TT bike

Old April 19th 16, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

Default TT bike

A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Thanks
Old April 19th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/19/2016 9:14 AM, steve wrote:
A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Thanks

Do you like it and does it fit you? Those are important
questions.

You might actually borrow or rent it for an event. Rider
times do vary from one day to another even on the same bike
but you'll have an informed opinion after a 40 minute
sustained effort.

p.s. 12% improvement is humor/hyperbole or in sales lingo
'puffery', something obviously untrue but entertaining.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 19th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"steve" wrote in message ...
A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Thanks

As Andrew said if you like it, it fits you and you can ride it - here Andrew's idea of a trial race is important. As for time savings then assuming you can get a good aero position on your road bike with aero bars then the time savings will be less than 30 seconds. If it allows you to get a better aero position than on your road bike then one to two minutes might be credible. If you really want to go faster then start with a skin suit, aero helmet and shoe covers first as these give you far more time and cost a lot less. Here is a link you might find useful in deciding in what order to purchase any new TT gear:

http://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/bigge...ial-equipment/

Graham.

---

Old April 19th 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 7:14:54 AM UTC-7, steve wrote:
A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Yes, because shaving five minutes off your TT time will win you the Starbuck's coffee card rather than the crappy swag water bottle or nothing at all. You will quickly earn back your $800, probably in less than 100 time trials.

Really, though, $800 could be a killer deal depending on which model you're buying and if it fits -- and if it works and is not broken, etc., etc. The wheels and components alone could easily justify the price.

I wouldn't buy the bike because my garage is full, and I avoid time trials -- even when I raced a lot. I'm more of the strategic type (read: sit on someone's wheel). But if you're riding TTs, its a relatively small price to pay to avoid having to re-purpose your Madone every time you ride a TT.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 19th 16, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 19/04/2016 12:51 PM, Graham wrote:

"steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well with all other things being equal. He doesn't say with Madone or
which Felt. If the Felt weighs 5lbs less than the Madone and/or the
Felt fits him better then maybe he can get better improvement. On the
other hand, if the reverse is true then maybe the aero of the felt won't
help.

Andrew's advice is the best I think.

Old April 19th 16, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 10:14:54 AM UTC-4, steve wrote:
A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Thanks

your friend is an asshole

tellum to fly it

Old April 19th 16, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 7:14:54 AM UTC-7, steve wrote:
A friend of mine is trying to get me to buy his Felt TT bike for $800. I don't have TT bike. I use a madone with aero bars when I race. I would like to have TT bike but is it really worth the $$ for the increased speed? The motor (me) will still suck.

He claimed (n jest I think) that I would improve 5 minuted in a 40 minute TT. I would be thrilled with 1.

Should Io for it?

Thanks

I have the skin suit, Shoe covers & a cheap aero helmet. I'm not sure what Felt model it is but it does have DI and the owner is racing it right now he just wants another bike. $2000 to gain 10 seconds so he says. My Madone is a 5.2.

I really don't expect this bike to make me that much faster as I say the motor sucks But it would be nice not to have to rework the Madone before & after any racs.