Riding as a catalyst for friendship

Old January 19th 05, 08:56 PM
Olebiker

Default Riding as a catalyst for friendship

I led my club ride last Sunday, and a friend I hadn't seen in a long
time showed up. We rode together for a while exchanging pleasantries
and catching up with each other.

"You heard that my husband left me, didn't you?" she asked.
Somehow or another, that news had missed me. As we rode on she told me
about the breakup and her response to it. Thirty-five miles later she
apologized to me for burdening me with her tale of woe and thanked me
for being a good listener. Had I been trapped in a chair or an
airplane seat listening to such a story I would have been eager to
escape. The bike ride made it easier to listen, offer appropriate
affirmations, and just be there to let her vent.

When I stop to think about it, the best friends I have made in my adult
life are the folks I have ridden with. Bike riding gives us that most
precious commodity in our busy worlds: time to connect.

Dick Durbin

Old January 20th 05, 03:55 PM
TomCAt

Well, did you do the ................

We want the rest of the story. The part about when you went over to fix her
spoke, and she came out with the ... on and you ........... then
you................ and .....

oups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 12:36 AM
Olebiker

There was a time, many years ago, when I might have taken advantage of
her misfortune. Whether I have an increased sense of decency or
decreased libido is a matter for debate.
Dick "old enough to know better" Durbin

Old January 21st 05, 02:24 AM
GaryG

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
There was a time, many years ago, when I might have taken advantage of
her misfortune. Whether I have an increased sense of decency or
decreased libido is a matter for debate.
Dick "old enough to know better" Durbin

A lonely athletic woman who rides a bike, coming on to you in lycra? That's
not "taking advantage", that's a charitable act of love and (hopefully)
mutual hedonistic pleasure!

Here's hoping my libido is never that "decreased"...

GG

Old January 21st 05, 01:42 PM
Olebiker

A lonely athletic woman who rides a bike, coming on to you in lycra?

That was TomCAt's fantasy.

That's not "taking advantage", that's a charitable act of love and

(hopefully)
mutual hedonistic pleasure!

Explain that to your wife.

Here's hoping my libido is never that "decreased"...

Hey, it frees up a lot of time for bike riding.

Old January 21st 05, 04:22 PM
GaryG

"Olebiker" wrote in message
ups.com...
A lonely athletic woman who rides a bike, coming on to you in lycra?

That was TomCAt's fantasy.

That's not "taking advantage", that's a charitable act of love and

(hopefully)
mutual hedonistic pleasure!

Explain that to your wife.

Ahhh...you neglected to mention your penal status in your original post.
That does complicate the ethics (as well as the logistics) of the situation
;-).