Too tall to ride Specialized?

Old July 18th 05, 03:44 AM
Cyron

Default Too tall to ride Specialized?

i'm confused on the sizes that specialized bikes will accommodate. i'm
6'6" and currently ride a trek that's 25" and it's time for an upgrade.
Is XL the biggest Specialzed goes and also i'm wondering if that will
fit me properly. one last thing, what numbers (ex. 20.5, 21, 20)
actually fit under the catergory of xl? thanks for your time

Old July 18th 05, 09:05 PM
Ted Bennett

"Cyron" wrote:

i'm confused on the sizes that specialized bikes will accommodate. i'm
6'6" and currently ride a trek that's 25" and it's time for an upgrade.
Is XL the biggest Specialzed goes and also i'm wondering if that will
fit me properly. one last thing, what numbers (ex. 20.5, 21, 20)
actually fit under the catergory of xl? thanks for your time

A quick look at specs on Specialized's website shows that they no longer
specify the seat tube length, which is what your numbers refer to. That
is because since the general use of sloped top tubes, the actual seat
tube length has little relation to the dimension formerly known as seat
tube length.

The most important dimensions for you are the top tube horizontal
length, which affects the reach to the bars, and the standover height,
which is useful to know if your nads will survive a quick get-off.

The XL is the biggest they make, and that's the one you want. A decent
dealer will help you with fitting to get the correct stem length and
rise, and the seat height.

Good luck.

--
Ted Bennett
Old July 19th 05, 07:43 AM
Chalo

Cyron wrote:

i'm confused on the sizes that specialized bikes will accommodate. i'm
6'6" and currently ride a trek that's 25" and it's time for an upgrade.
Is XL the biggest Specialzed goes and also i'm wondering if that will
fit me properly. one last thing, what numbers (ex. 20.5, 21, 20)
actually fit under the catergory of xl?

I'm 6'8", and I ride a 27" road bike. In my opinion, you will not be
able to find a good fit on any bike called "XL". Either hold out for
another bike with a 25" frame, or look for terms like "XXL", "Jumbo",
etc. Many manufacturers have lost interest in pursuing small segments
of the market-- like the one we belong to.

Don't waste your time and money on a bike that will never fit, from a
company that doesn't care to sell one that does fit. Go elsewhere, and
support a manufacturer and an LBS who provide what you need.

Chalo Colina

Old July 20th 05, 10:47 PM
Nick Payne

I would say XL will be too small for someone 6'6". I ride an XL compact
(different brand) and I'm only 6'. The Rivendell Atlantis and Rambouillet
production frames come in sizes up to 68cm (thats 26.7"). www.rivbike.com.

Nick