was _Henry Reed Inc._ by
Keith Robertson. It was written as a diary by a 13-year-old kid
spending the summer with his relatives out in a rural area.

The thing that charmed me, I think, was that young Henry knew things and
_did_ things. He hunted truffles, built box traps, sold turtles and
rabbits, observed wildlife, and even got into aerospace research - sort of.

I once read of a sociological study, claiming you could see the effect
of children's literature in the culture of a nation 30 years later. I
hope to influence my grandkids to _do_ things.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 16, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M
Old April 9th 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXu...&nohtml5=False
Old April 9th 16, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 1:53:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXu...&nohtml5=False

ah yes.... there is an accidemt at the corner I posted group of white clad cyclists and a white coupe all very shiny and in the place where we see tailenders from converging lanes following a sharp left of a median jughandle.

Maybe they're headed to Forest Lawn.

There is no cycle lane there.

no sirens but a fire truck from the station around the bend rolled by.